Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England display ... utter rubbish

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Defensively again we looked reasonably solid as we always do.

But with 1 up front and two players holding in Hargreaves and Barry who cant play a forward ball the chances of us scoring looked nil.
It got worse in the 2nd half when we were left with those 2 in the 2nd half. No wonder Owen and Crouch looked shit, they had f*** all to work of like Rooney.
The wide men never got far enough forward the crosses we did put in were from 35 yrds out at best.

Capello surely now knows we cannot play Rooney upfront on his own, he has to have a partner in my opinion, Owen who is our cleverest striker and best finisher, and to get some pace into our wide play.
He really should have given Young a go in this game.

Lampard was a big miss looking at last nights game, i dont know why he gets such a bad press, when he's not playing we miss him in my opinion.

I fear Capello is leading us to another era of Sven boring football.
Except at least Sven knew who our best 11 was.

Capello although being a strict disciplinarian, which is great and has obvious tactical ability, unfortunately like Sven is and will not be capable of motiviting this team to perform at the level we know they can.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
What a load of rubbish......no not the performance, the reaction of many of you people.

France away is one of the most difficult fixtures on the international calendar. We lost 1-0 to a penalty, they never really opened us up from open play and one rash judgement from James was the difference between the two sides.

There was plenty to be encouraged about, I thought up to the goal the ball retention was excellent, although we lacked punch up front and France showed what difference quickk forwards who can turn the defence can do. You also need to remember we had some of our key players missing, including Lampard who was unfortuately taken ill just before the game.

JT, Stevie G and Wazza all looked jaded after their exertions on Grand Slam Sunday but this was to be expected.

By no means a flawless performance but one of which there were positives and something to build on for the future.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It was a pretty poor game overall. England were on top for good periods of the game but France had the better chances. I was impressed by the ball retention at times. The most shocking thing was the crossing. Only Beckham and Ashley Cole (in the first half) put any crosses in that were any way near decent. I think Beckhams days are numbered but we desperately need to get a good attacking right back. Wes Brown is a truly shocking player at international level.

Fabio was never going to be able to work miracles. He's got the defence sorted (though some would say it was never broken) he just needs to work out how we are going to score goals!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Fabio was never going to be able to work miracles. He's got the defence sorted (though some would say it was never broken) he just needs to work out how we are going to score goals![/QUOTE]

It was never broken you are right.
As for the goals, if he persists with 1 up front and no pace out wide we are screwed

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Apparently the French newspaper L'equipe (who you'd assume were pretty neutral) gave Beckham 6.5 and said he was our best player

We were solid but we have no firepower. Rooney plays like an attacking midfielder so we have no out and out striker.

We need a Shearer or Lineker but we do not have one and at this level that is a serious problem.

France tonight had Anelka and Trezeguez and still had Henry not playing who do we have? Peter Crouch and Michael Owen

Which is why we should be blooding Walcott. 10 mins at the end last night wouldn't have hurt and given him some much needed big game experience.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
what a load of crap. not england, everyones predicatable responce to a loss. if that had been 0-1 you'd all have said how great it was.

first half was slow but we bossed the midfield and looked like professionals who could keep the ball and shut out most of thir offensive threat, rather than the usual school boy headless chickens. second half we reverted to normal and it resembled a (poor) premiership match, one where they got on top of us.

Problem is rooney gets frstrated and comes too deep looking for the ball, and gerrard doesnt support enough. if we had the first half tactics with owen, defoe or maybe even johnson up front, we would have got a goal or two.

Good post. I thought we were ok in the 1st half and were at least equal to France. One lapse in concentration and we are 1 nil down that's the way it goes at top flight football. Could have been the other way round so be it.

Take off Gerrard Rooney and Cole at HT and surprise suprise it all becomes disjointed. Cappello has to try these players you know that's what friendlys are for.

Just remember how bad we were against Croatia. The performance last night was nowhere near as bad as that. Croatia completely played us off the park. That was embaressing.

