Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've got one of those, who is also not the billpayer. I've tried to explain it, but with mixed results. His latest trick is to turn on the oven to cook a ready meal, and then forget he turned it on, which goes down well. Believe it or not, he even did that during the heatwave. Mind you, we're talking about a lad who once came home from school, turned on the TV, and then only an hour and a half later, noticed that there was a seagull in the room with him.

We've got two long term hotel guests.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Also - see Pakistan, and incoming heatwave in California.

But you know, some right wing media chatterbox with precisely zero qualifications will argue against any form of energy transition on the phone ins and chatshows in the name of balance, and the oil companies will continue to pay the politicians to enable the last bits of profit to come out of the system - and many in the west will still want their holiday and their second car - and nothing will change.

And thicko's believe it, in their millions.

A radio phone in I was listening to at the time of this summer's inferno, stated that wind turbines had caused global warming ..... he'd read it on youtube or twatter.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That loop thing sounds a good idea. I recall we did have a thread about tips to save energy a while back, but unfortunately, it turned into a right old binfest with some people trying to score political points against each other. I though it a real shame, as many of the ideas came across as well-intended. Some of them could really make a difference to people's bills.

I've completed my sign-up and it's currently pulling data into the app. It's got all my gas usage data, but the electricity data isn't current yet.

Here's an example of our gas usage from January. The darker the colour the more you used on that day...

IMG_6940.PNG

...and you can drill into each day to see when the usage occurred...

IMG_6941.PNG

The monetary amounts might be inaccurate - they might be based on current prices, but this should be a great tool to help identify, and reduce, consumption.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
And thicko's believe it, in their millions.

A radio phone in I was listening to at the time of this summer's inferno, stated that wind turbines had caused global warming ..... he'd ready it on youtube or twatter.

Last year I filmed some stuff on top of the Greenland Ice Cap. It was the most depressing thing I have ever seen in my life. A few months later, some absolute a hole started an argument with me about how the amount of melt was, in his view, a load of nonsense and simply made up.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've completed my sign-up and it's currently pulling data into the app. It's got all my gas usage data, but the electricity data isn't current yet.

Here's an example of our gas usage from January. The darker the colour the more you used on that day...

The monetary amounts might be inaccurate - they might be based on current prices, but this should be a great tool to help identify, and reduce, consumption.

Possibly not dissimilar circumstances? 4 bedrooms, an 80 year old home, 4 of us including some residents who are extremely relaxed about not helping Dad's bills, WFH:

29/11/21 to 27/03/22 winter
Elec 1,688 kWh (pro rated = 431 kWh pcm) / Gas 9,424 kWh (pro rated 2,408 kWh pcm)

29/7/22 to 22/08/22 summer, we didn't go away during this period
Elec 252 kWh (pro rated = 307 kWh pcm) / Gas 292 kWh (pro rated 355 kWh pcm)

With a modern combi boiler, baths the most popular and A** rated w/m, t/d and d/w.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last year I filmed some stuff on top of the Greenland Ice Cap. It was the most depressing thing I have ever seen in my life. A few months later, some absolute a hole started an argument with me about how the amount of melt was, in his view, a load of nonsense and simply made up.

With a lifelong love of mountains, I've seen the acceleration since 1970 and more particularly 1990.

I know the same old counter argument tropes, ranging from "Well, it's cold today" to "Grunt ..... well in 1963 the scientists predicted a new ice age".

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Well three per cent of British population think the Earth is flat. People hear 3% and think “that is not many” but the population of Britain is 67 million (give or take). 3% of 67 million is as near as dammit 2 million. In 2018 the population of Brighton and hove was 290k. So in addition to Brighton and hove you can add Birmingham (about a million) and Leeds (about 700k).

