Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enciso gets the Number 10

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Decision making is going to be an issue for quite a lot of our team. Off the top of my head Enciso struggles with it but so do Minteh, Baleba and, from some of the videos from Leeds, Rutter. Bounanotte did too.

And they are, respectively, 20, 20, 20, 22 and 19 years old.

It's almost like the trade off for not signing 27 year olds is some inexperience when it comes to decision making.
This is a great point. It's why the club and RDZ were probably both right at the same time at the end of the day.

What is great however, is that in FH it looks like we've got a manager who is going to encourage them to do it again, to learn, and hopefully score a hatful of great goals in the process. I'm happy to watch exciting U23 stars make mistakes for the Albion in the Premier League (and sometimes Europe) for as long as possible. Occasionally, we'll grab one who naturally makes the right decisions almost every time as well (looking at you Joao Pedro!).

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Think, I said .... nooooo ... just as Skalak was lining up his famous volley as well.

Which does bring me nicely onto the point I want to make which is that obviously we all want Brighton to win every game and do as well as we possibly can, but actually we go to football for incredible moments which we will always remember and will talk about to our children.

I'm sure when Garry Nelson dribbled round 64 defenders and scored, there were probably better options on as the move developed. I'm sure there's some spreadsheet metric, which would tell you that when Maradona picked up the ball against us in his own half in the Azteca in 86 he was better off whacking it in behind the full back for someone to chase.

But i'm positive. This whole pervading, "when we see a player with genuine skill, we have to box him into a system, in case our stats take a nose dive" mentality, I reckon has peaked and will recede in time. I'm actually quite heartened when I see Guardiola buy and play a player like Doku. Embrace the randomness. Football can't be entirely tamed. When skillful players are empowered to take risks, it's not only good for sport as a whole, but the team performance, I believe will improve
I agree to an extent, but there has to be a balance, it's too frequent that tries for the incredible rather than the sensible right now. I don't think it's good for his own confidence either, if he is failing to do what he is trying to do so often.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Occasionally, we'll grab one who naturally makes the right decisions almost every time as well (looking at you Joao Pedro!).
He's got much better, but that was absolutely NOT always the case. In the first half of last season he was very much prone to trying really stupid 'clever' flicks, that invariably confused his team mates and lost the ball.

In one of the home Europa League games, is was particularly evident, and he had most of the stadium getting very frustrated with him for it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have not read all of thread. Potentialy an outstanding player but infuriating to watch and to play with. Just seems to have one aim and that is once he gets ball to want to get in a shot. This seems to result in having to beat 1 2 3 defenders until he he can get shot away. Unfortunetly this often results in him losing ball and results in opposition in a position to breakaway.
Of course you want him on field when we are chasing a goal but is a luxury when we are trying to hold on to a lead

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
He's got much better, but that was absolutely NOT always the case. In the first half of last season he was very much prone to trying really stupid 'clever' flicks, that invariably confused his team mates and lost the ball.

In one of the home Europa League games, is was particularly evident, and he had most of the stadium getting very frustrated with him for it.
100%. my god those flicks aaarrgggh. He was the ruiner of promising belreaks for a while and one of my most frustrating players. Fair play to him though. He became welbz-ified in his hold up play and decision making as the season progressed and moved into the real deal category and ended up shouldering hige attacking responsibility with limited options around him.

I remember reading the watford fan board when he was looking like moving to us and they were all saying 'promising and progressing but raw and still champ level, makes sily mistakes and dribbles into cul de sacs, should stay with us for longer' - well I would say considering he ironed those flaws out of his game in less than half a season with us whilst developing in almost every other aspect - his progress seems to be massive. If it carries on he'll be incredible in the next 2 seasons.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No, not like that one. I was talking about Pedro's propensity to do little attempted 1-2 flick passes in the early part of last season in the middle of the field when simple passes were on. Inevitably breaking down good attacks. Thankfully he uses them more sparingly and wisely these days.
Ah. Apols - I was trying to work out the Watford reference. I totally agree with you. He really has improved that.
And also, what a flick from Enciso!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is what I pay to watch football to see.
Me as well.

We all want Brighton to win, but people pay the very good money and take time out of their weekend and spend the brownie points with the Mrs, because they want to see excellence, they want to see skill levels they couldn't hope to achieve, they want to see something that leaves them breathless.

Julio Enciso provides those moments

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not making any particular point, but I thought that it's interesting that of his 35 apps for Brighton, he's started 15 times and for Paraguay he started 14 of his 19
apps. I suspect it's because of multiple factors (including injury, competition for places etc), but mentally I can understand a player who's integral to a good standard international team being disappointed to not get as many starts as he'd like for a mid-ranking Premier League team.

I've said it before, but since he was 16, he's been a prodigy and has seen his career go up and up and up. This may be the first time his career has plateaued, so it'll be interesting to see how he deals with it.

Overall, I think he's a stunning talent, only 20 years old, and has bags of potential. If he can get his head up occasionally and look for the right pass over the worldie shot (whilst also scoring a few of them still!), he'll be a genuine phenomenon.
He’s definitely one of those players who finds the game a bit too easy, and it can be detrimental at times. He’ll mature though, particularly as he’s put into more pressure situations where his ability to make the right decision becomes more crucial.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
did he play in attacking position against Brazil and did he continually try and get in shooting positions

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Attitude is not quite right for enciso as well. Spends more time playing for various iterations of his international team than for us and we pay his bloody wages. He needs to knuckle down.

We have no choice about releasing him for international duty. Apart from The Olympics where we could have stopped him going, but didn’t. I’m not sure how any of that means he needs to knuckle down. Clearly a player keen to play football and impress, yes he can be frustrating but players that get you off your seat sometimes can be.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
100%. my god those flicks aaarrgggh. He was the ruiner of promising belreaks for a while and one of my most frustrating players. Fair play to him though. He became welbz-ified in his hold up play and decision making as the season progressed and moved into the real deal category and ended up shouldering hige attacking responsibility with limited options around him.

I remember reading the watford fan board when he was looking like moving to us and they were all saying 'promising and progressing but raw and still champ level, makes sily mistakes and dribbles into cul de sacs, should stay with us for longer' - well I would say considering he ironed those flaws out of his game in less than half a season with us whilst developing in almost every other aspect - his progress seems to be massive. If it carries on he'll be incredible in the next 2 seasons.
It’s almost like having Welbeck in the squad has allowed him to learn summink :smile:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
It’s almost like having Welbeck in the squad has allowed him to learn summink :smile:
We can all learn something from Wellbeck. For young footballers it's positioning and hold up play. For the rest of us, it's the importance of goodvibesmanship

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I won’t forget it for a different reason, me and my son were in the Chelsea end and we had managed to keep our identity secret to that point. We both leapt to our feet, hugged and then swiftly moved to polite clapping.

I find it best just to tell the people around you 'had 20 quid on him to score'.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
More than two years at the club and he's still not playing something that resembles professional football when wearing a Brighton shirt.

But what about Danny Webb, Chris Holdroyd and even recent players like Ryan Harley? I don’t get how anyone can say that sort of thing. Enciso has been excellent since coming into the team overall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here