Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England - time for NSC to show some respect

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
The amount of bashing for our own country on here is quite honestly embarrassing.

Have some respect for your country. Whether you like or approve of the current 11 they are the ones representing OUR country.

To those of you who've put comments on here along the lines of 'England can stick it.. f*ck England'.. please do send me a PM if you can't detail on here what would make you put such a comment.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
i am sorry but they have got to earn our respect, the behaviour and performances have not been acceptable in the last 5 yrs, I love England and always have but i understand the widespread resentment and apathy with the current set up, The FA have also been abysmal just look at the way the captaincy has been handled. Come on England Up Your Game and the fans will flock back.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm with Seagull Special on this. I always follow England and make the time to watch matches however, it does not automatically follow that I should give unquestioning support to the manager and players. What has the current squad collectively done to earn either our respect or support? It is less about performances on the pitch but behaviour off it that puts me off most of the people wearing the shirt. All I see are petulant, petty, primitive posers and it p***es me off.

Sorry.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Respect is earnt it is not a divine right.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Watching England play over the past few years has been boring. Its difficult to identify with players who are paid millions of pounds a year and behave like spoiled brats. I know which two matches I will be enjoying the most today and on Tuesday evening and they do not involve England.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm definitely NOT one of the "stuff England, couldn't give a toss" brigade as I do still care a bit (and I bet secretly deep down a lot of the "couldn't give a toss" people do as well), but I have every sympathy with that view.

You are correct, IBF, in saying they represent our country and consequently I will be hoping they win the same as I hope any England team wins, from the ladies hockey team to the trans-gender water-polo team. But respect them? Naa. The fact is for a number of well-documented reasons the results of the England men's football team matter as much to me as the results of said ladies hockey team and trans-gender water-polo team.

I care far more about the England Rugby Union and cricket teams. One of the reasons is that the rugby and cricket players seem to be more decent blokes than their footballing counterparts; better blokes, better men. Might be false impressions of course, but that's what I feel. Hopefully when the Terrys, Coles, Lampards and Rooneys (and Capello) have shuffled off into the sunset I'll regain my respect for the football team, until then I'll stay a mildly-interested bystander.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd like us to win, but I'm really not that fussed if we don't.

The FA need a wakeup call about how to run the national team and the importance of bringing through properly developed younger players (a la Spain and Germany) rather than sticking with the same old 'stars' who have failed us time and again when it really counts.

As for respect, it's earned. When the players play like they respect the shirt they're wearing, more people might be minded to reciprocate.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do not want to be represented by thick unlikeable rich prima donnas and granny shagging thugs thanks, they CAN go f*** themselves as far as I'm concerned. I have no interest in watching them represent me. Now the England rugby team I'll support all the way :thumbsup:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
get a bit bored of the constant slating of the player's personalities. Yeah, they're not the brightest bunch and one or two you probably wouldn't want to take home to meet your mum, but the only thing that really winds me up about England is their lack of technique.

Ashley Cole probably gets the most flak after John Terry, but he's consistently one of our best players over the past years.

Once Gus has done his work at Brighton, put him in charge of football in England. Not just the manager job. Put him IN CHARGE of ALL football in England.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
oh and on the supporting your country bit, I don't identify with Rugby or Cricket at all and consequently couldn't give a shit how they do. I don't feel I HAVE to support them because they represent England.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The amount of bashing for our own country on here is quite honestly embarrassing.

Have some respect for your country. Whether you like or approve of the current 11 they are the ones representing OUR country.

Isn't that the crux of the issue?

People see a lot of these playing not respecting the honour of wearing the nations colours on a world stage. So yes they are representing your nation, but are they doing it with a demeanor that suggests it means something to them?

It means a lot to a lot of fans.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Respect is earnt it is not a divine right.

My thoughts exactly. I still want England to win, but this set of players leave me cold. Over-paid, self important primadonnas who do very little to inspire respect from anyone let alone me. John Terry's return to the captaincy and his charmless acceptance of it is a prime example.

Still good luck to the likes of Darrren Bent, Jack Wilshire and maybe even Scott Parker if he gets a game, some new faces could freshen up the side.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I just don't really care at the moment. I'm still suffering from post-World Cup apathy. There are 3 ways I can see England going after today:

1. England win or draw, we qualify for the Euros and limp out painfully as soon as we meet any half decent side;
2. England lose, we qualify for the Euros and limp out painfully as soon as we meet any half decent side;
3. England lose, we don't qualify, Capello leaves and 'Arry comes in leading to a new age of optimism which swiftly comes to an end when he insists Lampard and Gerrard can play together because they are both "World Class"

Yay. My excitement is palpable...

I do take pride in my country and I am proud to be english. I just am not proud of our football team. England with their wealth of resources are an embarrassment.

When we lost to Hungary in 1953, the nation sat up, took notice and said "we are too rigid in the way we play. There is too much onus on physicality and not enough on skill" 58 years later, nothing has changed and we are still light-years behind more forward thinking footballing countries.

Roll on 1pm when the proper football starts.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
The problem here is the clubs/Premier League have too much power to decide Englands fate. The Premier League have members on the FA board so that they can veto any FA decisions which they don't like, so in essence holding England back (winter break/reduce Premier league size etc). Until the FA can sort their own house out and put the Premier League in their place, England will NEVER win anything.

I don't blame the players at all as they controllef by their clubs, what I would love to see is the FA get a backbone and say "right, if you won'y help us then we will not pick any of your players", they then say to the Manager to only pick players from the football league, get a winter break in and reduce the size of of the Championship to help England.

Never going to happen though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here