Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Cricket] *** England v West Indies, Trent Bridge, 2nd Test. ***

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sad watching the once mighty Windies being trounced so easily these days. Its almost cruel to force them to play us.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Sad watching the once mighty Windies being trounced so easily these days. Its almost cruel to force them to play us.

Just a bit of payback for 30 years go

1721392717042.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
What's cruel (and largely the reason for the trouncings) is that the revenue from the tour doesn't get shared so they basically don't make any money from playing.

And then everybody responsible for that pretends to be upset and to care about test cricket, while doing absolutely nothing to fix it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Wood steaming in again after lunch... Root drops a fairly straightforward edge from Hodge at 1st slip.

144-3... West Indies making a decent fist of this so far...

Athanaze 40* Hodge 20* have put on 60 for the 4th wicket

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Alick Athananze 50* (67 balls, 9 fours) :clap2:

His first half century in Test Match cricket.

WI 178-3

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am in a weird position of winning us to lose this. I love bazball at the right time but we seem to take it too far. It just becomes slogging. I canā€™t see how we can go to Australia and try and play like this because it never really feels like we are never in. Their bowlers wonā€™t have to work as hard, ours will have to work harder due to less rest.

I am also against retiring Jimmy. I would rather we played the best attack to win each match. I am a huge woakes fan but is he really better than Jimmy here? Will he go to aus? Surely not.

We need to start scoring 600 when dominant and grind teams into the dust. Our poor bowlers would appreciate the rest!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What's cruel (and largely the reason for the trouncings) is that the revenue from the tour doesn't get shared so they basically don't make any money from playing.

And then everybody responsible for that pretends to be upset and to care about test cricket, while doing absolutely nothing to fix it.
Yes, and that's why all those who would have been cricketers are either playing basketball or baseball as there is more money.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I'd agree with you in last test but batted well today (excluding shot just played by Athanaze to get out)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd agree with you in last test but batted well today (excluding shot just played by Athanaze to get out)
We haven't won over there for some time either.

But the first Test was a worry. So today is good to see.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes, and that's why all those who would have been cricketers are either playing basketball or baseball as there is more money.
More to the point, it's why the most talented cricketers they do have don't play test matches.

Imagine what an England team over the last 10years or so would look like if you took Anderson, Broad, Stokes, Woakes and Root out of it.

And Buttler and Bairstow for that matter. At least Foakes would have played more tests.:lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why did it take about 50 overs before Stokes came on - still injured ?
Couldnā€™t get himself on quick enough in cloudy conditions at Lords, now itā€™s a sunny road heā€™s nowhere to be seen!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I am in a weird position of winning us to lose this. I love bazball at the right time but we seem to take it too far. It just becomes slogging. I canā€™t see how we can go to Australia and try and play like this because it never really feels like we are never in. Their bowlers wonā€™t have to work as hard, ours will have to work harder due to less rest.

I am also against retiring Jimmy. I would rather we played the best attack to win each match. I am a huge woakes fan but is he really better than Jimmy here? Will he go to aus? Surely not.

We need to start scoring 600 when dominant and grind teams into the dust. Our poor bowlers would appreciate the rest!
To be fair, 2010/11 aside, it's not like we've had any particular success with the bat in Australia by batting in a more conservative manner. That "their bowlers wonā€™t have to work as hard, ours will have to work harder due to less rest" pretty much summarises every tour we've had down there since at least 2000.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
We haven't won over there for some time either.

But the first Test was a worry. So today is good to see.
They've also won a match on each of their last two tours over here.

I really struggle with the rush to write them off as no hopers who'd rather be playing basketball every time we play them, when everytime we play the West Indies they're drastically more competitive than they have any right to be or are given any credit for, entirely despite the set up of international cricket basically being designed to destroy the whole concept of a West Indies team.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They've also won a match on each of their last two tours over here.

I really struggle with the rush to write them off as no hopers who'd rather be playing basketball every time we play them, when everytime we play the West Indies they're drastically more competitive than they have any right to be or are given any credit for, entirely despite the set up of international cricket basically being designed to destroy the whole concept of a West Indies team.
Looks like they have every chance of a first-innings lead here.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The West indies also won a test in Australia earlier this year. I donā€™t think we have managed that for 13 years have we?

The attitude of our players and management towards them is not great. Just assume we will turn up and beat them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here