Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England display ... utter rubbish

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
France were awful, but we were worse.

Be good if we could find 11 players who would give a shit about the game.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So much for our fantastic new manager and all he's going to bring to the team!
:jester:

Give the man a chance for fucks sake. He has a MASSIVE rebuilding job to do, tonight highlighted that more than ever if it needed highlighting. We weren't going to become world beaters overnight. Oh, and he can speak English, he just doesn't to the press.

We were very poor tonight and France weren't much better, it did have the feel of a meaningless friendly at a time when there are big club games days before and after.

Rooney can play in this formation for United because Ronaldo makes strikers runs, he often has Tevez to swap with as well as some very fine attacking midfielders, England have none of that. He needs someone in front of him. Beckham, Downing, Brown, have no part to play and others need to be under serious scrutiny, although what there is to replace them with is a burning issue.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what a load of crap. not england, everyones predicatable responce to a loss. if that had been 0-1 you'd all have said how great it was.

first half was slow but we bossed the midfield and looked like professionals who could keep the ball and shut out most of thir offensive threat, rather than the usual school boy headless chickens. second half we reverted to normal and it resembled a (poor) premiership match, one where they got on top of us.

Problem is rooney gets frstrated and comes too deep looking for the ball, and gerrard doesnt support enough. if we had the first half tactics with owen, defoe or maybe even johnson up front, we would have got a goal or two.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Actually Capello does take part of the blame. If he's such a fecking shit hot manager why can't he:
a) pick a better team, and
b) get more out of the 11 he has on the pitch?

We were bloody woeful for most of the game. No energy, no drive, no enthusiasm.

And then he's interviewed and can't even speak our bloody language.

Totally agree with you.

If he can,t be bothered to speak English to a reporter, does he really have the communication skills, so necessary, to tell the England players what he wants them to do.
I,ve seen teams in league 1, who clearly don,t have the best players, but a manager can at least organise them. Tonight was an utter shambles after the substitutions. No pattern of play, no organisation, no passion..............no f***ing clue...!
The buck stops with the manager. As far as I,m concerned, he can f*** right off, with another huge payout from our incompetent FA bosses.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
what a load of crap. not england, everyones predicatable responce to a loss. if that had been 0-1 you'd all have said how great it was.

first half was slow but we bossed the midfield and looked like professionals who could keep the ball and shut out most of thir offensive threat, rather than the usual school boy headless chickens. second half we reverted to normal and it resembled a (poor) premiership match, one where they got on top of us.

Problem is rooney gets frstrated and comes too deep looking for the ball, and gerrard doesnt support enough. if we had the first half tactics with owen, defoe or maybe even johnson up front, we would have got a goal or two.

I'd still be saying it was a piece of shit performance if we won 3-0. Right now I don't care about results in these meaningless games I just want to see a good bloody performance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:jester:

Give the man a chance for fucks sake. He has a MASSIVE rebuilding job to do, tonight highlighted that more than ever if it needed highlighting. We weren't going to become world beaters overnight. Oh, and he can speak English, he just doesn't to the press.

We were very poor tonight and France weren't much better, it did have the feel of a meaningless friendly at a time when there are big club games days before and after.

Rooney can play in this formation for United because Ronaldo makes strikers runs, he often has Tevez to swap with as well as some very fine attacking midfielders, England have none of that. He needs someone in front of him. Beckham, Downing, Brown, have no part to play and others need to be under serious scrutiny, although what there is to replace them with is a burning issue.

Rebuilding job? What will he rebuild with? The players at his disposal are rubbish. And before you trot out the 'they do it for their clubs' arguement I'm sure I would look good if I was surrounded by the world's best. Stick a brainless defender alongside a quality foreign player and he looks good....stick 4 brainless players together and they look like...well England.

Oct 25, 2003
Totally agree with you.

If he can,t be bothered to speak English to a reporter, does he really have the communication skills, so necessary, to tell the England players what he wants them to do.
I,ve seen teams in league 1, who clearly don,t have the best players, but a manager can at least organise them. Tonight was an utter shambles after the substitutions. No pattern of play, no organisation, no passion..............no f***ing clue...!
The buck stops with the manager. As far as I,m concerned, he can f*** right off, with another huge payout from our incompetent FA bosses.

1) he doesn't speak english to our reporters cos he doesn't want to be misinterpreted, until he's 100% flutent i don't blame him

2) he speaks english to the players

3) organise? i think its more down to our very average standard of players, generally france have better players than us........i thought we looked fairly ok just not threatening

the guy has to have atleast 4/5 years to shake up the shambles of english football, we're not very good at all, and when the 'sun reader' population accept that we can start to move on

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Yeah it wasn't a good performance tonight but I think it's time we eased up on the pressure (fans & media)

I think we have a decent, successful manger in charge who WILL get things right, I think we all have to let him experiment and only judge him when it comes to crunch time (the qualifiers). It those games that count, not a poxy friendly with France. Obvoiusly this isn't ideal as we all want England to win every game whether its a World Cup Final against Brazil or a friendly against the Boys Brigade, but I think we have to give him time and hope he comes good.

They say that a good manager will learn a lot more about his team from a defeat than from a win - let's hope they're right!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yup England were crap tonight and it was a dire dire match of football. I'd be lieing if I said I wasn't dissapointed, Fab Fab has been built up so much that it's impossible not to expect even some sign of improvement.

