May 8, 2007
Toronto
3 wickets down.

Only 300 left to win though :clap2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
England - after a relatively brief renaissance in the Flintoff, Swann, Pieterson, Strauss era - now back to the normality of the bulk of the last 25 years:

Grabbing defeats from the jaws of victory.
Record batting partnerships being set against us.
An inability to take 20 wickets over 5 days.
Allowing teams that aren't even that hot these-days or bothered about Test Cricket, to get results against us, even in our home conditions.

It was always a dangerous thing to say, but 2 years ago, the England management or captain were mouthy that the aim was to beat South Africa home and away in Test Series to prove we are the best, then hold that position for many years to come, as Australia had for 15 years. South Africa visited in 2012, defeated us easily, despite English conditions and wickets. Overall, we have declined alarmingly ever since. There's a difference between well founded quiet confidence (think Dave Brailsford, Clive Woodward and Martin Johnson), and unfounded comments that only serve to fire up the opposition.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can we invent another game cause we're shit at cricket, oh and football.

Even with a load of Johnny Foreigners playing for us. I shudder to think where we'd be with a full English XI. Probably down there with Zimbabwe and Afghanistan.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't forget rugby, we have just been spanked for the 3rd consecutive time at that as well.....

No comparison - we had one bad half in six against a team that hasn't lost at home for 5 years. We did very well on that tour.

Anyone get the feeling that Plunkett was a reluctant nightwatchman?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England for years have failed with the nightwatchman. The players chosen invariably get out before the close, the management fail to communicate what is required, the wrong person is chosen, it's a total disaster.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
58-5

The game is really in the BALANCE.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'll go for England all out for 207 in the 10 minutes before tea. I fancy Broad might play a gutsy "captains innings in waiting" to delay the inevitable but the new ball will do for us.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I expect the usual glimmer of competence, just enough to make you think "hang on we could do this" before the inevitable embarrassing collapse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here