Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At the end of the day if you use the energy you have to pay for it. Payment holidays just put inevitable of. But i dont see what all fuss is about we used to have high interested rates on mortgages and people never had it so good there you just pay on energy instead. Wear an extra jumper good advice from government. Years ago we had no light bulbs we used candles. No big deal
Those flourecent bulb are no good for you anyway.

Wearing an extra jumper isn’t going to help those who have dialysis at home, or use a breathing machine at night for sleep apnoea.
People having to decide whether to eat or pay bills.even if they can buy food, how do they cook it?
Pensioners on State Pension get approx £9K a year, and approx £4K of that is going to go on energy?

Yes a jumper will be a big help.

Businesses have no cap, so how many Care Homes will be in business after this winter? Old people need to be kept warm.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
You've lost me completely, I'm afraid. How would I know?

Remove one lamp and printed upon it will be its design voltage divide that number by the wattage = the current

Examples: 4160 Watts / 208 Volts = 20 Amps. 3600 Watts / 240 Volts = 15 Amps.Once you know the current measured in Amps from this you can calculate the Kilowatt see reference chart below

Equivalent ampere and kilowatt values at 240V volts.
Current Power Voltage
1 Amps 0.24 Kilowatts 240 Volts
2 Amps 0.48 Kilowatts 240 Volts
3 Amps 0.72 Kilowatts 240 Volts
4 Amps 0.96 Kilowatts 240 Volts
5 Amps 1.2 Kilowatts 240 Volts
6 Amps 1.44 Kilowatts 240 Volts
7 Amps 1.68 Kilowatts 240 Volts
8 Amps 1.92 Kilowatts 240 Volts
9 Amps 2.16 Kilowatts 240 Volts
10 Amps 2.4 Kilowatts 240 Volts
11 Amps 2.64 Kilowatts 240 Volts
12 Amps 2.88 Kilowatts 240 Volts
13 Amps 3.12 Kilowatts 240 Volts
14 Amps 3.36 Kilowatts 240 Volts
15 Amps 3.6 Kilowatts 240 Volts
20 Amps 4.8 Kilowatts 240 Volts
25 Amps 6 Kilowatts 240 Volts
30 Amps 7.2 Kilowatts 240 Volts
35 Amps 8.4 Kilowatts 240 Volts
40 Amps 9.6 Kilowatts 240 Volts
45 Amps 10.8 Kilowatts 240 Volts
50 Amps 12 Kilowatts 240 Volts
60 Amps 14.4 Kilowatts 240 Volts
70 Amps 16.8 Kilowatts 240 Volts
80 Amps 19.2 Kilowatts 240 Volts
90 Amps 21.6 Kilowatts 240 Volts
100 Amps 24 Kilowatts 240 Volts
First, you need to convert the number of watts into kW. To do that, you divide the number of watts by 1,000. So 100 W is 0.1 kW, 60 W is 0.06 kW, and 1500 W is 1.5 kW.

To get the number of kilowatt hours (kWh) you just multiply the number of kW by the number of hours the appliance is used for.

For example, a device rated at 1500 W that’s on for 2.5 hours:

1500 ÷ 1000 = 1.5. That’s 1.5 kW. 1.5 x 2.5 = 3.75. So, a 1500 W appliance that’s on for 2.5 hours uses 3.75 kWh.

Power is priced in kilowatt hours (KW h, or 1,000W), which is 3.6 million joules of energy. A device rated at 1,000W running for one hour will use 1KW h, while a device rated at 100W will take 10 hours to consume 1KW h.

Now armed with this check you itemised electricity invoice, your unit cost and bobs your uncle

Last edited:

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I agree care homes will collapse its already begun buts covered up. The government will give more money away and does to help the less well off and so i think you find many of examples given will he helped out.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wearing an extra jumper isn’t going to help those who have dialysis at home, or use a breathing machine at night for sleep apnoea.
People having to decide whether to eat or pay bills.even if they can buy food, how do they cook it?
Pensioners on State Pension get approx £9K a year, and approx £4K of that is going to go on energy?

Businesses have no cap, so how many Care Homes will be in business after this winter? Old people need to be kept warm.

You can legitimately add in the rise in the price of food etc ……I’m surprised the OP hasn’t mentioned we all coped in caves :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'm surprised that after that many years on NSC you take time to reply to such obvious trolling :wink:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As I've explained to you a number of times before, it's all relative. I'm of very average intelligence, but apparently appear bright to you.

