Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England call up - who?

Who will be the next Brighton player to make the senior England squad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It would have been Solly but I fear he won't be back for the next games. If Lamptey is it will be him because of the hype. It should be Webster but it won't be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We’ll need waistcoat man to feck off and then we could have a glut of them. No chance until then

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Sanchez is Spanish for everyone saying him...

Qualifies through residency rules. The same way Carlo Cudicini was always mentioned that he could play for England.

It would have been Solly but I fear he won't be back for the next games. If Lamptey is it will be him because of the hype. It should be Webster but it won't be.

If Lamptey gets back to fitness and on the pitch then he as a chance to play himself back into the reckoning for an England call up, we've got at least 8 games between now and the next international break towards the end of March. I don't think Lampety will get called up to the full squad as there are quite a lot of right backs in the mix, if he's fit he'll be with the U21s again. March surely has more chance as a left sided player where we don't have that many options at all. Let's hope his injury isn't too bad and we see him back on the pitch soon (for our sake rather than England or Southgate's primarily).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
None - just to manage my and anyone else’s expectations for when the squads announced etc...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The only players with a chance of a call up are the defenders and wing backs in my opinion.

Sadly, Southgate has his favourites at centre back; be it trying to blood profoundly inexperienced players in Gomez or Tomori or fancying dull plodding mistake makers like Keane, Mings and Dier whom regularly get the call ahead of our boys. A former favourite Stones will be back soon and we all know that Slab-head is undroppable as Southgate stood behind the thug post holiday brawl. Coady, however, is a great long passer who deserves his place. I just don’t think Gareth will be looking at any other centre backs no matter how well our lads perform. He is blind to Brighton.

Poor Lamptey is behind a huge queue of quality RB’s and RWBs who play for top six sides including James, Walker, TAA, Justin & Wan-Bisakkas. Southgate also loves his Trippier! Sorry Lamps, you’ll need to play for a top six or rely on an injury crisis to be picked, form and talent won’t convince Gareth.

So, the most likely is Solly at LWB, the resurgence of Shaw and quality or Chilwell would make a start remote but Solly would certainly be a useful squad player at a tournament to cope with changing tactics or injuries.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Jake Humphreys said at half time that there was England talk around Webster, I haven't seen it but I assume there is some truth to his comment. Could be hard to hold on to him this summer.

It might be Sanchez, purely if Southgate wants to lock him in to England if Spain are looking. He did the same with Tomori last season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
As long as I've a hole in my arse England will never win any major trophy unless they have a Manager who thinks outside the box .

What England require is a mental ballsy manager that will lob 2 strikers on the pitch whilst winning 1 nil away with 10 minutes to go .

Of course there's not any manager around that would be daft enough to do that but that's exactly what England need .

As for having Brighton players in the team !

HA !

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Qualifies through residency rules. The same way Carlo Cudicini was always mentioned that he could play for England.

If Lamptey gets back to fitness and on the pitch then he as a chance to play himself back into the reckoning for an England call up, we've got at least 8 games between now and the next international break towards the end of March. I don't think Lampety will get called up to the full squad as there are quite a lot of right backs in the mix, if he's fit he'll be with the U21s again. March surely has more chance as a left sided player where we don't have that many options at all. Let's hope his injury isn't too bad and we see him back on the pitch soon (for our sake rather than England or Southgate's primarily).

But Sanchez has been here since he was 14. Much more English than Cudicini who had a decent career in Italy before coming to England

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Thinking about this logically the only one with any chance is Lamptey:

Lamptey - ex-Chelsea and U23 squad therefore has a good chance
White - possible he did spend a season at Leeds but not U23
March - no chance he is just a country bumpkin although he did play for the U23
Dunk - tried that but he only plays for Brighton and didn't play for the U23s so he is crap
Webster - Bristol -> Brighton, and not played for U23s no chance until he get a transfer to Man United.

for me the best fit would be Solly March but it wont happen.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The only players with a chance of a call up are the defenders and wing backs in my opinion.

Sadly, Southgate has his favourites at centre back; be it trying to blood profoundly inexperienced players in Gomez or Tomori or fancying dull plodding mistake makers like Keane, Mings and Dier whom regularly get the call ahead of our boys. A former favourite Stones will be back soon and we all know that Slab-head is undroppable as Southgate stood behind the thug post holiday brawl. Coady, however, is a great long passer who deserves his place. I just don’t think Gareth will be looking at any other centre backs no matter how well our lads perform. He is blind to Brighton.

Poor Lamptey is behind a huge queue of quality RB’s and RWBs who play for top six sides including James, Walker, TAA, Justin & Wan-Bisakkas. Southgate also loves his Trippier! Sorry Lamps, you’ll need to play for a top six or rely on an injury crisis to be picked, form and talent won’t convince Gareth.

So, the most likely is Solly at LWB, the resurgence of Shaw and quality or Chilwell would make a start remote but Solly would certainly be a useful squad player at a tournament to cope with changing tactics or injuries.

Agree on all counts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
But Sanchez has been here since he was 14. Much more English than Cudicini who had a decent career in Italy before coming to England

Yeah but the rule that allows them to qualify is the same residency rule, it's down to how long they've spent in the country. Of course Sanchez moved over here at a very young age which meant he qualifies now rather than Cudicini who didn't become eligible to play for England until he was about 29 years old (I think he always said he'd never play for us anyway so would refuse a call up).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sadly I think Solly will be out for a while. He could do a fantastic job at left wing back for England, However, people seem to be forgetting that Luke Shaw is having the season of his life and will almost certainly come in, and can play as a traditional left back or higher up the pitch.

Webster should be in the squad if Southgate wants a bang in form ball playing CB but, again, I bet he isn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
March, Webster and Lamptey all have reasonable chances.

First will likely be Lamptey purely because they’ll be scared of him opting for Ghana, who have already been in touch.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
All the time the clueless Southgate is in charge our players don’t have a chance of getting selected. He has his favourites who get picked regardless of form and that’s the end of it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Possibly, but perhaps not while playing for us.

I'm not getting too excited about Webster. The morning has only just broken. But he's looking promising to move up a level in his game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here