So equivalent of the combined population of Brighton and hove, Birmingham and Leeds think that planet Earth is flat. It is a bit worse than “only 3%” when framed like that and people wonder why we have warnings to drink more on hot days.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well three per cent of British population think the Earth is flat. People hear 3% and think “that is not many” but the population of Britain is 67 million (give or take). 3% of 67 million is as near as dammit 2 million. In 2018 the population of Brighton and hove was 290k. So in addition to Brighton and hove you can add Birmingham (about a million) and Leeds (about 700k).

So equivalent of the combined population of Brighton and hove, Birmingham and Leeds think that planet Earth is flat. It is a bit worse than “only 3%” when framed like that and people wonder why we have warnings to drink more on hot days.

If some idiot pollster asked me about the shape of the Earth I am not entirely sure which choice I would take out of contemptuously walking away saying nothing and saying something daft……

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62742303

Some proposals put forward by the boss of OVO

some good ideas, some semi-political fudges and some that would be counter-productive or to benefit his business at expense of others. he can remove standing charge for Ovo but choses not to, because doing so would move unit pricing higher which would look less competitive. likewise calling for a carbon tax doesnt help our present cost of energy problem, it makes his business (based on renewables) more competitve.

we just need the Tariff Deficit Fund sorted and we should be OK for short and medium term.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

View attachment 151404

View attachment 151405

Thanks for the reminder. I signed up with Loop some months ago - just going to go in and see how bad it really is!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Gone back to a bill... stop em taking what they like.

I've set my DD to £75 and asked them to repay a couple of hundred pounds they were holding. I will now pay them what I can afford each time they bill me (I should be able to pay it each time).

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Ovo Energy CEO talks about users get X amount of low cost units before going onto standard tariff. Sounds like a runner,but before the market became fixing a deal with your supplier wasn't this the case ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Energy crisis: UK households worst hit in western Europe, finds IMF

The energy crisis is hitting UK household budgets harder than any country in western Europe, according to analysis by the International Monetary Fund. The difference between the cost burden on poor and rich households is also far more unequal in the UK compared with other countries.

The reason is the UK’s heavy reliance on gas to heat homes and produce electricity at a time when Russia’s war in Ukraine has sent gas prices soaring. In addition, the UK has the least energy efficient homes in western Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/01/energy-crisis-uk-households-worst-hit-in-western-europe-finds-imf

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Energy crisis: UK households worst hit in western Europe, finds IMF

The energy crisis is hitting UK household budgets harder than any country in western Europe, according to analysis by the International Monetary Fund. The difference between the cost burden on poor and rich households is also far more unequal in the UK compared with other countries.

The reason is the UK’s heavy reliance on gas to heat homes and produce electricity at a time when Russia’s war in Ukraine has sent gas prices soaring. In addition, the UK has the least energy efficient homes in western Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/sep/01/energy-crisis-uk-households-worst-hit-in-western-europe-finds-imf
It's because despite being the 5th biggest economy in the world, our entire economic philosophy is to save money everywhere along a business model rather than invest and improve.

All our gas, electric and water was flogged off but none of them provide a better service now than when nationalised.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's because despite being the 5th biggest economy in the world, our entire economic philosophy is to save money everywhere along a business model rather than invest and improve.

All our gas, electric and water was flogged off but none of them provide a better service now than when nationalised.

So not the explanation given in the third paragraph of the post you are quoting then ? The one that starts ‘the reason is…’

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So not the explanation given in the third paragraph of the post you are quoting then ? The one that starts ‘the reason is…’

Very much the explanation given in the third paragraph, too many are hanging on and just getting by, insulation and trying to be fuel efficient costs money that many do not have, a nationalised electricity company could have contained price surges and offered incentives towards efficiency.. obviously a privatised electricity company prefers to just sell electricity as there is NO incentive to them to sell less.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

All our gas, electric and water was flogged off but none of them provide a better service now than when nationalised

Based on?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some good news, both UK and Netherlands gas markets seen ~30% drop in past few days. Germany looks on track to fill their storage so less pressure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here