Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England squad for the next qualifier

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Not sure about Smalling or Joe Cole for 4 years time. If we are going to play a progressive system like Germany, Brazil, Argentina (and Manu & Chelsea) etc we do need a powerful striker in the Higuan/Klose/Luis Fabiano/Drogba mold, allowing Rooney to drop deep, pick up the ball etc whilst still keeping the pressure on the defensive line (defoe cant do this either).

Basically the new Alan Shearer and certainly not Crouch, Heskey, Bent or Carlton Cole

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure about Smalling or Joe Cole for 4 years time. If we are going to play a progressive system like Germany, Brazil, Argentina (and Manu & Chelsea) etc we do need a powerful striker in the Higuan/Klose/Luis Fabiano/Drogba mold, allowing Rooney to drop deep, pick up the ball etc whilst still keeping the pressure on the defensive line (defoe cant do this either).

Basically the new Alan Shearer and certainly not Crouch, Heskey, Bent or Carlton Cole

Connor Wickham

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Personally Id drop the whole lot and start again from scratch ... Id consider sniffing round at Championship level to find 11 players who actually want to represent England rather than themselves - they couldnt do any worse than this bunch of overpaid overhyped muppets ...

No, you'd probably get something of the standard of Scotland.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hart

a cole.......dawson.....Micah Richards........That Everton full back

.................................Barry...........................

walcott......Lampard..............Wiltshire................that Man city winger not SWP

...............agbonlahor.............

Or if they are looking at the 442, then I would go for Crouch and the other tottenham midgit and put the Man city bloke on the bech

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I like the idea of developing a elite squad to bring through from the u17, u21 etc (obviously there would be changes depending on development) with considerable national commitment for these players over their clubs

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact of the matter is we've got to qualify for Euro '12 and that process starts in 6 weeks with a friendly against Hungary.

We've been here before, and whilst a cull is always called for pragmatism dictates half the side will retain their places in the starting XI and a good few of the rest usually get benched.

Not all of the players are bad. The trick is to retain those that CAN be part of a winning side.

If I was chairman of the FA I'd be appointing the guy I thought was most like to turn the likes of Micah Richards, Theo Walcott, Joe Hart into world class players.

I'd be happy with David Moyes (yes, I know he's Scottish, but he knows Rooney, Rodwell, he's respected and takes no shit!) picking 4-5-1 side of:

1. Hart.
2. Richards.
3. A Cole.
4. Dawson.
5. Jagielka.
6. Hargreaves.
7. Milner.
8. Barry.
9. Gerrard.
10. Rooney.
11.A. Johnson.

subs: Kirkland, Gibbs, Wilshere, Rodwell, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The fact of the matter is we've got to qualify for Euro '12 and that process starts in 6 weeks with a friendly against Hungary.

We've been here before, and whilst a cull is always called for pragmatism dictates half the side will retain their places in the starting XI and a good few of the rest usually get benched.

Not all of the players are bad. The trick is to retain those that CAN be part of a winning side.

If I was chairman of the FA I'd be appointing the guy I thought was most like to turn the likes of Micah Richards, Theo Walcott, Joe Hart into world class players.

I'd be happy with David Moyes (yes, I know he's Scottish, but he knows Rooney, Rodwell, he's respected and takes no shit!) picking 4-5-1 side of:

1. Hart.
2. Richards.
3. A Cole.
4. Dawson.
5. Jagielka.
6. Hargreaves.
7. Milner.
8. Barry.
9. Gerrard.
10. Rooney.
11.A. Johnson.

subs: Kirkland, Gibbs, Wilshere, Rodwell, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott.

BUT that is basically the side that has just humiliated the English nation

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

No. He has completely revamped the defence apart from Ashley Cole (who was the only player to come out with credit intact) and put in a genuine, quick holding midfielder in Hargreaves.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

No Ferdinand, Terry, Glen Johnson, Lampard, Heskey even in the squad, totally different tactical system in 4-5-1.

It would be TOTAL mistake to discard the likes of Gerrard, Rooney, Barry. Whilst this country has an appetite for a cull it will not put up with non-qualification for Euro '12, which is something you risk with the likes of some of the kids and WC '10 discards being touted.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
No Ferdinand, Terry, Glen Johnson, Lampard, Heskey even in the squad, totally different tactical system in 4-5-1.

It would be TOTAL mistake to discard the likes of Gerrard, Rooney, Barry. Whilst this country has an appetite for a cull it will not put up with non-qualification for Euro '12, which is something you risk with the likes of some of the kids and WC '10 discards being touted.

barry looked miles out his depth. gerrard will be too old in 4 years time, plus he's hard to fit into a team (liverpool struggle with this too). ditch them both. not sure about rooney, i guess you say ship up or ship out. if he continues to play badly then use him as an impact player from the bench or ditch him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Barry was not 100% and he was one of our best players in qualification so deserves some slack. Gerrard was one of our better players and has consistently been played out of position. He's also the captain and if Terry, Lampard and Ferdinand DO get dropped then axing Gerrard would, in my book, be overly-reckless.

As for dropping Rooney - again, try playing him in the Torres-role with Gerrard just behind, when he's fully fit and with a manager who believes in him.

Diatribe

Feb 3, 2007
i'd drop anyone over 27. we need fresh blood, we need to build. these players have had chance after chance, it's not a golden generation, just a load of overrated primadonnas.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barry was not 100% and he was one of our best players in qualification so deserves some slack. Gerrard was one of our better players and has consistently been played out of position. He's also the captain and if Terry, Lampard and Ferdinand DO get dropped then axing Gerrard would, in my book, be overly-reckless.

As for dropping Rooney - again, try playing him in the Torres-role with Gerrard just behind, when he's fully fit and with a manager who believes in him.

Why do people keep pretending that Gerrard played well?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Playing him as more of a forward player means there's a bit less running around and having to keep the ball. He scored one, made another, which is more than anyone else achieved.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He did try, yes. He constantly made the wrong decision. Again, and again, and again. Usually choosing the HOLLYWOOD ball, or to shoot from a hopeless position, rather than keep posession. With Gerrard [and he's not alone] its ALL about HIM.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He did try, yes. He constantly made the wrong decision. Again, and again, and again. Usually choosing the HOLLYWOOD ball, or to shoot from a hopeless position, rather than keep posession. With Gerrard [and he's not alone] its ALL about HIM.

I despise Gerrard, I really do. But I honestly think he does care about playing for England.

Gerrard did seem to shoot on sight yesterday which was all a bit rubbish, but its no more than Lampards done every single time he has played for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here