Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND are playing tonight

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
An England international match tonight, and not ONE THREAD all day on the game.

Its official. Sven Goran Eriksson has murdered International football friendlies forever. I used to watch with interest as the England team was put through its paces by the opposition, looking forward to seeing the odd debut from someone who could perhaps force his way into the squad. Hell, I even used to go to a few. Now though, the swedish slaphead has reduced friendlies to a farce, no-one could give a toss about them any more. I'll probably watch it tonight anyway (its still better than Corrie or Big Brother), but with minimal interest.
Rubbish innit.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Go over to Worthing instead and watch El Turi play for the reserves.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I did'nt even know there was a game on tonight until SUNDAY! going down my mates for TEA and BISCUITS and may very well watch the match.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
'Only' six subs? A game with that many changes will teach a coach nothing, IMHO. I'll watch the highlights on the beeb tonight, not having Sky, but it really wouldn't bother me too much if I missed it.

Easy's right, they just don't have the allure they once did - I used to go to every single game at Wembley, but I haven't seen an England game live for years now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill Seagull said:
'Only' six subs? A game with that many changes will teach a coach nothing, IMHO. I'll watch the highlights on the beeb tonight, not having Sky, but it really wouldn't bother me too much if I missed it.

Easy's right, they just don't have the allure they once did - I used to go to every single game at Wembley, but I haven't seen an England game live for years now.

It is a no win for Sven.

If he sticks with the strongest 11 for most of the game, people moan that we learnt nothing from it.

If he makes a few changes people moan that it devalues the game.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
He could play a starting 11 with a few fringe players in it, to see if they're up to the standard, then bring on three subs during the course of the game. That way he's still seen plenty of new boys (six or seven if he starts with three or four fringe players) and doesn't have to disrupt the shape of the side any more than a manager during a normal league game making three subs would.

I think most people would accept that. I don't mind that much, honestly - the results of the friendlies are irrelevant, and his record in matches that matter is pretty good, but as a spectacle it renders them pretty dull, for me, which is my main gripe, hence I won't make a special effort to watch it live, which I think was part of Easy's original point.

I honestly can't see what he learns from them though.

Last edited:

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Sweden vs Czech Republic round here, if I can persuade the missus after a hard days work (for her not me, I'm here on a free jolly) to go. Damn shame it's in Gothenburg not Stockholm.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm glad he's gone with the strongest XI available, I wish he'd play the strongest side more often in friendlies.

I expect a decent England performance tonight as everybody wants to be in the World Cup squad.

Prediction - 2-1 England with goals from Rooney and Beckham.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
It is a no win for Sven.

If he sticks with the strongest 11 for most of the game, people moan that we learnt nothing from it.

Agree

Sammy the seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Brighton
I dont like the way sven likes to play he always bring on Phil Neville in midfield when were winning 1-0, I would much rather us bring on an attacking player and go for some more goals!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sammy the seagull said:
I dont like the way sven likes to play he always bring on Phil Neville in midfield when were winning 1-0, I would much rather us bring on an attacking player and go for some more goals!

Id like it if he wasnt in the squad

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
It is a no win for Sven.

Send out a team that has me on the edge of my seat and I'd be happy, but he's such a clueless manager that I'm not even going to bother to watch because it WILL be a shit game.

and I haven't got Sky anyway :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here