Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elliott Bennett song last night

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I must admit that I was a bit sceptical when I first heard the Elliott Bennett song, but agree with most of the posters on here that it sounded pretty good last night.

I heard a couple of guys standing behind me saying that they didn't like the Bennett song; I thought they were going to say it was because it was a bit gay, or something similar. But no, their reason for not liking it was because Bennet doesn't run down the wing all that much, instead he is more effective at cutting in through the middle and shooting from distance. I can't see those lyrics catching on as much though!

What about 'please score a goal for me'?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Posts like this are why I rarely visit NSC these days.
A ray of sunshine like you? What a shame.
Do people have to like it because it's new? What a load of old bollocks.
I didn't say that. I said "The key is it's making an atmosphere with a new song and that's what we so badly need." Never said you were forced to like it, just that it made a great atmosphere. Maybe moaners could try to shut up casting judgments as if they're somehow superior to everyone who does like it.
I sing and cheer at games and will join in songs I like, and refrain from ones that I don't.
Yes, it's your right to choose when to sing, but don't come on a message board and bitch that its "cringeworthy" or the other shite being spouted on this thread. Just exercise your right to not sing. But don't moan at people who are trying to make a bit of noise, it's not a piano recital, it's a terrace at a football match. The song is simple, easy to learn, repeatable, and it makes a hell of a noise. Sure, it's had one good success so it'll inevitably be done to death the next fortnight by H Block, but if it cheers up the miserable fuckers at the Withdean and makes it sound less like a library, what's not to like?
I didn't refer to it as 'gay' because I'm not 12.
Brilliant. Good for you. Point out to me where in my post I said anything, about anything being 'gay'. Go on.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I heard this for the first time last night. The singing was absolutely brilliant: powerful, in tune, not speeded up at all, and ALL IN ONE KEY. Yes, "runs down the wing for me" does sound laughably feeble (and which genius Scouse lyricist thought that one up?) but the overall impact of the singing itself (which is far more important) was total quality. I was sitting with the Brentford fans and it sounded superb.

If people can do all of those things for a secondhand Liverpool song, what on earth is so difficult about singing GOSBTS properly? Like from start to finish ALL IN THE SAME KEY? Those TWO "I started too high and now any old note will do" key changes are unnecessary, and sound absolutely terrible.

But this is our own, totally unique club song. To sing our own anthem that badly is, frankly, an insult.

As the campaigning Jack Straw says, the trick is to start off much lower, and sing slower. The actual vocal range of GOSBTS isn't very difficult at all.

The bloke who starts off the Heartbeat tune seems to have no trouble in pitching it correctly. So, why such a problem, every freakin' time, with GOSBTS?

Perhaps someone with a very loud voice plus a pair of successfully descended testicles needs to start it off in future?

Last edited:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I still think we should sing a song to the tune of 'Just can't get enough'

When I see you Brighton, I go out of my head
I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough
All the things you do to me and all the things you said
I just cant get enough
We slip and slide and we fall enough
and i just cant seem to get enough of
DADADADADADADADA

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

I just cant get enough
DADADADADADADADA

This. Come on this would sound brilliant !!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Still going round my head. 38 hours and counting.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I just cant get enough
DADADADADADADADA

YES

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I heard this for the first time last night. The singing was absolutely brilliant: powerful, in tune, not speeded up at all, and ALL IN ONE KEY. Yes, "runs down the wing for me" does sound laughably feeble (and which genius Scouse lyricist thought that one up?) but the overall impact of the singing itself (which is far more important) was total quality. I was sitting with the Brentford fans and it sounded superb.

If people can do all of those things for a secondhand Liverpool song, what on earth is so difficult about singing GOSBTS properly? Like from start to finish ALL IN THE SAME KEY? Those TWO "I started too high and now any old note will do" key changes are unnecessary, and sound absolutely terrible.

But this is our own, totally unique club song. To sing our own anthem that badly is, frankly, an insult.

As the campaigning Jack Straw says, the trick is to start off much lower, and sing slower. The actual vocal range of GOSBTS isn't very difficult at all.

The bloke who starts off the Heartbeat tune seems to have no trouble in pitching it correctly. So, why such a problem, every freakin' time, with GOSBTS?

Perhaps someone with a very loud voice plus a pair of successfully descended testicles needs to start it off in future?

It's not quite true... the Elliott Bennett/Heartbeat number ranges over just a major 5th (5 notes)... GOSBTS (with verse and chorus) ranges over one octave and a major third (10 notes).

GOSBTS needs to be sung at 90 beats per minute, and for most untrained male voices, needs to start on the D below middle C (meaning it is sung in Bb major) to be in their comfortable range.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
A ray of sunshine like you? What a shame.

I didn't say that. I said "The key is it's making an atmosphere with a new song and that's what we so badly need." Never said you were forced to like it, just that it made a great atmosphere. Maybe moaners could try to shut up casting judgments as if they're somehow superior to everyone who does like it.

Yes, it's your right to choose when to sing, but don't come on a message board and bitch that its "cringeworthy" or the other shite being spouted on this thread. Just exercise your right to not sing. But don't moan at people who are trying to make a bit of noise, it's not a piano recital, it's a terrace at a football match. The song is simple, easy to learn, repeatable, and it makes a hell of a noise. Sure, it's had one good success so it'll inevitably be done to death the next fortnight by H Block, but if it cheers up the miserable fuckers at the Withdean and makes it sound less like a library, what's not to like?

Brilliant. Good for you. Point out to me where in my post I said anything, about anything being 'gay'. Go on.

Aggressive sarcasm, like it.

We all know why Withdean's atmosphere is poor most of the time - it's irrelevant in this arguement.

The 'gay' reference refers to the amount of people in the thread who called it 'gay'.

To me it is cringeworthy, that's hardly being 'bitchy' is it? Over sensitive in the extreme.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It all seems to be a bit too engineered, next 2 of them will want megaphones to start thw whacky sings with.
Engineered how?

Some fans made it up and then tried to get it going with other fans.

How else do songs come about? (honestly, I don't know, we've barely had a new one insince the year 2000).

If people don't like it, if it's too 'cringey', then they won't sing it. Going by Tuesday night though it is catching on. People who don't like it will just have to live with it, either that or carry on whining on the internet.

What I personally find 'cringey' is going to away games where we only sing three songs, two of which are made up of only one word.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4002399 said:
We are the North Stand, the North stand, the North stand
The North stand of the Albion, the Albion, the Albion
The Al-bi-on from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex by the Sea! The Sea! The Sea!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh........

[yt]S7Inv49Ghr8[/yt]

GREAT SONG. We were singing that on the bus back to the station after the Stoke game.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
That Celtic one is f***ing amazing, I now feel the need to go to a match of theirs JUST to sing a long to that!

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Just because that Just Can't Get Enough song good at Celtic doesn't mean we should copy it. Why not pick another random song from the 80's like that and sing it? Pet Shop Boys anyone? Madonna? Like A Prayer would sound quite good....:glare:

that Dale Cavese song has been adopted as the main chant sung by Crystal Palace supporters. For that reason, i'm out!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here