Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The lounge lights are halogen. Each bulb is currently 42w, so that's 252w when on. I really don't understand how these numbers translate to money.

The rest of the house has LED lights inset into ceilings pretty much throughout. The box of bulbs for those suggests they are low energy, the little picture seems to suggest they draw 4.5w each and put out 50w/345 lumens. Does that sound right?

1 unit of electricity - I kilowatt - 1 hour.

4.5 watts would take 22.22 hours to burn one unit of electricity.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't buy the cheap Chinese made crap from Amazon. I did and they blew about once a fortnight - complete waste of money.

Yeap buy decent brand

Integral are excellent, had them for 6 years and the high usage ones in my kitchen only just started failing.

ROI on replacing halogens is now very fast, 52p kWh is crazy.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The lounge lights are halogen. Each bulb is currently 42w, so that's 252w when on. I really don't understand how these numbers translate to money.

The rest of the house has LED lights inset into ceilings pretty much throughout. The box of bulbs for those suggests they are low energy, the little picture seems to suggest they draw 4.5w each and put out 50w/345 lumens. Does that sound right?

Bulb Type Power Cost /day* Cost /Year Saving
Standard 40W 5.04p £18.40
Energy Saving 8W 1.01p £3.68 80.0%
Standard 60W 7.56p £27.59
Energy Saving 11W 1.39p £5.06 81.7%
Standard 75W 9.45p £34.49
Energy Saving 15W 1.89p £6.90 80.0%
Standard 100W 12.60p £45.99
Energy Saving 18W 2.27p £8.28 82.0%

Now you lounge lights are halogen 42watt each but you do not state if they are mains or transformer feed as it makes a difference use Ohms Law to calculate .

Ohm's Law is a formula used to calculate the relationship between voltage, current and resistance in an electrical circuit.

The Ohm’s Law Equation
Ohm’s principal discovery was that the amount of electric current through a metal conductor in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage impressed across it

In this algebraic expression, voltage (E) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Using algebra techniques, we can manipulate this equation into two variations, solving for I and R, respectively:

E= I x R
I = E divided by R
R = E divided by I

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Now you lounge lights are halogen 42watt each but you do not state if they are mains or transformer feed as it makes a difference use Ohms Law to calculate .

pretty sure Watt's law here? change of voltage changes the current needed, the watts remain what's stated.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can anyone imagine what would happen if this energy cap was imposed on the French public ?

People need to take to the streets, enough is enough

Caution - Noisy protest is prohibited in the UK and May lead to prosecution

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For what it's worth, I think this crisis should prompt a law that no new houses be built without solar panels.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is it worth getting a cheap tabletop induction hob to use over a gas hob?

Not when gas is 15p kWh and Elec is 52p kWh. I’d be ripping any Elec hob out.

The delta between the two has increased from 21p to 37p

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's our current direct debit amount which, like most I imagine, is set to build a balance over the summer to cover the increased energy consumption in the winter. At the current time we're about £650 in credit. I'm not unhappy about it working like that - it always seems to roughly level out or the DD gets adjusted if required.

Mrs B submits frequent readings and/or they are taken from the smart meter so our actual consumption is regularly tracked.

Our house does have a lot of lightbulbs, I guess - inherited from the previous owners. Our lounge, for example, has three wall fittings, each with two bulbs. There's no ceiling fitting. Will these be using much energy, for example? Presumably if we took one bulb out of each, lighting the lounge would use exactly half the energy it does currently.

I have £600in credit. We are in a large but relatively new house with just two of us. We are already I think conscious of energy usage. Octopus reckon I will need to pay c. £400 per month to end the next 12 month period with a zero balance. Currently paying £200 a month and a year ago £125.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Your faith in Starmer is admirable, I hope you’re right, when not being sarcy he seems to have the answers to everything and has had since the pandemic began, normally in hindsight though.

Happy to see him give it a go
You’ve fallen for the Johnson bull with that hindsight comment. Labour were calling for a windfall tax on energy companies for weeks before the Tories finally decided to do the same. And now they have a plan, may or may not be the best plan but it sure beats “wait until we sort out the latest internal fight in the Tory party” response from the lying charlatan et al.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You’ve fallen for the Johnson bull with that hindsight comment. Labour were calling for a windfall tax on energy companies for weeks before the Tories finally decided to do the same. And now they have a plan, may or may not be the best plan but it sure beats “wait until we sort out the latest internal fight in the Tory party” response from the lying charlatan et al.

I was thinking back way further to during the pandemic, he's had brilliant hindsight since he became Labour leader imo, I think being the opposition leader during a pandemic especially was a much less taxing job than leading the country through it and yes I totally accept that Johnson has royally fecked up.

Anyway I confess to not being a font of knowledge on politics so of course I could be wrong and he'll turn out to be the shining light that leads us out of this mess. I genuinely hope so.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

In fairness the plan is coming from the energy suppliers themselves. All of the politics from whichever side is bullshit. The thing is the plan of the energy companies is to have taxpayers guarantee a fund to repay taxpayers’ energy bills over an extended period ie it is borrowing. The windfall tax has been doing the rounds for years in many countries. Spain and Italy already have one. It is a great idea to take the burden away from taxpayers. Let’s hope it is followed through by the current and future Government. Talk is cheap on all sides.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Labour's plan amounts to do a bit more than already being done, and they both nicked the windfall tax off Liberals. everyone is waiting for the Tory party to sort themselves out to do a lot more. response has to be extenstive and flexible to cover the next yaer or so, and will change energy pricing for a decade.

Last edited:

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
At the end of the day if you use the energy you have to pay for it. Payment holidays just put inevitable of. But i dont see what all fuss is about we used to have high interested rates on mortgages and people never had it so good there you just pay on energy instead. Wear an extra jumper good advice from government. Years ago we had no light bulbs we used candles. No big deal
Those flourecent bulb are no good for you anyway.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
At the end of the day if you use the energy you have to pay for it. Payment holidays just put inevitable of. But i dont see what all fuss is about we used to have high interested rates on mortgages and people never had it so good there you just pay on energy instead. Wear an extra jumper good advice from government. Years ago we had no light bulbs we used candles. No big deal
Those flourecent bulb are no good for you anyway.

I prefer the Ppf parody account, it’s better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here