Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Election - let's get real

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Lammy said:
bit left wing ???

Nope. Unless you buy into a vulgar marxist veiw of the world.

Most problems stem from poverty which has a lot of causes, single parents for example.

Thats not leftwing is it?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
A mass spoiling to show the politicians the extent of the distrust of politicians and general apathy amongst the general public.

None of the major parties have got the balls to have an opinion and stand by it, at least then you would know what they're going to do.

That's all I want but it's never going to happen.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
lost in london said:
A mass spoiling to show the politicians the extent of the distrust of politicians and general apathy amongst the general public.

None of the major parties have got the balls to have an opinion and stand by it, at least then you would know what they're going to do.

That's all I want but it's never going to happen.

That's what I'll be doing. So there's at least 2 of us.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Utterly pissed off with Labours spin and hype and their total disrespect for the voting public ... but im afraid to say there does not seem to be a creditable leader in the opposition who can do something about it .. still wont vote labour tho

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lib Dems were anti-war and they are honest about raising income tax by a single penny in the pound to pay for improved public services. And crucially, I don't live in Baker's constituency.

I might vote Labour but only if it was the only way to keep the Tories out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Do they announce the spoil results in the UK?

Over here they announce them and indeed the media often finds out what was written on them - someone wrote C U N T down the four Fianna Fail candidates in my local area last time, for instance...

A big spoil can often be quite effective as campaigning - 10% spoiled their votes in the referendum on the Republic of Ireland Act in 1948, for instance.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As yet 'm still undecided but I certainly won't be voting Labour !! How could I vote for a party that :

- took us into an illegal war

- failed to equip our troops for the said illegal war

- decides they can place people under house arrest at their own whim without any recourse to the legal system

- has raised tax after tax, trapped many people earning a very average wage in the high tax bracket and failed to increase stamp duty and inheritance tax allowances

- has wasted hundreds of hours and millions of pounds on outlawing fox hunting rather than tackling real problems ( and it hasn't actually prevented fox hunting anyway ! )

- refused point blank to allow a referendum on the EU constitution until they realised the backlash that was about to happen

- feeds shit to our children at school as they budget is a miserly 35p a day but is happy to launch hundreds of missiles at innocent Iraqis at the cost of £1m per missile

- calls a deranged quack to give evidence against mothers accused of killing their children but refuses to pay compensation when his evidence is proved as reliable as chocolate teapot

- moves millions of pounds from the southern taxpayers to subsidice the northern tax payers ( who are more likely to be Labour voters )

- plunders millions from the public pension fund

- forces councils to hand over their council housing stock from their own control to third parties ( Blair - that means it's no longer council housing you plum )

- decides PFI is a good idea ( otherwise known as privatisation )

- tries to push through ID cards saying it will help prevent terrorists ( we'll just ignore the Madrid bombs and the Spanish ID system then ! )

- kills a scientist who has evidence that could bring down the Government and then restiricts the investigating judges remit to ensure nothing comes to light

- allows Wales and Scotland semi-independance but still allows their MPs to vote on purely English issues

- tries to implement an extra level of government in Regional Assemblies when we need less government not more

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
For me I am keen to keep Labour in power and it is soley because it will not delay the Falmer vote any longer than if another Party came into power.

I will never vote for Lib Dems because of Baker and Bellotti. The Tories are just whimps so it leaves Labour for me.

Bring on Falmer, maybe they could host their Party Conference from one of the Hospitality Suites when the stadium is built on top of the NIMBYS

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Simster said:
Lib Dems were anti-war and they are honest about raising income tax by a single penny in the pound to pay for improved public services. And crucially, I don't live in Baker's constituency.

I might vote Labour but only if it was the only way to keep the Tories out.

That's basically my stance expect I DO live in Baker's constituency. If I vote Labour he will get back in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lammy said:
:lolol:

Ok so if we ignore the Poll Tax the torys would probably still be in power. Unfortunately it is these MASSIVE errors of judgement that gets governments kicked out!

I think that Black Wednesday counted rather more. After all, Major won an election after the implementation of the Poll Tax.

While it's true that massive errors of judgment get governments kicked out, the Tories made too many: Poll tax, ERM, the botched rail privatisation and the 'Back to Basics' campaign.

Don't forget also that there was constant sniping over Europe. Voters don't vote for parties that look deeply divided.

