Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Abuse!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe I did Sven a disservice and the players that we are producing are just 2nd or even 3rd rate. The Premiership and it's quality belies the fact that virtually none of the good 'uns are English. I hated watching Sven's England team but now I just cannot raise any enthusiasm to watch McClaren's England and I only watched them twice before I gave up. Abuse won't work, fans not bothering to turn up or watch would, but that ain't gonna happen.

Hannibal smith said:
I think you mean successor, but anyway. I think it influences things a lot. If we had lost all 3 group games, would you have wanted the England coach to take over the managers job? Quality coaches often resign from top teams during or after the world cup. Perhaps, just perhaps one of them would have been a better bet than Steve Mcdonut.

Yes, successor it should have been (post edited).

Actually, I wouldn't have wanted mcClown under any circumstance or timing, and I think the FA were appointing him more out of sympathy for HIM rather than for the England future. Which underlines why they shouldn't be there either, as this old-boy network of 'diplomatic politicians' is not what will make England successful.
They will only appoint someone who will respect them, and they don't deserve respect - so it's a vicious circle of foolery running the show (shambles).

Icy Gull said:
Maybe I did Sven a disservice and the players that we are producing are just 2nd or even 3rd rate. The Premiership and it's quality belies the fact that virtually none of the good 'uns are English. I hated watching Sven's England team but now I just cannot raise any enthusiasm to watch McClaren's England and I only watched them twice before I gave up. Abuse won't work, fans not bothering to turn up or watch would, but that ain't gonna happen.

Actually, I wouldn't bet against that. New Wembley 'should' be pretty full for England internationals under normal circumstances, but if mcClaren runs Middlesboro pt.II then crowds may well dwindle.
I bet the travelling fans are questioning themselves as to why they pay to put themselves through it.

Albion Rob said:
My point, which seems to have been lost in the ether of yuor posts, is that McClaren was told the job was his and probably signed an agreement on 4th May.

Therefore the world and his wife knew he would be taking over effectively the minute Enlgand were eliminated.

The prevented us seeing who was out of work post-WC and appointing them because, you've guessed it, the ginger savious of English football was on a promise.

Therefore, he may have actually started work on August 1 but the agreement to appoint him meant we couldn't go for anyone else.

Erikkson had a contract up to the end of 2008 so be gratefukl cos you might still be lumbered with him. Barwick haad obviously lost patience with him after the 'fake sheikh' affair, the meetings with Chelksea, the Ulrika aair and wanted him out asap. It made sense at the time to get a sucessor lined up asap so that the World Cup campaign would not be swamped by speculation over the successpr.

BTW

Hiddink ws inder contract to PSV Eindhoven, the Australia FA and had a "pre-contract" agreement with the Russian FA and would have to be paid off all three.

Scholari would have taken it but wouldn't committ until after the WC so making himself unavailable to the FA

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Storer68 said:
Erikkson had a contract up to the end of 2008 so be gratefukl cos you might still be lumbered with him. Barwick haad obviously lost patience with him after the 'fake sheikh' affair, the meetings with Chelksea, the Ulrika aair and wanted him out asap. It made sense at the time to get a sucessor lined up asap so that the World Cup campaign would not be swamped by speculation over the successpr.

BTW

Hiddink ws inder contract to PSV Eindhoven, the Australia FA and had a "pre-contract" agreement with the Russian FA and would have to be paid off all three.

Scholari would have taken it but wouldn't committ until after the WC so making himself unavailable to the FA
lumbered all the way to the finals?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Mr Blobby said:
We went to Israel and Barcelona and had a fantastic time regardless of the football!

People were shouting "shhhooooooottttt" whenever Robinson had the ball (as he scored a couple of weeks ago). Downing got the most stick of the players last night, but generally I would say able 10,000 out of 12,000 England fans were chanting aginst McClaren last night!

BTW it was cold, raining and a howling gale was blowing round the Olympic stadium last night!

Will do a match/tour report tomorrow, got in at 3.30am this morning and was up at 7am for work!

Anyway as to having more money then sense, probably true, but after spending 3 days touring round Israel (went to Bethleham, Jerusalem, Nazareth, Sea of Galilee and the Jordon river) I would say worth every single penny!
ggood to see 2000 had some sense then

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Barrel of Fun said:
I think Adrie means that McClaren talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. Excuses are always offered as to why we fail to look like a fluent football side but very little seems to be done to address the problem.

sorry, bof. was looking at it from a more lexicographic point of view. but then that's just me.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
NMH said:
).

Actually, I wouldn't have wanted mcClown under any circumstance or timing, and I think the FA were appointing him more out of sympathy for HIM rather than for the England future. Which underlines why they shouldn't be there either, as this old-boy network of 'diplomatic politicians' is not what will make England successful.
They will only appoint someone who will respect them, and they don't deserve respect - so it's a vicious circle of foolery running the show (shambles).

That's why Brian Clough never got the Job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here