On another note if Wes Brown can play for England so can I.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤;2348873 said:
Tell ya what, we could really really do with Paul Scholes again too

Excellent, let's reintroduce another player into the fold who doesn't even want to play for England. Haven't we got enough of those already? :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤;2348871 said:
Which is why we should be blooding Walcott. 10 mins at the end last night wouldn't have hurt and given him some much needed big game experience.

we shouldnt be "blooding" a player who doesnt even play regularly for their club and when they do in a different position. Walcott might be the answer but to another question, who plays right wing in an attacking 5 man midfield.

¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤;2348873 said:
Tell ya what, we could really really do with Paul Scholes again too

Joe Cole in behind the front man could work that? not as good obviously but similar. his main weakness is a desire to coming inside, so playing in the hole would work more to his strengths.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Good post. I thought we were ok in the 1st half and were at least equal to France. One lapse in concentration and we are 1 nil down that's the way it goes at top flight football. Could have been the other way round so be it.

Take off Gerrard Rooney and Cole at HT and surprise suprise it all becomes disjointed. Cappello has to try these players you know that's what friendlys are for.

Just remember how bad we were against Croatia. The performance last night was nowhere near as bad as that. Croatia completely played us off the park. That was embaressing.

On another note if Wes Brown can play for England so can I.

You hit the nail on the head a 'friendly'! People were fine with Sven when he was experimenting with 11 changes at half time. People need to remember we are 2 games into a new start for England with a very different manager. Lets see how we get on in qualifying before we start judging him.

The Daily Star/Sun reaction from some people to this result is ridiculous.

There is a lot wrong with this team lets give the guy a chance to fix it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People were fine with Sven when he was experimenting with 11 changes at half time.

Not how I remember it, most fans were decidely unhappy when he did that weren't they?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As a spectacle most paying fans at games were not happy with it but people would acknowledge that experimenting needed to take place to find the best 11 (especially as games are limited at this level)

However my point is its a little early to be writing off the manager on the basis of one friendly taking place in a week before most of the players on show have crucial champions league games coming up.

Yoda

English & European
:jester:

Give the man a chance for fucks sake. He has a MASSIVE rebuilding job to do, tonight highlighted that more than ever if it needed highlighting. We weren't going to become world beaters overnight. Oh, and he can speak English, he just doesn't to the press.

We were very poor tonight and France weren't much better, it did have the feel of a meaningless friendly at a time when there are big club games days before and after.

Rooney can play in this formation for United because Ronaldo makes strikers runs, he often has Tevez to swap with as well as some very fine attacking midfielders, England have none of that. He needs someone in front of him. Beckham, Downing, Brown, have no part to play and others need to be under serious scrutiny, although what there is to replace them with is a burning issue.

what a load of crap. not england, everyones predicatable responce to a loss. if that had been 0-1 you'd all have said how great it was.

first half was slow but we bossed the midfield and looked like professionals who could keep the ball and shut out most of thir offensive threat, rather than the usual school boy headless chickens. second half we reverted to normal and it resembled a (poor) premiership match, one where they got on top of us.

Problem is rooney gets frstrated and comes too deep looking for the ball, and gerrard doesnt support enough. if we had the first half tactics with owen, defoe or maybe even johnson up front, we would have got a goal or two.

Have to say I agree with both you guys.

First half we were patient and keep the ball well only to go a goal down against the run of play and then did the typical England panic for the rest of the half.

The second half was disappointing. When we did go forward we looked ok up until it came to the final delivery. That was totally shocking.

Why do our heads drop when we go a goal down or panic and try to rush things? Hopefully, Fabio will get that mentality out of our so called cream of World football.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I actually quite like the more patient build up - the problem was when we went down and resorted back to just getting it forward early which MOST international defences should be able to deal with.

I also think Capello needs time to get his squad together and playing the way he wants. He does not exactly get ages to work with the players and it will take time.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
we kept the pocession well, and it all went a bit wrong when Crouch came on as we tended to start hitting longballs when they weren't needed.

I can remember us having 3 or 4 corners of which we made no use of them what so ever. I think one of our corners lead to Cisse running through and hitting the side netting.

We werent creating anything in open play, so it is important we do something with these set pieces and corners.

Rooney cant play as the lone striker as he drops deep to often and it leaves us with no one in the last 3rd of the pitch. He works better as a foil for someone, but who that person should be is anyones guess, as no one else is on top form that plays upfront.

I think going into the game with Ashley Cole as the fastest player isnt going to work either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here