Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elliott Bennett song last night

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I must admit that I was a bit sceptical when I first heard the Elliott Bennett song, but agree with most of the posters on here that it sounded pretty good last night.

I heard a couple of guys standing behind me saying that they didn't like the Bennett song; I thought they were going to say it was because it was a bit gay, or something similar. But no, their reason for not liking it was because Bennet doesn't run down the wing all that much, instead he is more effective at cutting in through the middle and shooting from distance. I can't see those lyrics catching on as much though!

I'll Get Me Coat

Feb 28, 2011
Worthing
To start some debate for new material, he is a draft stab in the dark.
Sung to Amen Corners, If Paradise is Half As Nice:
"La la la la, la la la la, la la la la la la la......etc
If Selhurst Park was half as nice as the new Amex we’ll take you to
Who needs south London when we have skies of blue
They say Gus has built a great team of stars
But I needn't sigh because they taking us far
'Cos I know it's worth every eagle on earth
Wishing they were where we are"

I'm sure it needs a few Fcuk's and K'nunts in there somewhere.............................I'll Get Me Coat !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But the casper ankergren song is just the dougie loft song. Songs for old players should be laid to rest, not just transferred.

We desperately need a song for Bridcutt. It's all so much easier on a terrace though.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Cracking atmosphere last night

Does a songs words really matter? If it gets the crowd going and is easy to sing along to then its good

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
No it sounds like Heartbeat by Buddy Holly, and rather lame, despite what the children here think.

Cheers grandad. SO nice to seen as youthful when I'm 38, thanks :thumbsup:

Portlock, it's the Buddy Holly / Heartbeat theme tune, but instead of starting with "Ben-nett", to match the metre of "Heart-beat", it's been adapted to "El-li-ot" at the beginning, and I personally think that improves the song. The "da da da da das" are sung alternately by the left and right sides of the crowd.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I'm still singing it now, and the Casper one, kind of a medley really. They both lend themselves well to continuous singing and repetition which a lot of the traditional club songs don't.

I sat at work all day singing both these songs to myself. its amazing how catchy they really are!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I heard a couple of guys standing behind me saying that they didn't like the Bennett song; I thought they were going to say it was because it was a bit gay, or something similar. But no, their reason for not liking it was because Bennet doesn't run down the wing all that much, instead he is more effective at cutting in through the middle and shooting from distance. I can't see those lyrics catching on as much though!

It's a bit like when someone tells a joke and people try and diasect it:

person 1: "why did the chicken cross the road?"

person 2: "well chickens shouldn't be crossing the road in the first place, they should be on the farm, it doesn't make sense"

I wonder what other songs they don't like to sing for being factually incorrect?

"Actually lads we're not the greatest team that the world has ever seen, that was Brazil in 1970"

"I've no idea if stevie coppell has VD, I don't work at the STI clinic and even if I did I would never breach doctor patient confidentiality"

"I've never once asked my mother what I should be"

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
It's a bit like when someone tells a joke and people try and diasect it:

person 1: "why did the chicken cross the road?"

person 2: "well chickens shouldn't be crossing the road in the first place, they should be on the farm, it doesn't make sense"

I wonder what other songs they don't like to sing for being factually incorrect?

"Actually lads we're not the greatest team that the world has ever seen, that was Brazil in 1970"

"I've no idea if stevie coppell has VD, I don't work at the STI clinic and even if I did I would never breach doctor patient confidentiality"

"I've never once asked my mother what I should be"

Billy, if you are a fish, how are you typing? that makes no sense.

Me and Russ were in the back row at MK and joined in but it never seemed to take off , likewise the song to the tune of dale cavese died a death too.

Ooooh good shout, I forgot all about that one. It got the best airing on the way home all through the London underground. We need to get that one started again.

We are the North Stand, the North stand, the North stand
The North stand of the Albion, the Albion, the Albion
The Al-bi-on from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex by the Sea! The Sea! The Sea!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh........

[yt]S7Inv49Ghr8[/yt]

Last edited:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4002399 said:
Ooooh good shout, I forgot all about that one. It got the best airing on the way home all through the London underground. We need to get that one started again.

The Al-bi-on from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex by the Sea! The Sea! The Sea!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, ooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh........

[yt]S7Inv49Ghr8[/yt]

That really caught on when I was on the bus back from Stoke. Went on the whole back, will work better once we're at Falmer so it is the north stand singing it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4002399 said:

The Al-bi-on from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex, from Sussex by the Sea! The Sea! The Sea!

I heard that at MK, thought it was quite good and should be perceviered with. If we're gonna nick other clubs songs we might as well have some foreign style ones.

There's a song that every spanish team sings that I like, never managed to find it on youtube though

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Elliott Bennett song was getting on my tits a bit after a while..... BUT fantastic effort to maintain some noise for the whole game. If people don't like that, well, bad luck. I've been watching Albion for 30 years and can't remember it happening. At the Amex, those who were moaning will probably be in other parts of the ground anyway. If we can have the North Stand making that sort of noise and everyone else joining in from time to time it will be a superb atmosphere. And we need it, we really do.

Ankergren song grew on me a lot. Calderon "king in your own country"... not quite right somehow. But if he'd just blooted one in from 30 yards, well, no-one would complain. The adaptation of the Torres one is shite though. Quite like the Uruguay one as Gus, frankly, is God.

For the Bennett song can I suggest, to mix things up and bearing in mind that Gus actually prefers Gustavo:

"Poyet, Gustavo Poyet, Just win the league for me".... And, it's Poyette.. definitely not Poyay, for "Gus Poyet my lord"!

I also think it's good if the song bears SOME relation to what's going on. For instance, everyone singing the Bennett song as Barnes trudged off is a bit crap.... would have been good to give him a bit of support at that point.

Finally, the fast "Albion" song... yes please.. not the awful dirge now. The old one is so much more atmospheric and exciting.

And finally, finally.. if we really want to get good at this, there's really no harm in taking a leaf out of Liverpool's book (we're trying to nick half their songs after all). What really makes the Anfield atmosphere special is that they don't waste time singing derogatory songs about opponents.. they just laud their own team. I'm not in any way a Liverpool fan but that is class. Some of the abusive songs full of swearing are just a bit pathetic.

Constructive criticism though... it's great that people are trying to whip up the atmosphere and I felt it showed in Gus and the players reaction at the end how the team feel about that. It's nice to have some of the old songs of course but we're still singing staples from the 70s.... jesus, Coppell was our manager more recently than he was at Palace. A new song book will take some time to get used to but THESE are the good times, no doubt about that, so fair play to for trying to get some new ones going ...

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Why do people chose not to sing a song because they dont like it? Everyone moans about the atmosphere at withdean..jist sing the friggin songs then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here