I do think TLO had a point. In all other areas, the Blair government is doing a decent job....

...I still won't vote for a party led by Blair though.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Westdene Seagull said:
As yet 'm still undecided but I certainly won't be voting Labour !! How could I vote for a party that :

- failed to equip our troops for the said illegal war

- decides they can place people under house arrest at their own whim without any recourse to the legal system

- has raised tax after tax, trapped many people earning a very average wage in the high tax bracket and failed to increase stamp duty and inheritance tax allowances

- has wasted hundreds of hours and millions of pounds on outlawing fox hunting rather than tackling real problems ( and it hasn't actually prevented fox hunting anyway ! )

- refused point blank to allow a referendum on the EU constitution until they realised the backlash that was about to happen

- feeds shit to our children at school as they budget is a miserly 35p a day but is happy to launch hundreds of missiles at innocent Iraqis at the cost of £1m per missile

- calls a deranged quack to give evidence against mothers accused of killing their children but refuses to pay compensation when his evidence is proved as reliable as chocolate teapot

- moves millions of pounds from the southern taxpayers to subsidice the northern tax payers ( who are more likely to be Labour voters )

- plunders millions from the public pension fund

- forces councils to hand over their council housing stock from their own control to third parties ( Blair - that means it's no longer council housing you plum )

- decides PFI is a good idea ( otherwise known as privatisation )

- tries to push through ID cards saying it will help prevent terrorists ( we'll just ignore the Madrid bombs and the Spanish ID system then ! )

- kills a scientist who has evidence that could bring down the Government and then restiricts the investigating judges remit to ensure nothing comes to light

- allows Wales and Scotland semi-independance but still allows their MPs to vote on purely English issues

- tries to implement an extra level of government in Regional Assemblies when we need less government not more

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
I had a call from my local Labour canvasser half way through the Carling Cup Final. Do these people not think, are they Stupid? The football's on woman, I don't care who's going to run the country for the next 90 minutes.
I suggested she call back some other time.:rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
It's interesting how Blair is only ever judged on one subject - Iraq and its consequences.

Yes it is interesting. It's also the single most damaging issue to the Labour Party since the party was founded IMHO. And yes it IS tragic that a large number of honest, decent, hard-working Labour MPs are going to lose their seats over Iraq, including some in Brighton & Hove. Some might say through no fault of their own. But until the Labour Party has the balls to de-couple itself from the man who dragged the country kicking and screaming into an illegal and immoral war on Iraq at the bequest of a frothing-at-the-mouth U.S. right-wing junta to secure oil supplies, then that's how it has to be. And if every Labour voter abstaining is effectively handing a vote to the Tories, then so be it. Don't blame the voter, blame the party leader. The war criminal B.Liar has to be made to listen to the electorate. If a million voters marching through the streets of London doesn't make him stop and think, then he has to be given a bloody nose through the polls - the only chance the electorate has to make a 'Not In My Name' protest count.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Westdene Seagull said:

Blimey, and I thought I hated Blair.

You got the first one right, most of your other points are nonsense though.

Still, I think the illegal war is enough for me.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Barnet Seagull said:
Spoil the paper, don't not vote.

Barring a miracle by any party I'm gonna spoil my voting paper by writing "all today's politicians are corrupt" across it.

:( :( :(

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
yeah my first vote aswell and i dont want to waste mine..
Whatever you do go to vote the day before coz there's nothing worse than premature election. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Not at all directed at anyone in here, but it does bring a smile to my face when I hear people with no intention of voting Labour going on and on about an illegal war as justifiaction for not voting for Blair.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Latest General Election odds on bhabet

Labour Party 1/10
Add Conservative Party 6/1
Add Lib Dem Party 50/1

Labour are ridiculously short odds. If you add together the people who are always going to vote Tory and the principled anti-war Labour voters who are going to abstain, then the Tories represent the value bet.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Gwylan said:
Blimey, and I thought I hated Blair.

You got the first one right, most of your other points are nonsense though.

Still, I think the illegal war is enough for me.

Depends what you mean by nonsense !

If you mean what I've put isn't true then I would suggest you read a fairly non-political aligened paper.

If you mean the points aren't important - they may not be to you and some, by themselves may seem trivial - but to me they are important and show how untruthful, spiteful and corrupt Blair really is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here