Unfortunately tonight the only positive you can take is that we looked pretty solid and unlikely to concede, only a crazy moment from David James gifting France a goal. Personally I wouldn't start Terry (I think he would be top of the list of players who need to earn their place again), but in general I don't think I could complain too much with the defensive play.

Our problem was going forward, where we looked completely inept. The most distressing aspect was the complete inability to cross a ball. Beckham is a good player but his days of making attacking runs are gone, and Joe Cole looks unlikely to ever live up to his potential on the international stage. The real joke has to be Downing though. How this player has ever been awarded a cap is beyond me. Completely inept throughout his performance, he was failing to deliver balls that Kerry Mayo could have done something with. I'd be dissapointed if he is involved any further with England. Ashley Cole can get lost as far as I'm concerned - the very definition of overpaid and passionless modern footballers.

Up front we need a goalscorer, and with Owen somewhat lost at the moment we lack it. I still think Owen could recreate his poaching ability that once made him look world class, but until he starts banging them in with King Kev he's little use. Rooney is overrated, especially on the international stage, and anyhow he was used in entirely the wrong position tonight where it's no suprise he never looked like scoring.

The real dissapointment is Gerrard though. Time and time again I say "give him another chance", because I genuinely think he could be one of the best midfielders in the world, but the evidence continually points to the fact that he is nowhere near as good as the hype and lost on the big stage. How much longer can we give him before we have to accept that he only cares about Liverpool?

I don't really blame Capello too much, it's only his second game in charge and at least we never looked like shipping 3 goals. But he has clearly got his work cut out to get the team playing like we all expect them to. I just hope he's given the time to do so.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't Capello have the reputation of producing dull defensive minded teams that play on the counter attack? He's got his work cut out with his choice of quality strikers needed to play like that. I think I'll be waiting a long time before it's worth watching England again then. At least McClaren's England teams were entertaining to watch for the most part and after all the end result is always the same, England lose when they play a genuinely decent team so may as well be entertained on the way imo.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Dire ... but to be expected.

The thing that really hacks me off is the inability of our so called world class players to play anything other than 4-4-2, granted they can, with a bit of luck and a prevailing wind hack 4-5-1 but anything other than that and they're look lost. How can you class yourself as world class if you can't play any other formation, how can you pick up £100k+ per week and not be able to do what most players in Europe do week in week out. :annoyed:
Granted the Germans tend to play 4-4-2 but they can easily play other formations, the French play half a dozen different formations in one bloody game.

Capello knows that for England to challenge for the world cup they need versitility hence trying something other than 4-4-2 in the first half. If we believe that we can win the world using 4-4-2 then we are sadly dillusional.

If anyone watched La lige last season you'll know that Beckham ended up playing right back for a couple of games, something he did very well, maybe Capello thinks this is an option.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

If anyone watched La lige last season you'll know that Beckham ended up playing right back for a couple of games, something he did very well, maybe Capello thinks this is an option.

I despair that anyone thinks we should continue playing Beckham...time to move on and think to the future:nono:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah who needs Beckham when we've got David 'looks good against teams battling relegation, does f*** all against anyone semi-decent' Bentley. Or Aaron Lennon and SWP tons of pace, no footballing ability whatsoever

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah who needs Beckham when we've got David 'looks good against teams battling relegation, does f*** all against anyone semi-decent' Bentley. Or Aaron Lennon and SWP tons of pace, no footballing ability whatsoever

OK let's continue to play a semi fit over the top player in meaningless matches and not bother trying to bed in any players for the future then :clap:

Bring on Beckham's 150 caps eh?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We were solid but we have no firepower. Rooney plays like an attacking midfielder so we have no out and out striker.

We need a Shearer or Lineker but we do not have one and at this level that is a serious problem.

France tonight had Anelka and Trezeguez and still had Henry not playing who do we have? Peter Crouch and Michael Owen

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Capello and Ferdinand were pleased with the performance saying we kept the ball really well - maybe we did, but not creating any clear cut chances must be a worry

John Terry is lucky all the other defenders are injured, as he shouldnt be getting a look in

It is a team without any pace, maybe thats were the problem lies

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
OK let's continue to play a semi fit over the top player in meaningless matches and not bother trying to bed in any players for the future then :clap:

Bring on Beckham's 150 caps eh?

What's an over-the-top player?
I don't think it's ideal but he's out of practice as its close-season and i don't think there's anyone clearly better than him.
If he played for any other country he'd still still get in the squad as he still has more ability than most

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008

At last a sensible view. We passed the ball around quite well in the first half and pushed France back making them play on the break. OK we didn't create much but how often in the past could we have said that we dominated posession against a team like France?

So not all doom and gloom, although the 2nd half hoofball was predictably crap.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Quite. I don't see the fascination with David Bentley.

I still want to see Ashley Young on the right (or left for that matter). A player who can run at defenders AND cross the ball PROPERLY.

Last night it walso struck me (again actually) how much cleaning up work Barry does for the left back. Cole got beaten a few times in the first half (before I switched the tele off) and Barry was almost always in behind covering having made up 40 yards.

Thought the middle two played okay, Joe Cole didn't do the basics, Beckham looked fit, Terry was poor, Rio had a decent enough game but didn't get close enough to his man a couple of times and James should probably have come out sliding at Anelkas feet.

The main thing that struck me, however, is that we NEED to be playing Crouch up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here