Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't think I will ever be able to own one as the cost is far too prohibitive. Add to that the nearest charging point is 600 yards away and there is no chance of charging at home as I don't have a driveway and live in a narrow street. I will have to wait til they cost about £5K second hand.. 20 years ?
All the charging will be done by under road supplies via Bluetooth then 😬😬

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Hope so. I’d take foreign investment over none at all, though would obviously prefer it if we were taking a lead rather than playing catch up.

At least if we’ve people who understand the tech, we have a skill base to start from, my initial fear was that we remain “end users” of the technology, with no real understanding of it.
I agree. Would be nice if a BYD factory here was a joint venture somehow, feels unlikely though.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I don't think I will ever be able to own one as the cost is far too prohibitive. Add to that the nearest charging point is 600 yards away and there is no chance of charging at home as I don't have a driveway and live in a narrow street. I will have to wait til they cost about £5K second hand.. 20 years ?

You can get them for less than 3k now, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you could charge from home and do local trips only. It would have a range of about 50 miles.

There’s a fair few models that will start hitting that price point over the next few years though, the choice is only getting wider.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you wont need a car. the idea is that you will use autonomous Ubers or TeslaCabs, booked by the hour.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I took delivery my of my Renault Scenic a few weeks ago. It’s more like a computer on wheels than a car, I’m still working it out.

It’s very spacious, drives well, Apple CarPlay integration is good, and the Google car software also works well. I’ve done a few longer trips this week and, in ECO mode, it delivers better than the advertised 625km range.

Driver assist is good, makes cruising on motorways relaxing, even through stop-start sections in roadworks.
Spent a week with one a few weeks ago and was really impressed. Spacious, comfortable, very decent driving range and an uncomplicated infotainment system.

I'm not one to get hung up on design, but the rear end (from the side) reminded me of Renault's Aventime, which was also quite a funky thing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You can get them for less than 3k now, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you could charge from home and do local trips only. It would have a range of about 50 miles.

There’s a fair few models that will start hitting that price point over the next few years though, the choice is only getting wider.
I hope so, I would rather drive electric but in the real world....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It won't be that long - not with all the Chinese manufacturers that are either here - or on their way - with much cheaper models than the legacy brands. Charging will become more convenient, so you won't need a driveway, you'll just pop to a charging hub when you go out and replenish the battery while you're at work/football/shops/a restaurant, etc.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Anyone on here with an EV think “yeah this is just as much fun to drive as an ICE car”?

Not, it does great mileage, it‘s the way forward, I am saving the planet just “yep, I prefer driving this to a car with an engine“

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Anyone on here with an EV think “yeah this is just as much fun to drive as an ICE car”?

Not, it does great mileage, it‘s the way forward, I am saving the planet just “yep, I prefer driving this to a car with an engine“
Relax . . . . Most people just need a tool to do a job.

We can't all be special. 😉

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol

I drove 320km today, taking guests to Munich airport. Mainly on motorways, often in roadworks. I really don't understand how anyone can think this journey could be fun. What am I missing?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well, yes. Me tbh.

Although to be fair I’m not a big driving enthusiast as going anywhere by car these days is generally a ballache owing to the state of the roads, traffic calming measures all over the place and the sheer volume of traffic (which I fully accept includes me).

I guess it depends on your definition of ‘fun’ but I do love the instant and linear power delivery. It is genuinely insane.

I also love the silence. But you’re right - my considerations for going EV were all financial and nothing to do with driving experience or environmental factors. In fact I’d never even driven an EV until the day I took delivery and so far as the environment is concerned, I’m pretty sure my zero emissions must have been offset by the sheer amount of pigeons and squirrels I’ve run over since I’ve had it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yep. Almost every one of them that I've driven.

Including the latest one from an Italian manufacturer I drove last week that I can't talk about because it's under embargo...

HillBarnTillIDie

Jul 2, 2011
Thinking about getting one, partly to do the right thing but also partly as I can't see any end to the fuel price inflation. Who already has one, who is thinking about getting one. What are the pros and cons of those that have one. Range and availability of power plugs seems to be the big gripes, what else?
Did you ever get one??
Love to know what you think if you did.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

If you consider yourself a keener driver, the three cars to try are the BMW i4, the Porsche Taycan and the Audi E-Tron GT.

All three are supposed to be fun to drive (I can vouch for the Porsche and i4) particularly in RWD form.

I understand the emotional attachment to the smell and sounds of combustion engines. It’s what we grew up with.

However, there’s equally something enjoyable about zipping along when all you’re hearing is the tyres on the road.

MG have also just released their first electric convertible, which for some ungodly reason they’ve called the Cyberster. Haven’t driven it, but initial reviews are positive, and scissor doors and a 3.2 second 0-60 time for £60k sounds decent if you want to be the centre of attention.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Just a better drive, its like comparing vinyl with CD's. The former has appeal but is vasty inferior.

What's more ICE's are just so inefficient, the fact you need a radiator filled with water to cool the whole thing down is a bit ridiculous, not to mention loads of mantainence too and you have to keep changing the oil, WTF?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Absolutely, however I’ve gone from a 150bhp petrol Tiguan to a 350bhp I4, its rapid when needed, smooth to drive and costs me to £6.50 to “fill up” vs the £75 for a full petrol tank in the Tiguan

Amazing car

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just a better drive, its like comparing vinyl with CD's. The former has appeal but is vasty inferior.

What's more ICE's are just so inefficient, the fact you need a radiator filled with water to cool the whole thing down is a bit ridiculous, not to mention loads of mantainence too and you have to keep changing the oil, WTF?
All of that, from my perspective, is true enough.

However, the real game-changer for me is never having to go to my local BP ever again and spend 20-minutes queuing to pay for fuel behind some **** who’s decided that the Wild Bean Cafe is just the place to do his weekly grocery shop.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I refuse to believe that an electric car gives anywhere close to the experience of driving a lightweight sportscar :shrug:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here