Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Abuse!

Albion Rob

NMH said:
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand a word of that .....England DID wait until after the WC to appoint a manager ???

Plus....joey Barton and David Nugent? Are you having a laugh?

I refer you to Hannibal Smith's post above and accept your apology gracefully.

Yeah, I would rather see Barton and Nugent out there. Nugent was a damn sight better than Johnson (although granted against a tiring team) and I like Barton.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nugent is decent in the air.

I'll tell you who I'd rather see out there than any of Johnson, Defoe and Bent. Leroy Lita.

There, I said it.

Hannibal smith said:
Mclaren was appointed on the 4th May, a month before the World Cup. Why we felt the need to do this I don't know.

Sven's appointment
Tuesday, 24 January 2006.

TheFA.com traces the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson and highlights the key dates in the Swede becoming England's first foreign Head Coach.

Oct 7 2000: Kevin Keegan resigns as England coach after a 1-0 World Cup qualifying defeat by Germany at Wembley. "I have given it my best shot, but it has not quite been good enough," Keegan said.

Oct 11: England, with the FA's Technical Director Howard Wilkinson in charge, draw 0-0 with Finland in another qualifier in Helsinki.

Oct 22: The FA appoint Peter Taylor, the Leicester City manager, to the caretaker position, with Manchester United No 2 Steve McClaren as his assistant.

Oct 31: Sven-Goran Eriksson, Swedish coach of Lazio, is named England's first foreign coach beginning on July 1.

Nov 9: Peter Taylor gives youth a chance and includes no player over 30 in his England squad for a friendly with Italy.

Nov 15: England, captained for the first time by David Beckham, perform creditaby in a 1-0 defeat by Italy in Turin.

Jan 8: Eriksson holds talks with the Lazio president, Sergio Cragnotti.

Jan 9: Eriksson resigns from Lazio, freeing himself to take charge of England before the following month's friendly against Spain.

Jan 12: Sven is introduced to the press on his first day at Soho Square.

Feb 28: Sven steers the Three Lions to a wonderful 3-0 win over Spain in his first game in charge.

Naming a new look side that included debutant Chris Powell at left-back, England cruised home thanks to goals from Nick Barmby, Emile Heskey and Ugo Ehiogu (pictured celebrating below).

To complete a perfect evening at Villa Park, Nigel Martyn saved Javier Moreno's penalty.

Sven's first squad: Michael Ball, Nick Barmby, David Beckham, Wes Brown, Nicky Butt, Sol Campbell, Jamie Carragher, Michael Carrick, Andy Cole, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Kieron Dyer, Ugo Ehiogu, Rio Ferdinand, Robbie Fowler, Emile Heskey, David James, Frank Lampard, Steve McManaman, Gavin McCann, Nigel Martyn, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Michael Owen, Ray Parlour, Kevin Phillips, Chris Powell, Paul Scholes, David Seaman, Teddy Sheringham, Richard Wright

Sven's first starting XI: James: P Neville, Ferdinand, Campbell, Powell; Beckham, Butt, Scholes, Barmby; Andy Cole, Owen.

:lolol:

ROUTE TO SVEN'S SUCCESSOR
23 Jan: Eriksson to quit
25 Jan: Hiddink interested
7 Feb: Curbishley tipped
17 Feb: O'Neill tops poll
13 March: Charlton give Curbishley all clear
22 March: Pearce plays down England rumours
26 March: Allardyce calls for English boss to succeed Sven
5 April: FA options open
9 April: Hiddink ruled out
16 April: Scolari 'out of England running'
20 April: Media back O'Neill
25 April: Allardyce in the frame for England job
27 April: FA deal for Scolari
28 April: Scolari rejects deal
4 May: Mclaren appointed

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nolan of Bolton is another very good player who is never given a chance.

Why didn't Gareth Barry get on over the last 2 games?

It wouldn't bother me If Andrew Johnson didn't play again either.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
NS Herald said:
More money than sense then - much like (most of) the players they are 'supporting' :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

We went to Israel and Barcelona and had a fantastic time regardless of the football!

People were shouting "shhhooooooottttt" whenever Robinson had the ball (as he scored a couple of weeks ago). Downing got the most stick of the players last night, but generally I would say able 10,000 out of 12,000 England fans were chanting aginst McClaren last night!

BTW it was cold, raining and a howling gale was blowing round the Olympic stadium last night!

