Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Engines. Anyone?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Err. it's the thing with the white top and wire attached to it sticking out of the top of the thing with the fins on it. Yes and yes.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Should be 4 stroke
is that the oil? does it matter much that I put the other stuff in (is it important to try and drain it all out?)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Most motor mowers are 4 stroke.There are two possible places to put oil, one of them is the fuel tank. This is the wrong place. The other is a tube that sticks up beside the cylinder thingy with the fins, it has a cap with a stick on the end, did you put the oil in this hole?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Most motor mowers are 4 stroke.There are two possible places to put oil, one of them is the fuel tank. This is the wrong place. The other is a tube that sticks up beside the cylinder thingy with the fins, it has a cap with a stick on the end, did you put the oil in this hole?
yes definitely used the right hole - but with hindsight put far too much in... does the hole in the exhaust matter?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
No. might make it a bit harder to start and make a bit more noise to annoy the neighbours.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Nah won't make you any friends but it should be fine. Have you got a turkey baster you can sometimes get the overfilled oil out with it, unless the filler has a kink. Saves the tip up method and fuel on the carbs issue pointed out above! :lol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Nah won't make you any friends but it should be fine. Have you got a turkey baster you can sometimes get the overfilled oil out with it, unless the filler has a kink. Saves the tip up method and fuel on the carbs issue pointed out above! :lol:
no turkey baster and not really liking the tip up method and associated complications... is it an option just to run the mower til the oil level subsides and the smoke stops or is it damaging the engine to do that..?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
a quick trawl through various manuals on the Hayter website suggests there is no sump plug but that you run the mower until the fuel is empty and then tip it up sadly. Seems daft to me but there you go....depends on your model but as they suggest that as a maintenance option that this would be your option I'd say...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Put some cling film under the fuel cap. Tip it up oil filler tube nearest to the floor this leaves the carb. and fuel tank on top . with the cling film on a little bit of fuel may come out of the carbaretter. If you don't get the surplus oil out, I won't go into why but the engine might die.
Now tip it up and stop being a wuss. :)
Are you in Jerusalem Moshie , if so I have an old West stand season ticket mate who lives there.I could get him to pop round and give you a hand he will remember your playing days. I'am afraid i am too busy looking after the grass of the good people of Hedge End. :lol:

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Sounds like your piston ring is worn, either that or you've overfilled the oil. Is it a two or four stroke, in the case of the former you might need to give it a 50/1 petrol oil mix.
On the other hand, it might be pinking because you're using it at altitude and haven't adjusted the carb jet to allow for altitude.
Do not attempt to mow the tip of the South Downs without consulting an authorised Hayter dealer or the AmEx groundsman.
Sound advice from an old hand.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Put some cling film under the fuel cap. Tip it up oil filler tube nearest to the floor this leaves the carb. and fuel tank on top . with the cling film on a little bit of fuel may come out of the carbaretter. If you don't get the surplus oil out, I won't go into why but the engine might die.
Now tip it up and stop being a wuss. :)
Are you in Jerusalem Moshie , if so I have an old West stand season ticket mate who lives there.I could get him to pop round and give you a hand he will remember your playing days. I'am afraid i am too busy looking after the grass of the good people of Hedge End. :lol:
ooh... "engine might die" does add a bit of urgency to the whole tip it up procedure - I will go for it tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

How I dream of returning to the holy city - having to make do with a retirement place in Eastbourne with my old mate Jacob Cohen...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sounds like your piston ring is worn, either that or you've overfilled the oil. Is it a two or four stroke, in the case of the former you might need to give it a 50/1 petrol oil mix.
On the other hand, it might be pinking because you're using it at altitude and haven't adjusted the carb jet to allow for altitude.
Do not attempt to mow the tip of the South Downs without consulting an authorised Hayter dealer or the AmEx groundsman.
Sound advice from an old hand.
Do I know you? My garden is, as it happens, on the South Downs - how do I adjust the carb jet? :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
a quick trawl through various manuals on the Hayter website suggests there is no sump plug but that you run the mower until the fuel is empty and then tip it up sadly. Seems daft to me but there you go....depends on your model but as they suggest that as a maintenance option that this would be your option I'd say...
very kind of you to look that up... I'm going to try tipping some of the oil out in a location where a petrol spillage won't matter...

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
Engine oil from the garage - said it was "multipurpose" or suchlike...

Do you know a bit? Is the rusted hole a problem or do you think it is the oil?

You didn't mention what model of Harrier mower it is, but a Harrier 41 for example requires a specific oil. In it's case it's a detergent oil classified as SAE30. I would hazard a guess that the oil you purchased from the garage is a multi-grade car engine oil covering a range of SAE numbers for example 30-50.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Morning Moshe...

Thoroughly enjoying this lawnmower epic.

Can you provide us with a picture of your rusty hole ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Morning Moshe...

Thoroughly enjoying this lawnmower epic.

Can you provide us with a picture of your rusty hole ?
thanks Titanic - there has been some rather excellent advice about my rusty hole (I'm still hoping Lord B will provide his seal of approval for the "remove the plug and tug away" suggestion...)

I'm going home at lunchtime to sort this out and will attempt to provide a photographic record.

ps
I'm still a bit confused about whether I've put the wrong oil in...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"Oils well that ends well"

Attachments

• My rusty hole 1.jpg
    My rusty hole 1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Oils well that ends well 1.jpg
    Oils well that ends well 1.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Plumes 1.jpg
    Plumes 1.jpg