Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Anyone on here with an EV think “yeah this is just as much fun to drive as an ICE car”?

Not, it does great mileage, it‘s the way forward, I am saving the planet just “yep, I prefer driving this to a car with an engine“
Absolutely yes, would never buy an ICE car again.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Absolutely, however I’ve gone from a 150bhp petrol Tiguan to a 350bhp I4, its rapid when needed, smooth to drive and costs me to £6.50 to “fill up” vs the £75 for a full petrol tank in the Tiguan

Amazing car
And it is worth 50% of what it cost you?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I refuse to believe that an electric car gives anywhere close to the experience of driving one of these :shrug:

1000kgs weight and lightness than an EV can only dream of
Fiat 500's are nice and everything, but I think you're overplaying it.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It’s on lease via salary sacrifice so not a concern at all

It’s cheaper to run when everything (lease fuel maintenance and insurance )is factored in vs the petrol Tiguan
I am a dickhead and the finances of buying a car will never over ride the buzz I get from driving a car that thrills me over it how fast it accelerates whilst sounding like a sewing machine in overdrive and being economical :lolol:

I bloody love certain ice cars and HATE EVs, the ugly feckers :shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm going to send your dog a postcard . . . . We have a bullet/claw proof cradle thing on the back seats and our dog goes in the alfa!

still need to nail the bastard down or he jumps over and sits in the front!

EV - I have 85+ . . . . All 1:32 scale 12v. . . .

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I'm going to send your dog a postcard . . . . We have a bullet/claw proof cradle thing on the back seats and our dog goes in the alfa!

still need to nail the bastard down or he jumps over and sits in the front!

EV - I have 85+ . . . . All 1:32 scale 12v. . . .
My dog is a bastard and wants to/does sit in the footwell beside my feet :down:

It works on a short journey but not long distance

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I don't think I will ever be able to own one as the cost is far too prohibitive. Add to that the nearest charging point is 600 yards away and there is no chance of charging at home as I don't have a driveway and live in a narrow street. I will have to wait til they cost about £5K second hand.. 20 years ?
Electric cars in 20 years won't be on the same technology as they are now. I suspect they will have found some way of recharging them that's as fast, or close to it, as it is to fill up with petrol.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
you wont need a car. the idea is that you will use autonomous Ubers or TeslaCabs, booked by the hour.
Not going to happen IMO. People like their own cars too much. The joys of taking your children on a day out and carrying all your gear with you every time you get out of the car, are overrated.

If you haven't got your own car, where do you keep the tin of sweets, the sunglasses, the binoculars, the overcoat in case it rains, the umbrella ditto, the book for traffic jams, the map because one of the passengers likes to watch where we are going? People like their own cars and are willing to pay for them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not going to happen IMO. People like their own cars too much. The joys of taking your children on a day out and carrying all your gear with you every time you get out of the car, are overrated.

If you haven't got your own car, where do you keep the tin of sweets, the sunglasses, the binoculars, the overcoat in case it rains, the umbrella ditto, the book for traffic jams, the map because one of the passengers likes to watch where we are going? People like their own cars and are willing to pay for them.
and those that can afford it will pay. cliff edge life spans will make it difficult for those on modest means, the trade off of pay as you go will be taken over convenience.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A Mulberry man-bag like everyone else? :facepalm:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I don't get this . . .you think renting is cheaper ? or were you rent/hire before and spending a shit load?
Both car are / were leased

I’m paying less per month for the I4 than I was for the Tiguan when you factor in the cost of fuel / electric to the overall monthly cost

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I don't think I will ever be able to own one as the cost is far too prohibitive. Add to that the nearest charging point is 600 yards away and there is no chance of charging at home as I don't have a driveway and live in a narrow street. I will have to wait til they cost about £5K second hand.. 20 years ?

You can get them for less than 3k now, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you could charge from home and do local trips only. It would have a range of about 50 miles.

There’s a fair few models that will start hitting that price point over the next few years though, the choice is only getting wider.

I hope so, I would rather drive electric but in the real world....

In the real world, a 4 year old, top-spec, Renault Zoe is now under £10k for a car with less than 30k miles. That's down about £2k from when I last looked 12 months ago, so expect a 6-7 year old 2020 model in a few years to be creeping into your price range. Battery life on the 4 year old is perfectly fine. So depending on the size of car you're after (worth mentioning: the Zoe is surprisingly spacious for a small hatch), something EV should be affordable via second hand for you well within 5 years. The larger vehicles won't be far behind.

Anyone on here with an EV think “yeah this is just as much fun to drive as an ICE car”?

Not, it does great mileage, it‘s the way forward, I am saving the planet just “yep, I prefer driving this to a car with an engine“

Yup, me. But then I'm the sort who if going on the roads for pleasure will leave the car on the drive ... too many wheels, you see. Even so, I do enjoy driving and as a result of my choice to go with motorcycling as my first form of transport, I'm not wedded to ICE cars. I've found the Zoe quite fun to drive - with Eco mode switched off it's got plenty of acceleration (more than enough to break traction), and it loves to be thrown around in twisty stuff.

Oh and ... at some point I intend to replace my Suzuki 1250 with electric as well. Once cost comes down a bit, and range goes up.

and those that can afford it will pay. cliff edge life spans will make it difficult for those on modest means, the trade off of pay as you go will be taken over convenience.

If by "cliff edge lifespans" you're referring to battery life collapsing ... that's no longer a thing. You're now more likely to hit a cliff with an ICE engine than an EV battery. ICE has so many more moving parts that wear and break, not to mention clutches, gearboxes, etc. We got just over 40k miles out of my wife's 2014 Ford Focus Ecoboost, and got rid because it was already starting to blow key parts in the cooling system that indicated the engine was at risk (and that being with my wife being an absolute stickler for maintenance schedules etc). The Focus is an outlier (Ford stuffed up the design), but the reality today is that EV's should have longer usable lifespans than ICE.

We're not dealing with first generation Nissan Leaf's anymore (which had crap range to start with and poor battery design etc). We're now dealing with far more advanced technology, and with some significant further leaps forward right on the horizon (solid state batteries within the next few years, for example) that will improve EV's across the board (better performance, lower weight, better range, faster charging, better lifespans, etc etc).

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm not a massive car fan or have much knowledge.
I'm on my third VW Golf 1.5 (150bhp) in a row and will probably change it for another one next summer (about a year old).

I try and keep an eye on what the media are saying about electric cars. A friend sent me a link to this guy who seems pretty knowledgable and well respected.
I think I'll stick with petrol for a little while yet.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'm not a massive car fan or have much knowledge.
I'm on my third VW Golf 1.5 (150bhp) in a row and will probably change it for another one next summer (about a year old).

I try and keep an eye on what the media are saying about electric cars. A friend sent me a link to this guy who seems pretty knowledgable and well respected.
I think I'll stick with petrol for a little while yet.

Worth doing your own research to confirm the stuff that comes from these Youtubers. Not watched this vid as yet (I will though!), but a while back my dad sent me one talking down EVs (also from a supposed previously pro-EV creator) and after watching it I did some of my own research. The vid had clearly been excessively skewed in the anti-EV direction. Whether that was for "the clicks" or other reasons, not sure, but the angle the guy was pushing wasn't backed by real world numbers. He'd "become aware" of a potential design fault (that could lead to battery fires) in a couple of models and then massively over-egged the extent of the issue in the real world (reality being it's more likely for an ICE to catch fire than either of the EV models he looked at).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I refuse to believe that an electric car gives anywhere close to the experience of driving a lightweight sportscar :shrug:
I can't help but feel it was a waste of effort to ask the question then. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here