Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Under Labour...

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
More Taxes

The new ID cards, which are to be compulsory, will cost 30 quid, unless you combine them with a 93 quid passport.

How much more cash does this government really think it can keep taking from people's pockets before people kick back (granted, we need a valid opposition party before we can do it!)

I agreed, in principle, with the idea behind carrying some form of ID, but this is taking the piss - if the underlying reason is security, then the cost should be borne from other sources, not by ripping it out of out pockets again. And it won't actually stop anything - it will be just as easy to obtain one of these as it is to obtain a passport.

Oh yes, if you don't register with a card you will not get health care, etc. If you plan on being a pensioner, you are better off not paying the poll tax or whatever this bunch of thieving bastards are now calling it, and going to prison!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
write to your MP, if they are labour say you will be voting aginst them at the next election because of insert reason.

If enough do this they have to re-think

And yes they do bloody tax us too much. In the 80ies we rioted but I got kids now and dont wanna be locked up. In the 2000s I write to Michael Foster MP sometimes it works

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
To f***ing right.Also make it compulsory with handing in your dna as well.O and f*** this wanky government.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I dont see the problem with ID cards, it would be nice to know who lives in our country.

On my gap year in Ecuador I was arrested with 5 other guys for not carrying id. Our passports were with the British Embassy, getting our voluntary visas. Shows initiative. If it is not possible to forge then by all means go for it. Very useful. If we dont pay for it up front then it would go on taxes. I personally would like to feel safer and £30 isnt much.

Actually last £30s Id Card or Palace Game hmmmmmmm

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
My sister in law in Germany has had an ID card for years, the Germans can't understand what all the fuss is about! All she has to do to travel withing the EU is flash her ID card, none of this passport nonsense.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
rogue said:
To f***ing right.Also make it compulsory with handing in your dna as well.O and f*** this wanky government.

This isn't good ! I agree wholeheartedly. If you've done nothing wrong then what have you got to worry about ?

Don't really have a problem with thee principle, could be useful when working out if you qualify for NHS treatment, dole money etc, but I object to the nonsense that it will somehow aide the fight against terrorism. just becuase someone carries a crad it doesn't mean you can predict the behavior.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
£30 my arse!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/13/id_costs/

The government already knows who you are and where you live.

By all means they can give us all ID cards, but there is no reason to charge us for it, and there is no reason to gather biological information about us either.

The people they'd really like to have ID cards are precisley the people who won't be bothered by not having them.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
It's not the fact of carrying a card I worry about (I have carried a form of ID for the last 20+ years!) - it's why they feel the need to put such a price on it?

If it is in the interest of the country for everyone to have a card/passport, then surely the initial issue should be borne from government coffers without having to raise taxes from elsewhere.

As we already get issued NI cards, and now E111 cards, why can't these be scrapped, the cost saved, and then put towards the new ID card?

Ripping off Labour bastards.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
There are more CCTV cameras here per square mile, than in any other country that I'm aware of.

When I go to London, there is CCTV on Brighton streets, at Brighton station, on the trains, at Victoria station, then in the tube, and on the streets in London...

On the plus side that was one of the reasons they caught the London bombers so quickly. But we are probably the most controlled and watched population in the World. It's getting like Orwell's 1984.

ID cards are irrelevant in the face of so much existing CCTV, which is probably a lot more effective at catching terrorists or criminals.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Dear Sir,

As a long-term resident of Brighton & Hove, I have seen many outlandish schemes implemented by our so-called Council, but this latest Identity Card scheme takes the biscuit!

What do I pay my Council tax for? Are these faceless bureaucrats completely incapable of lateral thinking?

They want to enforce a £30-a-head Identity Scheme on millions of perfectly innocent Brovians, when surely it would be far more cost effective to make the Terrorists sign up to an Identity Card scheme. This would make the monitoring of such individuals by our so-called “intelligence” services far easier. If this scheme proved successful, it could then be expanded to include other undesirable groups such as paedophiliacs, serial killers & Scottish people.

Sometimes I wonder why oh why oh why I’m not on the Council. Things would be so much better.

Yours in apoplexy,

A Rowlands (Ms)

Last edited:

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Not living in the U>K> I might get slagged for my opinion. I do believe in ID cards in principle. {We lose millions of dollars a year with unauthorized persons accessing our health care system} but to take 30 quid from you for the cards defies logic. I can just see the next step.

Anxious caller. "999? I have been stabbed ten times by my neighbour. Please send police and an ambulance"!!!
Operator: "If you have a touch tone phone, please enter your Visa or Mastercard number. Please ensure you enter the expiry date".

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Of course, you could argue that the Government should sort out how it uses the wealth of information it already has about us, without having to shine lasers in our eyes or take our fingerprints, before it trys to grab even more:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/13/uk_sars_report/

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont mind having an ID card.

I do resent paying for it tho. Another Labour STEALTH tax.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003

HampshireSeagulls said:
More Taxes

The new ID cards, which are to be compulsory, will cost 30 quid, unless you combine them with a 93 quid passport.

How much more cash does this government really think it can keep taking from people's pockets before people kick back (granted, we need a valid opposition party before we can do it!)

I agreed, in principle, with the idea behind carrying some form of ID, but this is taking the piss - if the underlying reason is security, then the cost should be borne from other sources, not by ripping it out of out pockets again. And it won't actually stop anything - it will be just as easy to obtain one of these as it is to obtain a passport.

Oh yes, if you don't register with a card you will not get health care, etc. If you plan on being a pensioner, you are better off not paying the poll tax or whatever this bunch of thieving bastards are now calling it, and going to prison!

Nice rant against Blair but you forgot to mention - for some reason - that the Tories are also voting in favour of ID cards.

There are enough Labour MPs rebelling against the government combined with the Lib Dems to defeat the legislation IF the Tories voted against.

But this is the new Tory strategy revealed this week by Cameron with this week's debate on more education privatisation - vote with Blair against the liberal left in Parliament :rolleyes:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
so its as I thought we have 2 tory parties and the liberals represent the left

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here