Will do a match/tour report tomorrow, got in at 3.30am this morning and was up at 7am for work!

Anyway as to having more money then sense, probably true, but after spending 3 days touring round Israel (went to Bethleham, Jerusalem, Nazareth, Sea of Galilee and the Jordon river) I would say worth every single penny!

Hannibal smith said:
Mclaren was appointed on the 4th May, a month before the World Cup. Why we felt the need to do this I don't know.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4969592.stm

"Eriksson's current assistant has agreed a four-year deal starting on 1 August.

McClaren insisted that he was not bothered by the lengthy process, which took almost three months and gave the impression he was not the first choice. "

Sorry again, but since when has the World Cup ever started from the 1st of August?

I might be wrong, but every time I looked, the WC Finals finished ahead of the UK season start. ???

Please correct me on this, I believe I have entered a weird other-world, where time is being warped and England managers have their own Tardis for time travel :ohmy:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did the contract start on 1 August but McLaren was advised of the appointment a couple of months earlier?

Last edited:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
NMH said:
"Eriksson's current assistant has agreed a four-year deal starting on 1 August.

McClaren insisted that he was not bothered by the lengthy process, which took almost three months and gave the impression he was not the first choice. "

Sorry again, but since when has the World Cup ever started from the 1st of August?

I might be wrong, but every time I looked, the WC Finals finished ahead of the UK season start. ???

Please correct me on this, I believe I have entered a weird other-world, where time is being warped and England managers have their own Tardis for time travel :ohmy:

f*** sake its not that hard.

Mclaren was announced as the new England manager on 4th May. He took over the job on 1st August. Why didn't we wait until after the World Cup to appoint a new manager rather than giving it to Mclaren BEFORE it started?

Comprendez?

Hannibal smith said:
f*** sake its not that hard.

Mclaren was announced as the new England manager on 4th May. He took over the job on 1st August. Why didn't we wait until after the World Cup to appoint a new manager rather than giving it to Mclaren BEFORE it started?

Comprendez?

Well it was very much open to mis-interpretation - "announcing a successor on date x" isn't quite the same as "appointing new manager on date x" is it.
Sven was manager for the WC, and I fail to see what bearing the results of that competition had on the appointment of his predecessor. No manager in football was going to change the decision by results, and I imagine the FA did it to actually help matters on the pitch (except as a desparate attempt to bolster player stability for that competition, which would have been negligible imo).

Last edited:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
NMH said:

Sven was manager for the WC, and I fail to see what bearing the results of that competition had on the appointment of his predecessor.

I think you mean successor, but anyway. I think it influences things a lot. If we had lost all 3 group games, would you have wanted the England coach to take over the managers job? Quality coaches often resign from top teams during or after the world cup. Perhaps, just perhaps one of them would have been a better bet than Steve Mcdonut.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I can't honestly believe Venables is sitting there and letting this shower of shite happen...Does he have absolutely no say at all? Surely he can see it if Mclaren can't?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Buzz said:
Nolan of Bolton is another very good player who is never given a chance.

Why didn't Gareth Barry get on over the last 2 games?

It wouldn't bother me If Andrew Johnson didn't play again either.

He still looked more likely to score out of him and Rooney

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Kinky Gerbils said:
He still looked more likely to score out of him and Rooney

Agreed but I'm afraid that doesn't say much!

Albion Rob

NMH said:
Well it was very much open to mis-interpretation - "announcing a predecessor on date x" isn't quite the same as "appointing new manager on date x" is it.
Sven was manager for the WC, and I fail to see what bearing the results of that competition had on the appointment of his predecessor. No manager in football was going to change the decision by results, and I imagine the FA did it to actually help matters on the pitch (except as a desparate attempt to bolster player stability for that competition, which would have been negligible imo).

My point, which seems to have been lost in the ether of yuor posts, is that McClaren was told the job was his and probably signed an agreement on 4th May.

Therefore the world and his wife knew he would be taking over effectively the minute Enlgand were eliminated.

The prevented us seeing who was out of work post-WC and appointing them because, you've guessed it, the ginger savious of English football was on a promise.

Therefore, he may have actually started work on August 1 but the agreement to appoint him meant we couldn't go for anyone else.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Kinky Gerbils said:
I think last night was the first time Ive cheered on another country playing England.

Really wanted Andorra to hold on till half time.

That is wrong, no matter how bad your team is doing, why the f*** would you support the opposition?

I just dont get it:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here