Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

End of the road for the seagull love review?

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
No surrender to whom?

Go on then I don't have much on tonight, I'll bite.

I think we both know it's No Surrender to the IRA and the people who sing it probably did not take kindly to the killing of innocent British people in a terrorist campaign waged by that organisation for 30 odd years in the last outbreak of violence that ended 10 years ago.

Apparently now it's over we are not allowed to sing about it anymore in case we upset a few people who write a fanzine as they may join together with other leftist fan groups and beat us up or something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apparently now it's over we are not allowed to sing about it anymore in case we upset a few people who write a fanzine as they may join together with other leftist fan groups and beat us up or something.

Bingo.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
Err, pretty much, yeah!

Why sing political songs at football?

It's not political though is it, its celebration of the current patron saint of England (and elsewhere) being English and making a statement about hating a terrorist organisation who wanted to kill us.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Exactly the same. Will never buy it on the basis of their behaviour up there.

Where they the bastards down the front who popped our blue and yellow balloons ? :annoyed:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's not political though is it, its celebration of the current patron saint of England (and elsewhere) being English and making a statement about hating a terrorist organisation who wanted to kill us.
If that isn't a political chant I don't know what is.

If people are still going on about a conflict that ended a decade ago, why not also sing about the Kaiser as well whose conflict ended almost a century ago?

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
no surrender to the Kemp Town Gays?

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
thread_direction.gif

Be interesting to hear from House Your Seagull on this one, the left-wing moonbat :laugh: :joke:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Go on then I don't have much on tonight, I'll bite.

I think we both know it's No Surrender to the IRA and the people who sing it probably did not take kindly to the killing of innocent British people in a terrorist campaign waged by that organisation for 30 odd years in the last outbreak of violence that ended 10 years ago.

Without wanting to take sides, since I generally dislike everyone (left, right and everywhere inbetween), what have these chants got to do with Brighton football club?...I don't see the connection:shrug:

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
Without wanting to take sides, since I generally dislike everyone (left, right and everywhere inbetween), what have these chants got to do with Brighton football club?...I don't see the connection:shrug:

I don't think they have any connection with the football club other than it being an English club with mostly English fans, based in Britain a country which was the enemy of the IRA.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

If people are still going on about a conflict that ended a decade ago, why not also sing about the Kaiser as well whose conflict ended almost a century ago?
I agree, Ten German Bombers is a much better song than No Surrender.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009

No not for me Cheshire it is not. Patriotic? yes, a bit silly? probably yes, catchy, for me yes, but I am English so the first lines fit ok and I had a personal reason for not much liking that lot or the people who supported them. To put it mildly.

10 years and 100 years is the clue to the answer to your question

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Top bloke's that edit and contribute to the fanzine. I get the impression that a lot of effort goes into it...and for only £1 you can't complain?

So keep up the good work!

I've always seen "No surrender" as some sort of rallying cry by a bunch of people I try to avoid mixing with at football matches.

Most football chants invoke a sense of community that I am happy to associate myself with.

It's no different from "Slade Out!" (bad song) and "Archer Out!" (good song).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And I'd not heard about the Huddersfield "incident", but if they turned round and gave a gobfull to a bunch of mugs singing "no surrender" at a football match then fair play to them, because those chants are f***ing EMBARRASSING.

I don't think it's the fact that they told them to stop singing the song, it's the way that they did it.

Obviously no one can be arsed to trawl through the original thread, but the story goes that about 5 lads sang no surrender for about 10 seconds and everyone ignored it so it fizzled out pretty quickly. The TLSR bods then took it upon themselves to have a go at them so it nearly kicked off, some other fans (who gave the account on here and posted in this thread) tried to calm it down, only to be called racists and get an earful from said TSLR bods.

I've got no problem with them or their mag, but by all accounts they kicked off at the slightest hint of a song that no one joined in with, and then behaved like dicks to the people that tried to break it up.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
And I'd not heard about the Huddersfield "incident", but if they turned round and gave a gobfull to a bunch of mugs singing "no surrender" at a football match then fair play to them, because those chants are f***ing EMBARRASSING.

Sorry mate. Very rarely return comment to someone on here, but in this instance I have no choice. The TSLR over-reaction that day (to little more than a non-incident that every other fan either ignored or peacefully derided) was quite frankly awful, rabid almost. It also came at a point when the Albion needed our total support having conceded. I have never been spoken to at a football match the way those fools spoke to me that day. Didn't ruin my day (bunch of silly students who have barely lived) but it certainly meant I would never buy their zine. Fair play for them for producing it, that sort of thing takes massive effort. But I have zero respect for them otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here