I guess that's why I have to keep repeating it :lolol:

Come on, don't put yourself down.

I mean, to get headhunted once or more means you have something pretty special.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What is the point of calling it a cap when it can just be raised to protect profits?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Come on, don't put yourself down.

I mean, to get headhunted once or more means you have something pretty special.

And there you go again. What you consider to be 'pretty special' the average person would call 'employed'. It's all relative :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fairly modern 4 bed semi, 6 people.

In 2021 we used 5,600 kWh of electricity and 17,000 kWh of gas - that cost us £1,300 inc. standing charges, but under the forthcoming cap that will be £5,700/year... We are looking at ways to reduce usage!

Mrs B has just worked ours as c4,000 kWh of electricity and c18,000 kWh of gas.

Working through it tonight we're seriously contemplating taking a fix that, at forecast consumption levels, would be c£520 per month...

1. Every time we've looked at this since we left our fix in March, the offered fix deals looks so high as to have us saying "surely the variable rates can't go that high". They have, and keep going.
2. £520pm is around 100% more than our current DD, but Martin Lewis advice is to seriously consider any fix up t0 145% more than your current rate, so £520 comes well inside that.
3. It would be £520 if we consumed at the same level - we'll be doing everything possible to consume less and pay less.

But, Jesus, that number is both ridiculous and scary. But we've lost this gamble big time since passing up a fix in March, and several times since. If the January and, to a lesser extent, April cap changes are anywhere near forecast then fixing at 100% more than what we are paying now will look a great deal. And there are no exit fees, so if the world changes then we can exit and take something else.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I haven't read this whole thread and I might be a bit thick, but if we are mining our own coal and pumping our own oil and gas from the North Sea, then why are we charging ourselves the global price for these fuels?
Why doesn't the Government just say to the producers- supply the domestic market for cost (+5% ie) and make your money on exports?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mrs B has just worked ours as c4,000 kWh of electricity and c18,000 kWh of gas.

Working through it tonight we're seriously contemplating taking a fix that, at forecast consumption levels, would be c£520 per month...

1. Every time we've looked at this since we left our fix in March, the offered fix deals looks so high as to have us saying "surely the variable rates can't go that high". They have, and keep going.
2. £520pm is around 100% more than our current DD, but Martin Lewis advice is to seriously consider any fix up t0 145% more than your current rate, so £520 comes well inside that.
3. It would be £520 if we consumed at the same level - we'll be doing everything possible to consume less and pay less.

But, Jesus, that number is both ridiculous and scary. But we've lost this gamble big time since passing up a fix in March, and several times since. If the January and, to a lesser extent, April cap changes are anywhere near forecast then fixing at 100% more than what we are paying now will look a great deal. And there are no exit fees, so if the world changes then we can exit and take something else.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Similar situation to you. 4 bed 1940’s semi, but long before this crisis we’d put in as much insulation as possible including maxing out in two extensions. It was far cheaper to do that 10 and 15 years ago. There’s 4 of us including two teens who do stuff like having heating on whilst windows are open, leaving the bathroom ceiling lights and extractor fan on for hours post shower or bath. Despite a lifetime of nagging.

Gas 13,600 kWh last 12 months including the last mild winter, 15,750 kWh the year before.
Elec 3,900 kWh last 12 months, but can be up to 4,600.

With Octopus, currently paying £275 per month to build a reserve for winter, but I await their bad news about the 1st October.

Unless Martin Lewis or someone itk say grab a deal now, I’ll probably sit tight. Two other reasons for this - an end to Ukraine hostilities will literally change everything for the better almost overnight according to Ofgem and analysts. Plus Truss will shirley do something major, it’d be political suicide not to do so.

I think we can make not insignificant changes at home this autumn/winter:
- less heating. So often we claim we’re cold WFH whilst wearing T-shirts, lazily upping the CH thermostat.
- our A-rated tumble dryer (for damp weather) has become far less effective, so that’s getting serviced. Try to launder on sunny days.
- stop the business of every light under the sun being on all the time.
- stop overfilling the bath with very hot water, then letting some out to add cold.
- stop the nonsense of some windows being open, whilst the heating’s on.

Will need our teens to get the ££££ and eco message!

