Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Based on?

Oh ? Obviously you have not noticed.

Edit : Do you prefer what were Public Services to be in private ownership then ?

Obviously this applies to several energy and water companies too.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Oh ? Obviously you have not noticed.

Edit : Do you prefer what were Public Services to be in private ownership then ?

Obviously this applies to several energy and water companies too.

When someone comes out with a statement such as yours, I like to see the basis behind it..hence my question ..pity a sarcy reply…I just see that video as purely a political viewpoint shrug (one example is Dutch …their energy market is privatised)..I don’t recall people complaining about the benefits of competition re energy companies (We’ll exclude water as their isn’t any)…unfortunately the regulator didn’t do its job properly resulting in companies being allowed to trade with poor business models …service wise I’m still not seeing an answer to the question re energy companies…..regards to water I think privatisation is questionable

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
An extract from the DT

Surely not

Germany has admitted it is unable to hand families emergency cash this winter to help them survive the energy crisis.

Finance minister Christian Lindner has promised “a massive relief package” to stave off soaring energy costs but admitted that Berlin would be unable to give direct support to households for at least a year and a half due to chaotic record keeping.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An extract from the DT

Surely not

Germany has admitted it is unable to hand families emergency cash this winter to help them survive the energy crisis.

Finance minister Christian Lindner has promised “a massive relief package” to stave off soaring energy costs but admitted that Berlin would be unable to give direct support to households for at least a year and a half due to chaotic record keeping.

58D4ACF9-67A0-423A-BAC8-66AB45B95A08.png

0165186E-2D3F-475B-8864-955AA3CB52ED.png

09240186-BF53-4509-9D22-5F597E9218A6.png

F81FFF8B-4E54-44BA-85DE-6A1097B7861D.png

Coalition partners are against a windfall tax.

With an interesting point that they may allow all but the poor to pay full European market prices for their energy, so that households and businesses heavily cutback on consumption. The government are concerned that Germany will run out of gas.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Very much the explanation given in the third paragraph, too many are hanging on and just getting by, insulation and trying to be fuel efficient costs money that many do not have, a nationalised electricity company could have contained price surges and offered incentives towards efficiency.. obviously a privatised electricity company prefers to just sell electricity as there is NO incentive to them to sell less.

I agree with having a nationalized utility sector but not for the same reasons as you. It is easy to say in hindsight that better decisions would have been made in the lead up to this crisis but we just don’t know. Remember it would have been a Tory Government making the decisions and you seem to hate them. There is no panacea to current issues. We just need to speed up transition to a fully renewable energy sector.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Basic business model unfortunately but the rising energy prices are partly linked to keeping the respective shareholders happy, it’s much of the same for the supermarkets, one minute we see reports of rising prices on the shelves closely followed by the likes of Tescos, Sainsburys and Asda announcing record profits.

So how do you stop it?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Gone back to a bill... stop em taking what they like.

Never had a DD with energy supplier, may be a tad cheaper but like to keep my money in my account and pay for what I use ,not what they think .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Basic business model unfortunately but the rising energy prices are partly linked to keeping the respective shareholders happy, it’s much of the same for the supermarkets, one minute we see reports of rising prices on the shelves closely followed by the likes of Tescos, Sainsburys and Asda announcing record profits.

So how do you stop it?

its basic supply and demand. some countries have been increasing demand, while other countries reducing supply. price goes up. profits are just a byproduct, not a cause. you could stop it by not having open markets and not selling or buying from other countries.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I agree with having a nationalized utility sector but not for the same reasons as you. It is easy to say in hindsight that better decisions would have been made in the lead up to this crisis but we just don’t know. Remember it would have been a Tory Government making the decisions and you seem to hate them. There is no panacea to current issues. We just need to speed up transition to a fully renewable energy sector.

Agree that renewables (plus storage) are the way to go. Renewables are cheaper than nuclear already, and the costs continue to decrease.

