Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England fans doing nothing for our reputation again

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Fans pour in for England's opener

Friday night was largely trouble-free
Up to 30,000 England fans are set to flock to the 65,000-capacity Estadio da Luz in Lisbon for the team's opening Euro 2004 clash with France.
The evening before the match was largely trouble-free, despite two England fans being detained by police.

The pair had allegedly been involved in a disturbance outside a bar in which bottles were thrown.

And members of a teenage marching band claimed England fans had thrown pepper spray at them as they sat on their bus.

That disturbance was thought to have begun after police tried to move back a crowd of England supporters outside a bar to allow buses, carrying the Portuguese band members, through Lisbon's main square after they had taken part in a traditional parade.

'Rowdy'

About 100 England fans had become rowdy and started blocking a road through the square.

Teenage band members onboard one of the buses were hit by the spray, which left several young girls in tears.

Angry male members of the band scuffled briefly with a small group of England fans they claimed were responsible before two dozen riot police moved in quickly to separate them.

But riot police were deployed after a scuffle involving England fans

The police, wearing shields and helmets, briefly positioned themselves outside the bar but the crowd soon dispersed.

Two England supporters were seen being handcuffed and bundled into a police car but a senior Portuguese police officer later said the culprit had not been caught and that no arrests had been made.

The number of England supporters in the city is expected to swell as thousands more pour in ahead of the game.

Those already in Lisbon will be joined by many more travelling up from the tourist resorts of the Algarve, which they have made their base for the tournament.

Good-natured

The atmosphere among English fans has so far been described as good-natured, helped by a discreet police approach.

But police have warned any would-be trouble-makers that security is as tight as it could possibly be.

As excitement reaches fever-pitch in the Portuguese capital ahead of the meeting between England and reigning champions France, millions more fans are preparing to watch the match on TV.

Attention will also focus on the behaviour of the supporters off the pitch

Damian Grammaticas

Sport: England set for France
Supermarkets have reported record sales of beer and food as many fans plan to hold barbecues in the predicted hot weather.

Punters are expected to stake a record number of bets on the outcome of the match.

Meanwhile, another two Britons arrested for allegedly being involved in a fight in a Lisbon bar on Friday night have been fined more than 1,000 euros each.

Justin Horobin, 28, and Barry Hudson, 33, both from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, were fined 1,800 and 1,200 euros respectively (£1,180 and £791) by a judge in the Portuguese capital.

Two other men form the same town, Dean Czersovski, 27, and Ian Griffiths, 31, were cleared.

The men, who said they were with a stag party, denied hitting anyone.

Their case followed one earlier in the day of four fans who tried to get into the England training ground with cameras on Friday and were arrested.

They appeared in court but were released with a warning from a judge.

Three Britons picked up in the Algarve for alleged ticket touting have been released with no action.

Another 31 fans have been stopped at airports and ports in the UK so far this week.

Sixteen of those have been taken to court and received banning orders.

The rest are prevented from travelling until court proceedings against them are concluded.

The total number of banning orders is now 2,331.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FFS isnt it about time our fans grew up?? it may be "only 100 people" but isnt that enough??

you dont hear about any other fans being as ridiculous as our hooligans.

:angry:

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
to be fair i heard about the arrests on talk sport this morning and they made a good point. on a saturday night in ANY major city to have 4 arrsets isnt a big deal. it was just a 'little skermish (sp?) ' that happend. nothing serious really.

so dont just worry yet!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I bet the total of people arrested by the Sussex Police on Saturday night for drunkenness was higher than that.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
ben andrews girlfriend said:
Fans pour in for England's opener

FFS isnt it about time our fans grew up?? it may be "only 100 people" but isnt that enough??

you dont hear about any other fans being as ridiculous as our hooligans.

Thats right you dont HEAR about other countries fans causing trouble but believe me it does happen.
You see it at home as well, the rome derby nearly gets abandonned for crowd trouble and it gets minimal coverage, on the other hand a footy fan in england gets a black eye and its plastered all over the worlds press.

No condoning the twats.

The Portuguese have the right to travel in their country without drunkard morons ruining their day.

In addition I wish the media would just drop the "trouble" bit, its really pissing me off.

We have the best most devoted supporters in the world, we get treated like scum everywhere we go but they still go and go to matches. Do we celebrate that, we just focus on the o.1 % of the people who are there who are knobs.

Recently BHA fans voted the best in the country, luclkily the media did,t focus on our firms!

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Tbh the English fans, or at least the ones that are out in Portagual are no worse then any other. The problem we have is that our reputation goes before us. This means that the locals including the local police are expecting us to cause trouble. Also the press and it is mostly the british press go looking for trouble.

A friend of mine hade there picture in the Inderpendant during euro 2000, under the headline Thug detained by police. The fact that the Police officer was in fact asking if he was alright after he had been attacked by a group of Dutch fans was not mentioned. Do not belive all you read in the papers or see on the tv.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its very interesting the contrast between ITV's coverage of last nights 'trouble with England fans, 4 arrests after a stand off with riot police", with the Channel 4 coverage of last nights 'England fans being rowdy but good natured and the police showing discretion/restraint with only 1 arrest made'

How the f*** can the same picture be painted so differently?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Come on everyone let's all be very honest here.

How many times at away games do we have fans who act like total lunatics and also we see the same from the opposition.

There is a hooligan problem simple as that whether you like it or not.

