Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England squad for the next qualifier

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I despise Gerrard, I really do. But I honestly think he does care about playing for England.

Gerrard did seem to shoot on sight yesterday which was all a bit rubbish, but its no more than Lampards done every single time he has played for England.

If I got the chance to play for England, I'd CARE too. But I'd be SHIT as well.

Diatribe

Feb 3, 2007
Caring is a step up from Terry
john terry tries to block shots with his face! i don't tink any of them don't care as such, though they all do have massive egos and out of touch with reality. they're just not as good as they and the sun think they are.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think they all care once they get out to the tournament, and out in the pitch. Trouble is they care more about their clubs the rest of the time and will pull out of friendlies and squad sessions at the drop of a hat.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interesting to see people are still obsessed with the merits of individual players and of course the negative obsession of Premiership fans towards players who don't happen to play for "them".

Personally, I'd be more interested how they perform as a team.

Even the pundits yesterday at half were banging on about individual German players and their weeknesses.

Well as a team they completely stuffed us.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I do not think that you can write off the Euro 2012 Championships - It is a massive tournament and arguably harder to win than the World Cup. Keep some of the experienced players, play them in a system they play for their clubs and hey presto!

GK: Joe Hart (Paul Robinson)
RB: Glen Johnson (Micah Richards)
CB: John Terry (C) (Michael Dawson)
CB: Rio Ferdinand (Ledley King)
LB: Ashley Cole (Stephen Warnock)
CM: Michael Carrick (Tom Huddlestone)
CM: Gareth Barry (Owen Hargreaves - not convinced he will be fit though)
AMR: Aaron Lennon (Shaun Wright-Phillips)
AMC: Steven Gerrard (James Milner)
AML: Joe Cole (Ashley Young)
FC: Wayne Rooney (Peter Crouch)

You can also include Adam Johnson, Chris Kirkland & Jermaine Defoe, but I honestly do not think there is alot else that will be better. We are very limited with young players. Many are simply not playing for their respective first teams! I.e. Gibbs/Wilshire at Arsenal, Rose at Spurs.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Barry was not 100% and he was one of our best players in qualification so deserves some slack. Gerrard was one of our better players and has consistently been played out of position. He's also the captain and if Terry, Lampard and Ferdinand DO get dropped then axing Gerrard would, in my book, be overly-reckless.

As for dropping Rooney - again, try playing him in the Torres-role with Gerrard just behind, when he's fully fit and with a manager who believes in him.

But Rooney isn't Torres - he is more like David Villa, dropping deep and wide and would therefore be more suited to a support role for England rather than the main striker which Torres clearly is.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But Rooney isn't Torres - he is more like David Villa, dropping deep and wide and would therefore be more suited to a support role for England rather than the main striker which Torres clearly is.

Rooney played lone striker for Man Utd last season and scored goals for fun.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
For Euro 2012:

GK
Hart

DF
RB-Richards
CB-Dawson
CB-Jagielka (c)
LB-A. Cole

MF
RW-Lennon
RCM- Milner
DM- Huddlestone
LCM- Jenas
LW-A. Johnson

FW
CF- Rooney

Bench:
Foster
Robinson
Walcott
Agbonlahor
Defoe
J. Cole
Gibbs
A. Young
G. Cahill
G. Johnson
O'Hara
M. Johnson

For 2014, if these players develop as they are hyped to, I expect them to be important to the squad:

Alex Smithies
Jonjo Shelvey
Connor Wickham
Jack Wilshere
Jack Rodwell
Craig Smalling

None of this will happen though, it'll be same shit squad, same shit performances.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here