Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emile Smith-Rowe

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
God he'd be a brilliant signing. Yes please!
This has to be a joke? I can't believe anyone who has seen him play would think he'd be a "brilliant" signing.

Have you ever seen him play?

He's never produced a run of form in his career and seems only suited to playing as a number 10, which very few teams really do.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Having tried for Palmer and Alex Scott, he seems the next in line but rather a 3rd choice?
I think we should be back in for Alex Scott...

alex-scott-attends-the-gq-men-of-the-year-in-association-with-boss-at-the-royal-opera-house-in-london-england-uk-wednesday-15th-november-2023-bang-media-international-famous-pictures-28-holmes-road-london-nw5-3ab-united-kingdom-tel-44-0-02-7485-1005-email-picturesfamousukcom-copyright-xjamesxwarrenx-gq-men-of-the-year-125-credit-imagoalamy-live-news-2T7MBAB.jpg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This has to be a joke? I can't believe anyone who has seen him play would think he'd be a "brilliant" signing.

He's never produced a run of form in his career and seems only suited to playing as a number 10, which very few teams really do.
Have you seen him play? 😃😉
Looks dangerous on the ball, goes forward, creative…..
Injuries a big minus though for me….

Was getting in the England squad, so mst have done something right.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I'd say he had a decent enough 2021/2022 season, scoring 10 goals and making two assists in 33 league appearances. But that was then, and he's since made four assists in 15 league appearances across two injury-ravaged seasons. As much as I trust our new German doctor, it's a no from me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Dude, relax. How unnecessarily rude.

Yes, I think he's great. His close control is excellent, and I think he'd bring a new dimension.

You may well disagree, and you're perfectly entitled to.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Good luck to him, he's had a terrible time with injuries in the last couple of years and it must have been really hard for him. He's not been able to get back into a fantastic Arsenal team and they've changed their style so no longer play with a number 10. They tried to get him into the team playing as one of the central midfield 3 but it didn't really work and playing him off the wing didn't work either. If I remember rightly, Fulham played with two central midfielders and a number 10 last season - that would suit him. He needs to be playing off a striker to get the best out of him, but I think for the cost and his wages he would be a massive gamble and really against our transfer model.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good luck to him, he's had a terrible time with injuries in the last couple of years and it must have been really hard for him. He's not been able to get back into a fantastic Arsenal team and they've changed their style so no longer play with a number 10. They tried to get him into the team playing as one of the central midfield 3 but it didn't really work and playing him off the wing didn't work either. If I remember rightly, Fulham played with two central midfielders and a number 10 last season - that would suit him. He needs to be playing off a striker to get the best out of him, but I think for the cost and his wages he would be a massive gamble and really against our transfer model.
I can’t see him working in a Hürzeler midfield then. We need a central midfielder who can switch into a No.10 like Carlos Soler or KDH. I suspect that is why we are showing zero interest having had a sniff before.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Quite amused he'd prefer Fulham to Palace seeing as he grew up in Thornton Heath which is prime Palace territory.
To be fair, supporting them is more a state of mind than fixed to any location. Unless he was born to sibling parents and/or grew up in an abandoned caravan he's got no reason to support Palace.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011

He was first choice for Arsenal for quite a while regularly scoring and assisting. Then he got injured.

Assume you missed that whole period?

IMG_4058.jpeg

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Fulham have made offers for him. We play with no 10s - currently have the largely underperforming Pereira (who endeared himself to Arsenal fans last season by pouncing on a loose back pass after 2 minutes and lobbing the keeper from 40 yards, then running to the corner flag and doing a Thierry Henry goal celebration in front of the home fans) and the wondrous, but aging and criminally underplayed Tom Cairney.

One of my best mates was friendly with the Smith Rowes when they lived in Thornton Heath and pronounces ESR as 'a good lad'.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
He was first choice for Arsenal for quite a while regularly scoring and assisting. Then he got injured.

Assume you missed that whole period?

View attachment 185737
I'd be interested to see how many minutes those appearances totalled - but I don't dispute he had a spell where he was heavily involved. It's how he got their number 10 shirt. But as I said, they've since changed their style and there's no room for him. Partly because of his injury record but mostly because he hasn't performed when he's been in the team.

I think Fulham would be a good move for him, given the way they play under Silva. I've nothing against the man, I just don't rate the player.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'd be interested to see how many minutes those appearances totalled - but I don't dispute he had a spell where he was heavily involved. It's how he got their number 10 shirt. But as I said, they've since changed their style and there's no room for him. Partly because of his injury record but mostly because he hasn't performed when he's been in the team.

I think Fulham would be a good move for him, given the way they play under Silva. I've nothing against the man, I just don't rate the player.

In the 21/22 season when he scored 10 PL goals he only played just over 56% of mins but was still Arsenals 8th most used player. Scoring 10 goals when playing a fairly limited amount of mins, mainly due to the team rotating a lot of players, is a decent contribution.

However his injury record since that season would make me wonder if he’ll find that kind of form again, but he’s still quite young so there would be some hope he can turn things around.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011

You could have easily looked it up yourself but seeing as you're lazy, here are his 21/22 PL Appearances and minutes played.

1721212282223.png

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011

Unnecessary rudeness aside, this is very useful! Unimpressive lack of assists but a good run of form in front of goal. Someone will get value from him, but it won't be us for the type of money being quoted.

Nice to see you've completely changed from your original (full of "unnecessary rudeness") opinion now that you've seen the facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here