Nuclear is comparatively expensive and leaves us with a quantity of waste product that is then extremely expensive to process, plus decommissioning a nuclear power plant is again a time consuming and expensive process.

Looking at France, for the Brennilis Power Plant (70MW) the decommissioning has already cost over 480 million euros (over 20x the estimate) and is still not complete over 20 years after beginning the process, with further costs expected.

We know how to build battery arrays, there are also molten salt energy storage facilities and hydroelectric energy storage facilities. The answer is to overproduce for our needs and then store the unused.

I’m still fuming that the tidal power facility at Swansea was turned down, what an opportunity missed. Even if it didn’t generate huge quantities of electricity, what an opportunity to learn and improve for the next iteration of these facilities. When you live on an island, squandering one of its most abundant and obvious resources seems almost criminally negligent.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
it ever there was a storm in a tea cup this is it the government will be issuing more free money soon I heard Boris talking about this on the tele last night

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This halt for "maintenance" has been known about for some time. The concern has been, and probably still is, whether Russia turn it back on again or find a "problem" that means they no longer send any gas through.

Seems that they may have found a 'problem'...

[tweet]1565737106227761155[/tweet]

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've completed my sign-up and it's currently pulling data into the app. It's got all my gas usage data, but the electricity data isn't current yet.

Here's an example of our gas usage from January. The darker the colour the more you used on that day...

View attachment 151404

...and you can drill into each day to see when the usage occurred...

View attachment 151405

The monetary amounts might be inaccurate - they might be based on current prices, but this should be a great tool to help identify, and reduce, consumption.
What on earth were you doing at 4.30 am to produce a spike like that?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Analysts are expecting gas prices to surge to record highs this week after Russia shut down a key pipeline to Europe.

At the same time, a growing number of UK manufacturers have said they are already cutting production or making job cuts as a direct result of “out of control” energy bills.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Analysts are expecting gas prices to surge to record highs this week after Russia shut down a key pipeline to Europe.

At the same time, a growing number of UK manufacturers have said they are already cutting production or making job cuts as a direct result of “out of control” energy bills.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Another nail in the coffin for small businesses and British manufacturing. Coupled with Covid, pretty soon the only place left to shop will be Amazon and the Chinese will be doing all our manufacturing. Which will be tricky when they invade Singapore and kick off WW3.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Telegraph saying Truss is considering a price freeze- so prices would stay where they are now for domestic customers potentially. Scottish Power have put forward a subsidy plans which would freeze prices for 2 years and could cost £100 Billion which is more than the £70 Billion government spent subsidising lockdown.

Not sure what the plan will be for businesses as they are not subject to the domestic price cap. A cap on unit price could work for them too I imagine.

Also not sure where this would leave anyone who has already hedged there bets and signed up to a fixed rate which is higher than the existing to protect themselves from further rises..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Telegraph saying Truss is considering a price freeze- so prices would stay where they are now for domestic customers potentially. Scottish Power have put forward a subsidy plans which would freeze prices for 2 years and could cost £100 Billion which is more than the £70 Billion government spent subsidising lockdown.

Not sure what the plan will be for businesses as they are not subject to the domestic price cap. A cap on unit price could work for them too I imagine.

Also not sure where this would leave anyone who has already hedged there bets and signed up to a fixed rate which is higher than the existing to protect themselves from further rises..

a major benefit of the tariff deficit fund is it doesnt outright cost anything, funds are loaned and government is guarantor, so only spends anything if a company goes bust. down side is permenantly higher bills for the next decade, that was expected to happen anyway. this is the easiest decision new PM will have to make this week. what they then need to do is come up with a sensible energy policy, sell that to the public so we can not face this problem again in a few years when everyone is running EVs and we realise we dont actually have enough electricity.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
It's gas, so it might have been the heating coming on. Or maybe it was the hot water which was timed to not clash with the heating coming on later.

You should set your boiler timings so that the heating comes on (if required) straight after the DHW so that the residual heat in the boiler is not wasted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here