Every cloud and all that … people are going to be far less wasteful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unless Martin Lewis or someone itk say grab a deal now, I’ll probably sit tight. Two other reasons for this - an end to Ukraine hostilities will literally change everything for the better almost overnight according to Ofgem and analysts. Plus Truss will shirley do something major, it’d be political suicide not to do so.

His current advice is to strongly consider any deal that is 145% higher than you are paying today.

So, at your £275 per month, that suggests anything under £673 per month is worthy of consideration. For us, at £252 per month, that number was £617 per month. With the 80% increase, we would be looking at £453 per month from October and, if the forecasted c50% rise in January comes to pass, we'd then be at £680 per month.

We've committed to the "£520 per month" deal. I've put that in quotes as that is based on continuing the same usage patterns and, even though I believed we are relatively frugal with energy consumption, there's something amiss somewhere. We will reduce what we use - we have to.

I agree on the "it can all change quickly" and the deal we have bought into has no exit fees so, at any time, we can exit to the variable rate or move elsewhere.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
His current advice is to strongly consider any deal that is 145% higher than you are paying today.

So, at your £275 per month, that suggests anything under £673 per month is worthy of consideration. For us, at £252 per month, that number was £617 per month. With the 80% increase, we would be looking at £453 per month from October and, if the forecasted c50% rise in January comes to pass, we'd then be at £680 per month.

We've committed to the "£520 per month" deal. I've put that in quotes as that is based on continuing the same usage patterns and, even though I believed we are relatively frugal with energy consumption, there's something amiss somewhere. We will reduce what we use - we have to.

I agree on the "it can all change quickly" and the deal we have bought into has no exit fees so, at any time, we can exit to the variable rate or move elsewhere.

Thanks, I genuinely wasn’t aware there were some fixes with no exit penalties. I’ll have a look.

If correct, your gas consumption number does appear high. For reference, we have the CH on highish from say mid October to May, to varying extents, we’re here 24-7 except when on holidays and we like baths. We had a very efficient Worcester Bosch combi boiler put in about 5 years ago and it’s worth keeping them serviced with alkaline build up sometimes causing issues.

Expanding the finances discussion, buying the bulk of groceries from Aldi/Lidl is a huge money saver, I’ve sometimes compared the total spend over a period. Saving between £100 to £250 month!

Although we can’t harvest Tesco Clubcard/Virgin Atlantic Flying Club benefits.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Middle earners, as well as low earners, are likely to need government help to pay their energy bills this winter, Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi has warned.

The energy regulator hiked the price cap on household bills by 80% on Friday, meaning the average bill will rise to £3,549 a year from October.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Mr Zahawi said even those earning £45,000 a year may need support.

He said the Treasury was exploring "all the options" to help households.

He added that the country was in a "national economic emergency [that] could go on for 18 months, two years".

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks, I genuinely wasn’t aware there were some fixes with no exit penalties. I’ll have a look.

If correct, your gas consumption number does appear high. For reference, we have the CH on highish from say mid October to May, to varying extents, we’re here 24-7 except when on holidays and we like baths. We had a very efficient Worcester Bosch combi boiler put in about 5 years ago and it’s worth keeping them serviced with alkaline build up sometimes causing issues.

Expanding the finances discussion, buying the bulk of groceries from Aldi/Lidl is a huge money saver, I’ve sometimes compared the total spend over a period. Between £100 to £250 month!

Although we can’t harvest Tesco Clubcard/Virgin Atlantic Flying Club benefits.

I have a fixed EDF rate to June 24 with £100 exit fee for both gas and electricity. I didn’t think many companies were doing fixed rates? May have changed since the new price cap? I also thought changing suppliers and getting a fixed rate was also a nono?

Be interested to hear what companies are taking on new fixed rates, I will be very surprised if I can find a cheaper fixed rate (it’s expensive) than I have but I’ll keep looking!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Middle earners, as well as low earners, are likely to need government help to pay their energy bills this winter, Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi has warned.

The energy regulator hiked the price cap on household bills by 80% on Friday, meaning the average bill will rise to £3,549 a year from October.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Mr Zahawi said even those earning £45,000 a year or those with stables to heat may need support.

He said the Treasury was exploring "all the options" to help households.

He added that the country was in a "national economic emergency [that] could go on for 18 months, two years".

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Edited for you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here