Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** England v West Indies, Trent Bridge, 2nd Test. ***

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Better from the West Indies after drinks as they lost their heads in the first hour

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Same here, it's a real shame that cricket is on the down over in the Caribbean, We have links with a couple of teams over there, one in Barbados and one in Sint Maarten and the main problems stem from:

1. The corruption throughout the West Indies Cricket Board and some of the individual member states
  2. The rise of football internationally; it's easier and cheaper to play football and with players who have gone to play in Europe and the US, it's far more attractive and there is more money.
  3. Lack of investment in key facilities, not just stadiums. But nets, equipment and coaching.

We try and take a couple of players every year for experience, some are raw but have talent and some are clearly too good for the standard. However, it is getting harder to get players over unless they have European passports or are aussie/kiwi.
Yeah that is so sad. Like Simster and others I remember the days when the Windies were gods, and whilst I wouldn't want to see a complete return to those days it is really sad that they are so poor.

I'd read before about the switch of interest to football. I'd also heard that baseball was making inroads. Is that true? (Never been myself).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah that is so sad. Like Simster and others I remember the days when the Windies were gods, and whilst I wouldn't want to see a complete return to those days it is really sad that they are so poor.

I'd read before about the switch of interest to football. I'd also heard that baseball was making inroads. Is that true? (Never been myself).
I don't know about baseball but I think basketball and football are the two games that West Indian people look at these days. Football made huge inroads into new markets when the WC got expanded to 32 teams and Caribbean islands suddenly found themselves qualifying. Basketball is just one of those games that is popular with anyone inside the American sphere of influence.

Both sports need very little in the way of facilities - especially football. I suspect cricket has suffered because of these sports more than corruption.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Worth bearing in mind that many of the West Indies most talented players just never play first class cricket, never mind tests, because they make the entirely rational decision to focus on the shorter formats (T20 in particular) where they get paid much more.

All countries (maybe with the possible exception of India and Pakistan) have issues with young people having all sorts of alternative activities nowadays. If the West Indies had the money to pay players to give test and first class cricket more attention then there's comfortably enough talent and interest there for us to not have the constant hand wringing about people preferring basketball every time we play them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bloody hell Root what was that?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Not too sure about the baseball thing. I do know it's much bigger in Caribbean countries that weren't commonwealth (plus The Bahamas).

Jul 20, 2003
Just to make things more difficult for them West Indies have dropped a couple of regulation catches and missed another couple of half chances.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
41.2 W Sinclair to Brook, OUT
Horror shot, toe-ends a paddle-scoop to short leg and Sinclair is off somersaulting! Oh dear. Brook pre-meditated, looking to shovel it through fine leg and gets a long way forward, trying to turn a good-length ball into a half-volley. But he makes a mess of it, miscuing it towards midwicket via the toe and it loops up for McKenzie to settle underneath. Sinclair brings out his trademark celebration and West Indies have an opening!

Harry Brook c McKenzie b Sinclair 36 (34b 5x4 1x6) SR: 105.88

England 201-4

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Ollie Pope 103* (143 balls, 14 fours, 1 six) :clap:

His 6th Test Match hundred.

2 drops on the way - but plenty of good shots too.
I've watched bits and pieces in between work, and it crossed my mind earlier that it might be the worst hundred I've ever seen. :lolol:

I guess I've probably seen equally scratchy innings that lacked all the good shots.

Jul 20, 2003
I've watched bits and pieces in between work, and it crossed my mind earlier that it might be the worst hundred I've ever seen. :lolol:

I guess I've probably seen equally scratchy innings that lacked all the good shots.

Similar here, reminded me of Nicolas Jackson's v Spurs last season.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pope currently on 120 for 4

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I saw him playing against Sussex at Wantage Road on the first day of the season a few years ago (it'll have been 2016). He hit a double hundred in the end. Looked class.

We took one wicket the whole time I was there and it fell while I was in the bar chatting to the guy working there. I've never been colder watching sport. :lolol:
Ha I was there too Sid. 😃

Made Jofra Archer and Chris Jordan look like amateurs.

Duckett fell out with Jimmy Anderson, when he was a kid, in a county championship match - he was swatting Jimmy about the ground.
Anderson got really stuck into him verbally and the feud seems to have got nasty later on.
A big reason why Duckett couldn’t get a game for years.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Pope currently on 120 for 4

He's gone this time...

Ollie Pope c Hodge b AS Joseph 121 (167b 15x4 1x6) SR: 72.45

57.1 W Alzarri Joseph to Pope, OUT
Driven with hard hands, plucked at slip! Joseph hits the pitch hard, Pope climbs through the apparent width, but the ball gets big on him as it skews high to Hodge at first slip, who swallows the offering in both hands, leaping to his left. That all happened in oddly slow-motion. Not sure anyone quite expected the breakthrough, least of all Alzarri!

England 281-5

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Ha I was there too Sid. 😃

Made Jofra Archer and Chris Jordan look like amateurs.

Duckett fell out with Jimmy Anderson, when he was a kid, in a county championship match - he was swatting Jimmy about the ground.
Anderson got really stuck into him verbally and the feud seems to have got nasty later on.
A big reason why Duckett couldn’t get a game for years.
Funny that you mention those two bowlers, because they weren't playing (assuming we definitely are talking about the same day).

Magoffin, Robinson, Shahzad, and Garton were the seamers. Good attack on paper if they're anywhere near their best [they weren't].

Wasn't it the 2017/18 Ashes series where Duckett poured a pint over Anderson's head? I can sort of understand why Anderson would have been grumpy, the rest of England's bowlers were bloody hopeless on that tour.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's gone this time...

Ollie Pope c Hodge b AS Joseph 121 (167b 15x4 1x6) SR: 72.45

57.1 W Alzarri Joseph to Pope, OUT
Driven with hard hands, plucked at slip! Joseph hits the pitch hard, Pope climbs through the apparent width, but the ball gets big on him as it skews high to Hodge at first slip, who swallows the offering in both hands, leaping to his left. That all happened in oddly slow-motion. Not sure anyone quite expected the breakthrough, least of all Alzarri!

England 281-5
God Bless The Pope

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here