It is unlikely it will ever go away when there are people arrested and given banning orders after local disturbances that are only 10 years old.

poke

Oct 19, 2003
there were some complete dick heads when we were on our way home 2night.

one of them there face and shirt was covered in blood.

and they were kicking things about and shouting at any foreigners that went past :tosser:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sorry but what the f*** are you doing starting a thread with this title? A thread where it appears all you have done is copy and paste an article which, in the main, is positive about the huge numbers of England fans that are in Portugal doing our nation proud.

Are you in Portugal?

Are you talking about the represnatations you have personally experienced?

If the answer to both of the above is 'no' then kindly f*** right off. And/or join the English fan bashing media.

Re: Re: England fans doing nothing for our reputation again

chez said:
Thats right you dont HEAR about other countries fans causing trouble but believe me it does happen.
You see it at home as well, the rome derby nearly gets abandonned for crowd trouble and it gets minimal coverage, on the other hand a footy fan in england gets a black eye and its plastered all over the worlds press.

Having witnessed a couple of England events, I can recall getting stuff chucked at us by n.africans in Marseille, and Mexicans in Los Angeles. These tossers try to stir it up with cowardly attacks, then cry if English fans defend themselves. We remained composed enough at both of the above - but you only hear about our lads if things go off. I think the papparazzi like the word 'hooligan' a lot and think it's a funny English word - they don't have a word for mexiscum or repugnant a-rabs, so they don't count.

Tokyo Seagull said:
We didn't have any problems with England supporters over here during the World Cup in 2002.

This was mainly due to the fact that it would have cost most hooligans a small fortune which they probably couldn't afford.

:p

Oh, so trouble only happens if our fans can afford to start it.
It doesn't give us much chance, when the only reason our fans are non-violent it's only because they couldn't be there!

The germans and dutch certainly can kick off - perhaps that can be blamed on the English too.
"german and dutch fans held a full-scale battle of epic proportions after their match - it seems that England's hooligans are spreading their violence throughout the tournament"

yeah right.

Bozza said:
I'm sorry but what the f*** are you doing starting a thread with this title? A thread where it appears all you have done is copy and paste an article which, in the main, is positive about the huge numbers of England fans that are in Portugal doing our nation proud.

Are you in Portugal?

If the answer to both of the above is 'no' then kindly f*** right off. And/or join the English fan bashing media.

You've had a few tonight then? A tad harsh, don't you think, to shoot the messenger in this manner. It's a matter of debate about what represents an "acceptable" level of arrests, but no one should be invited to f*** off for having a zero-tolerance attitude to fuckwit behaviour.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
This is what i found on a website, sad news this goes on but predicable as way we lost and also that lost to French in way we did, isnt going to rub people up in right way.

BOOZE-FUELLED thugs went on the rampage in several British towns and cities last night after England’s defeat by France.
Hundreds clashed with cops in BOSTON, Lincs, after the match.
Police said up to 600 fans gathered in a “major disturbance” in the town’s market place.
Around 200 cops were sent to contain the mob.
Some parked cars in the town centre were set on fire by angry fans.
A police spokesman said: “Extra officers have been drafted in to contain the disorder.”
Hundreds of hooligans hurled missiles and bottles at cops in CROYDON, South London.
Fourteen people were arrested and two officers were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Four hundred people were involved in a serious incident in Croydon.
“They were slinging missiles and bottles at police. A tram was attacked and some police vehicles were targeted.”
In BIRMINGHAM, a giant TV screen was smashed in Centenary Square by mindless morons hurling bottles and even shoes.
A witness said: “They just went wild.
“There were loads of kids at the front. They were terrified.
“The yobs turned on two policemen. I saw one disappear under about 20 trampling youths.”
Rampaging fans threw tables and chairs at each other and smashed car windows in LIVERPOOL.
Matthew Richards, a 25-year-old office worker from Birkenhead, said: “After Zidane scored again, everything really kicked off.
“I saw three lads in England shirts push one bloke over before stamping on his head.”
Hertfordshire police reported disturbances in WATFORD and STEVENAGE. Trouble also broke out in WAKEFIELD, West Yorks, and BROMLEY, Kent.
In contrast, the mood in Lisbon was sombre but respectful.
At midnight a few hundred fans sat beside fountains hanging their heads.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
garethjamesuk said:

In contrast, the mood in Lisbon was sombre but respectful.
At midnight a few hundred fans sat beside fountains hanging their heads.

Just goes to show though that the vast majority that actualy go to the games are well behaved

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Very big of you Boz telling BAG to f*** off just because she posted something that she saw as hooligan behaviour by England fans.

I take it then by your arguement she shouldn't have an opinion as " she wasn't there".

My mate who is a copper in Romford spent the night cracking skulls of hooligans fighting any foriegn student that happened to be on the streets, be they French or Slovaks....

We all know the hoolies are out there and we all wait with baited breath to when it kicks off, to think it won't is niave in the extreme

J P F

Banned
Jul 14, 2003
North Stand Chat
I don't really see the attachment of the wankers that went out attacking students and smashing pubs to football anyway. They were probably thugs who went out to get pissed and have a fight, football was merely the excuse.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Bozza said:

Are you in Portugal?

bozza that was a very twattish statement.

i think that people should open their eyes a bit more to media attention instead of posting shite on here. all i was merely doing was stating FACTS. how many f***ing times have you posted an article? exactly.

do i need to have experienced it to talk about it?? do you have views on racism? have you been under racist attacks?? no. Then you are saying why should you have a view on this??

To be honest, i agree with the "English bashing media" as they open our eyes to things that go on. Do you think that without them in the past, the fa would have made banning orders to more than one and a half thousand people?

i rest my case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here