Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Engines. Anyone?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
@Moshe Gariani LOL :laugh:

I'm loving picture four... and your rather nice stripes on the upper lawn!

Last edited:

I'm no expert but looking at the amount of fumage i would suggest it may be knackered.

Are you sure you put the oil in the right hole?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh.. and don't let the Environmental Agency see pic 2... they don't like that sort of thing :nono:

Then again, you may well have scooped up that earth and disposed of it at your local tip :wink:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm no expert but looking at the amount of fumage i would suggest it may be knackered.

Are you sure you put the oil in the right hole?
Yes, definitely in the right hole. The FUMAGE was excessive at first but it did settle down after a while.

I'm fairly hopeful that following the expert advice given by the NSC "engine room" I have managed to avoid an expensive trip to the lawn mower repair shop - so thank you to all again.

Titanic - the upper lawn looks a bit like the pitch at The Amex... :) and of course I have disposed of the excess oil in a responsible and environmentally friendly manner (ahem...)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Well done Moshe, good to see you haven't cut the grass too short,that's just right.
The Briggs&Stratten engine in your machine is almost universal to motor mowers, they have been making it since... a long time. In the last 20 years I have had three of these (not Hayter) and never had any trouble with the engine. They have not been treated very well and have been used every day for at least 4 hrs a day for 6 months of the year. The only probs are with the cables breaking.
The oil is not what you are supposed to put in it, but it will do.
If you got one or more of these :sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep: you wouldn't need oil at all. :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
cheers skipper...

maybe I can get some of the right oil from these people who are helpfully advertising at the top of my page :)

Oil Suppliers Same or Next Day Delivery. Huge Range of Fuels and Lubricants. http://www.CrownOil.co.uk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
oilLogo001.gif
:facepalm:

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
I'm still a bit confused about whether I've put the wrong oil in...

Moshe, Q8 T 550 15W-40 is a universal mixed fleet engine lubricant for high performance engines. Its stretching the imagination a bit too far to describe your mower engine as high performance. What you need is SAE30 oil.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I once did that with a car - wish I'd tipped on its side now instead of selling it for about 2 bags less than it was worth.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Moshe, Q8 T 550 15W-40 is a universal mixed fleet engine lubricant for high performance engines. Its stretching the imagination a bit too far to describe your mower engine as high performance. What you need is SAE30 oil.
so not only did I put far too much in but I was using the wrong stuff...

sorry to hear about your jam jar @fisons :lol:

to avoid any more problems - will the Q8 stuff be ok in my Astra (which is slightly less high performance than the mower)...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here