Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elliot Bennet hands in transfer request (with source)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
... and I suggest that you try to be a little less condescending. I did not say that it would derail our promotion challenge. You have to accept that given the players importance to the side in terms of the role that he plays that it is a distinct possibility though?

Would you be happy if we accepted £1.5 million for instance, and then missed out on the additional £4 million in revenue that promotion is alleged to bring? You'd certainly want to do a proper and thorough risk analysis on that before glibly accepting that taking the transfer fee now is "good business".

No malice intended but players are bought and sold all the time and Brighton are not immune to this, it is part of football and one of the challenges that managers have to face.
It will be a good test of character for Gus, I want to see how he handles it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Of course, there is a different interpretation of all this if the club are resigned to losing EB. The club could have leaked that EB handed in a transfer request in order to flush out other possible buyers and force up the cost for Norwich or create alternative offers with it being very close to the deadline. Surely not!

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Exactly, a football agent told Wyett last night. We don't know when the request was made. Players won't make that public unless they have exhausted all other avenues. This has probably been denied internally already.

wyett said the request came in last night so i presume that's what he was told

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is THE pivotel moment of the season.

Keep Bennett till the summer and I'm confident we'll get automatic. Lose him, and you take away the most consistent and potent attacking force in the team, and that WILL have consequences on our results, because we simply do not have someone who can step into his boots and do what he does. There's a reason why we arn't reliant on one player to get all the goals to keep us where we are. There's a reason why our goals are shared all around the team. Bennett is a massive part of that reason.

Money in the bank is no good to us this season, so I hope to christ we turn down his request, tell him we cannot afford to lose him at this moment, ees complicated. Tell him to give us the rest of this season and we'll sit down and talk about an improved deal in the summer. Or if he still wants to leave in the summer then we won't stand in his way. But now is not the time Elliott. Now is not the time.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This is THE pivotel moment of the season.

Keep Bennett till the summer and I'm confident we'll get automatic. Lose him, and you take away the most consistent and potent attacking force in the team, and that WILL have consequences on our results, because we simply do not have someone who can step into his boots and do what he does. There's a reason why we arn't reliant on one player to get all the goals to keep us where we are. There's a reason why our goals are shared all around the team. Bennett is a massive part of that reason.

Money in the bank is no good to us this season, so I hope to christ we turn down his request, tell him we cannot afford to lose him at this moment, ees complicated. Tell him to give us the rest of this season and we'll sit down and talk about an improved deal in the summer. Or if he still wants to leave in the summer then we won't stand in his way. But now is not the time Elliott. Now is not the time.

Absolutely spot-on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thing is, Norwich will want him NOW. Next season is probably no good to them, either they'll already be promoted in which case they'll have a massive choice of top class players they could recruit, or they'll have missed out in which case they won't have the bargaining position to entice players like EB.

But that being the case, they should expect to pay a fairly large premium for having him now, and £1.5m doesn't come close.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Get in there Tony, tell him to go hang! He was happy with his contract 2 months ago, cant blame him wanting to better himself but his timing is piss poor. He`ll be playing for us for rest of season now I think. Not going to Watford tomorrow but if I was I wouldnt boo him IF he plays, cos it doesnt do the team any favours.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Bloom Clarifies Bennett Situation

Tony Bloom today confirmed Elliott Bennett has submitted a transfer request, but says the situation remains unchanged.

The Albion chairman also says he fully expects the winger to still be with the club this time next week, after the transfer window closes at 11pm on Monday.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "Nothing has changed. We do not want to sell Elliott, we don't need to sell the player."

That is good news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here