Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England squad for Nations League

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Southgate may throw in a few youngsters so I fully expect to see some untried 21 year olds from Chelsea and Man Utd picked

It will be untried youngsters from Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Middlesborough and the cub scout under 9s team Southgate played for as a boy.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So what do you think England’s best XI is at the moment?

Personally, I’m taking this chance to have a look at Dean Henderson in goal and Trent at CM

-----------------D Henderson
-------Walker Gomez Dunk Chilwell
Alexander Arnold- J Henderson - Mount
-------------Stirling Rashford
--------------------Kane

Greenwood, Sancho, Grealish not far from a starting spot

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Lamptey's time may come if he continues to progress well and Walker/Trippier are past it. TAA and AWB are the ones for him to overtake though. Reece James is fine but not that exciting.

Dunk should make the squad in the world that makes sense. White is probably one of the most promising young CBs along with Tomori.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Personally, I’m taking this chance to have a look at Dean Henderson in goal and Trent at CM

--------------------Kane

TAA Gomez Dunk Chilwell
Winks Henderson
Stirling Foden Rashford
Kane

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales

--------------------Kane

Henderson
TAA Gomez Dunk Chilwell
Henderson Foden
Maddison
Sancho Kane Sterling

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You look at a few of those suggested line ups. We'll ship a few but we have decent attacking options. Bitter experience suggests we'll bomb when the business gets serious, but I don't reckon too many opposing managers would fancy drawing us

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Odds for Albion players to make the England squad for the Euro's next summer (SkyBet/Oddschecker)
Ben White 2/1
Lewis Dunk 5/1
Adam Lallana 25/1
Adam Webster 28/1
Matthew Clarke 40/1
Dan Burn 50/1

Pretty good odds for Burn considering Southgate is desperate enough for a left-foot to pick Mings (no way he actually believes Mings is a better defender than i.e. Dunk).

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Lamptey's time may come if he continues to progress well and Walker/Trippier are past it. TAA and AWB are the ones for him to overtake though. Reece James is fine but not that exciting.

Ghana are currently attempting to persuade Tariq to represent them instead. They first contacted him in July. Tomorri had similar with Nigeria, and that was one of the factors that saw him being capped for England before he probably should have been.

Greenwood from Manchester United will be in squad announced tomorrow.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This should be Foden’s time for a call up as well you’d think, and yes Greenwood.

Albion perspective:
Dunk - unquestionably should be in the squad. Scandalous if Keane and Mings get in ahead of him (Stones arguably too, but at least he has performed for Southgate before and he’s quite loyal). Dunk’s game has elevated another level since Potter joined, plus captaincy, he’s an unbelievably fantastic pro, good with young players, genuinely cares for the shirt... and let’s face it, won’t get in bar brawls.

White - lets be honest, this is not impossible. He’s been name checked already. But surely too soon.

Lamptey - he does have competition. I can this lad evolving, as I’ve stated on here a few times. He’s potentially a game changer and although fantastic where he is, could be wasted in RB. Sounds crazy, and I wouldn’t broadcast it, but I can definitely see him pushing up to a Sterling level/position or a Bale position (not superstar, to be clear, position). For those too young to remember Bale spent many of his early years as a wingback, like Lamptey.

Webster - won’t be in, but let’s be honest, he’s as good as Keane and Mings so if there’s any justice his name should at least be in the reckoning.

Honourable mention - Burn. Not going to happen, but like Webster it shouldn’t be ludicrous to suggest his name is at least mentioned.

Conclusion: if Dunk isn’t in this squad serious questions should be asked of Southgate.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

--------------------Kane

And Foden... surely?

I like Mount, but Sancho has to be in the side somewhere.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He has a good chance doesn't he. If Maguire is out I think Keane might be a shoo-in for the squad as the only properly experienced international CB now that Cahill doesn't get a look any more (he should)

So Keane/Maguire, Gomez, Mings (started last England game in November, young potential blah blah) + 1 from Mee /Tarkowski / Dunk /Tomori /Stones. Tomori also played in the last game (securing his nationality?) but didn't get much of a look in in the Chelsea side after that. He might make it as back up RB I suppose, plus Southgate loves his youngsters

Nah, just don't think Dunk is in his plans even if he is one of the best four CBs at the moment

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And Foden... surely?

I like Mount, but Sancho has to be in the side somewhere.

Yeh mate, some very tough selection decisions in forward areas. You could see a scenario where the opposition have kept us out for an hour and see us making a triple substitution on the hour, bringing on 3 top quality international forwards.

We've actually got 8 or so convincing attacking options. Gareth's job is about finding the right blend. If he does, we've got as good a chance as anyone.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This should be Foden’s time for a call up as well you’d think, and yes Greenwood.

Albion perspective:
Dunk - unquestionably should be in the squad. Scandalous if Keane and Mings get in ahead of him (Stones arguably too, but at least he has performed for Southgate before and he’s quite loyal). Dunk’s game has elevated another level since Potter joined, plus captaincy, he’s an unbelievably fantastic pro, good with young players, genuinely cares for the shirt... and let’s face it, won’t get in bar brawls.

White - lets be honest, this is not impossible. He’s been name checked already. But surely too soon.

Lamptey - he does have competition. I can this lad evolving, as I’ve stated on here a few times. He’s potentially a game changer and although fantastic where he is, could be wasted in RB. Sounds crazy, and I wouldn’t broadcast it, but I can definitely see him pushing up to a Sterling level/position or a Bale position (not superstar, to be clear, position). For those too young to remember Bale spent many of his early years as a wingback, like Lamptey.

Webster - won’t be in, but let’s be honest, he’s as good as Keane and Mings so if there’s any justice his name should at least be in the reckoning.

Honourable mention - Burn. Not going to happen, but like Webster it shouldn’t be ludicrous to suggest his name is at least mentioned.

Conclusion: if Dunk isn’t in this squad serious questions should be asked of Southgate.

You just did broadcast it!

Agree he has massive potential. Very much looking forward to see what he makes of it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

--------------------Kane

———————D Henderson——————-
Alex-Arnie—Gomez——Dunk——Chilwell
—————Rice————J Henderson——-
—-Sancho——*Greenwood——Sterling—-
————————Kane—————————

* Or Foden/Mount/Grealish/Maddison

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Funny how things change, from the last WC where we were lauding Alli, Lingard, Loftus-Cheek, Pickford and Tripper. Just two short years ago

Alli = Well down the order now, could come back
Lingard = would have to seriously improve, probably with another club to come back
RLC = Still young. Loads of potential. Spots for grabs in midfield. Played on loan for Palace. He'll be in tournament squads
Pickford = Will still be picked for number one, when push comes to shove IMO
Tripper = Overtaken by a very good young player for his place.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Don't be surprised to see White called up. Southgate loves hype and loves youth.

I really, really hope not.,

White needs to get his head down, train hard and settle in. No more hype.

The last thing he needs is to mix with the England squad and compare wages with the big time Charlies.

Dunk however is completely different - he shouldn't just be in the squad - he should start.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I really, really hope not.,

White needs to get his head down, train hard and settle in. No more hype.

The last thing he needs is to mix with the England squad and compare wages with the big time Charlies.

Dunk however is completely different - he shouldn't just be in the squad - he should start.

Yeh, I think a few PL appearances would be a good start. Even some appearances at England youth level

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here