Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Elon Musk and Twitter

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I deleted twitter about 3 months ago and it’s been great for my mental health.

Not deleted due to Elon, but just the pure cancer that’s posted on there all day every day.
So so much negativity and poison, people are clearly so angry, unhappy and totally happy to talk to strangers in a vile way.

Online culture ways, total division, a real black mirror episode playing out.

Good riddance.

I’m missing the ease of access to news though, that’s about it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t enjoy using Twitter anymore, the promoted tweets are so annoying.
I can scroll past adverts quite easily, and block the trolls/bots but what annoys me is it changing from Following to For You.
Twitter’s idea of tweets For Me, are nothing like I would choose.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can scroll past adverts quite easily, and block the trolls/bots but what annoys me is it changing from Following to For You.
Twitter’s idea of tweets For Me, are nothing like I would choose.
One in five Tweets on my timeline seems to be a promoted one now, in the past I would occasionally see some but not every day.
I’ve recently seen promoted Tweets for a high powered catapult and also some sort of extendable baton.
My following - For you seems to be set for Following , I can scroll across at the top for the For you.
Twitter’s idea of Tweets for me is like yours, not the stuff I would choose.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Thanks for earlier advice, I am now registered with Mastodon. Can anyone advise the best way to 'find your tribe' ?
I posted a bit about how I built it up in post #326 - it took a bit of time, don’t expect day one on Mastodon to be immediately as busy, but by following the topics I’m interested in, I worked out who was trustworthy and built things up from there.

Edit: Also, follow the #Introduction hashtag and post a quick hello with what you’re interested in on there. Hopefully you’ll find a few likeminded people via that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Meta is launching it's Twitter competitor called Threads on Thursday.
This guy can’t wait

IMG_0409.jpeg

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Tweetdeck going subscriber only will push me into doing something else, which is a shame. No one forced Musk to buy twitter, or indeed begged him to save it. It just looks like a problem, which didn't need fixing.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm a middle aged bloke who post mostly about Football, Horse racing and cricket on Twitter. This is today's promoted tweet. WTAF

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'll sign up for Threads as soon as possible. If it fixes all the issues that Twitter now has, :wave: Elon.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Not sure I really want to delete Twitter just yet, especially when something like this comes up. :lolol:
The replies are definitely worth a look.

The thing is, that house renovation is indeed fracking terrible but there's so much slagging off everywhere it just gets boring to read the hate 🙂.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ah yes, mentioned near bottom.

UK still has GDPR rules... but they're not applied. Very reassuring! :facepalm:
I'm not in the social media game (deleted my Facebook account 10 years ago and never looked back) but will be interesting how it shakes out.

Meta already has a massive install base through Facebook/Instagram so can see a lot of celebs and companies moving over (although if EU has no presence on there maybe not).

There's also Jack Dorsey's Bluesky which is currently invite only and Mastodon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here