Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v France

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Crouch is class. I don't know why we don't play him more often. It might be a selective memory, but I do think we are a better team with him playing.

We are a better team with him in it and his goals scored record for England speaks for itself.

The only worry I have is that when Crouch plays England think that they HAVE to launch every ball into the box. His goal tonight proves that he has a decent touch and is quite capable of dealing with balls other than ones crossed in at 8ft hifh.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
First half - Outplayed
Secondhalf - Respectable (Harsh boos at the end)

Probably slightly better than expected really, if you knew anything about France's front 5 and Englands inexperienced line up.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Hart
M.Richards Cahill Jones Gibbs
Johnson Henderson Wiltshire Walcott
Emmanuel-Thomas Crouch

Just play that team, give 'em time to gel. :shrug:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Hart
M.Richards Cahill Jones Gibbs
Johnson Henderson Wiltshire Walcott
Emmanuel-Thomas Crouch

Just play that team, give 'em time to gel. :shrug:

I wish Capello would when will people realise that Stevie ( 5 good games for england) Gerrard has had his day along with the crocks in Defence and Lampard and Rooney

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I wish Capello would when will people realise that Stevie ( 5 good games for england) Gerrard has had his day along with the crocks in Defence and Lampard and Rooney

Harsh on Gerrard, I thought he was superb tonight. Personally I think he has been an excellent player for England but been very restricted by our managers tactics in the last ten years. He's been a lot better than Lampard and most of the others over the years.

And it must get a bit much when youre not only having to carry your club team mates every week but also your international colleagues. I also think he should be full time captain, I think the other players react well to him

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
First half - Outplayed
Secondhalf - Respectable (Harsh boos at the end)

Probably slightly better than expected really, if you knew anything about France's front 5 and Englands inexperienced line up.

Agreed 100%. Only Stevie G and Rio would get in my Englsnd team that started. A lot of debuts and kids tonight. Very poor first half hr though. To be fair France also have brilliant players and seemed to click well tonight.

I am genuinly worried about our youngsters coming through tho - not enough and not enough quality :(

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is an England team missing Hart, Johnson (debatable), Cole, Terry, Lampard, Adam Johnson and Rooney.

The France team is just missing Evra (replaced by a Barcelona left back) and Diaby (rubbish anyway). What do you expect when we play a handful of reserves and debutants against a strongest team from a decent side? These France players are decent individually and are being moulded into a good team by a good manager. We have none of those things.

Are you Nero?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That might seem like an attractive argument if you've never seen an England game before.

Players with touch, intelligence, vision, tactical flexibility - England have none of these things, and never will if things don't change from the bottom up.

I disagree(to some extent). While England in recent times have put in some incredibly wooden, lumpen performances I'm not so sure it's due to a lack of ability or tactical flexibility. To say that the players don't have any touch, technique etc overlooks the fact that they've made careers playing at the highest level. If they didn't have the ability they'd soon be shown the door by their clubs. To reach the level they have they clearly need to have a very high level of ability. The problem as I see it is one of mentality.

We've seen with Brighton that it's possible. Gus took over a poor third tier team that was frankly a shambles and has turned them into a slick, possession dominating, passing, top of the table team. Who would have thought that was possible a few weeks before he joined when we were conceding comedy goals left right and centre, conceding penalties all over the shop and having a player sent off every other game or so? If third division players can be turned into a team comfortable in possesion, there is NO reason why players of the calibre of the England team can't.

That we need to change things is pretty obvious. Blaming the players lack of ability, however, isn't. Their attitude maybe? The management? Maybe? The whole playing for England experience? Maybe.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quite enjoyed it as a spectacle, the French played some good football. We'll be better of course when we get the 1st choice players back, the ones who did so well in the World Cup.

Anyway, forget it, it's only a friendly. We'll beat Wales in our next competitive match and then everything will be ok again!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We may well beat Wales but everything is as about as far from being ok with English football as it can possibly be. The truth which has been staring everyone in the face for at least 15 years, if not longer, is that we just do not produce good enough players under the present system. Last night was further evidence of that as a young French side out played and out passed England for much of the game. The blame must be laid with the FA, who shamelessly allowed the Premiership, and therefore the big clubs, the power to override the interests of the national game and the development of coaches and young players in this country. Until we have someone with the intelligence and the balls at the FA to re-address this inbalance and radically change the way our players are coached, you can forget about England getting anywhere near winning anything.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A dissapointing result, some encouraging individual performances.

Shows despite the clamour for change after the World Cup that we miss the likes of JT, Lamps and Wazza. Also Stevie G was comfortably our best player. We need to give these new players time and play them alongside the established players rather than chuck them all in together.

Lets not despair, it was only a friendly and we are still sitting pretty in our group, these young players can improve and will do so, they will be much better players for experiences like last night when Euro 2012 comes round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here