Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-Abd Tackle... Please describe?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be honest I expected a red. There was no attempt to get the ball and he caught him quite high.

I got a good view of it and most people where I sat thought the player was very lucky not to have got a severe injury. Had his studs stuck in the turf it would have been a very different story. It was a totally needless and bad tackle.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
1. It wasn't late, he just missed the ball
2. It wasn't 2 footed
3. There player wasn't even hurt

Fantastic tackle, we should aim to take out at least one player a game like that, then maybe teams wouldn't be able to come here & take the piss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fantastic tackle, we should aim to take out at least one player a game like that, then maybe teams wouldn't be able to come here & take the piss.

I think this kind of attitude is the reason why teams come to Withdean and take the piss. We are regularly being outplayed. We need to learn how to play football then we might do better.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
As someone else said, the noise of El-Abd's boot on shin pad made it sound worse than it turned out to be, but no one would have been surprised to see a red card. However, during the multi handbags session in front of the dugouts I'm certain that El-Abd's knee made contact with an MK groin. Presumably something had provoked this, but if the twat of a referee (or the Asst Twat who was better placed to see) had seen this, Mr El-Abd wouldn't have even been on the pitch to make the later assault.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I think this kind of attitude is the reason why teams come to Withdean and take the piss. We are regularly being outplayed. We need to learn how to play football then we might do better.

before we start "playing football" dont you think we ought to impose ourselves on the game , as you point out we are being regularly outplayed & we are not going to change that until we get nasty. The time for pretty football has gone, we're in a relegation battle & if we need to play with a snarl so be it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
before we start "playing football" dont you think we ought to impose ourselves on the game , as you point out we are being regularly outplayed & we are not going to change that until we get nasty. The time for pretty football has gone, we're in a relegation battle & if we need to play with a snarl so be it.

Imposing ourselves yes, but this is very very different to wreckless tackles which run the risk of a red card. El-Abd's tackle was wreckless and stupid and it doesnt win you games.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
El-Abd's tackle was wreckless and stupid .
is your opinion

I say it was mistimed & as others have said a few years ago it wouldn't have even got him booked.
Football is a mans game if you dont like the harsher side of it go crown green bowling it's far more sedate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
is your opinion

I say it was mistimed & as others have said a few years ago it wouldn't have even got him booked.
Football is a mans game if you dont like the harsher side of it go crown green bowling it's far more sedate.

I had a good view of it, I think it was wreckless.

I dont buy this mans game arguement. In fact I will go as far to say this belief is one of the main reasons why English football and it's players are so second rate. The idea that brute force will excel is precisely the reason Adams' teams are so rubbish, precisely the reason why English players are generally technically behind their european colleagues and precisely the reason England never win anything. Backs-to-the-wall, man's game, English spirit, get stuck-in.......... whatever happened to technique, guile, craft and art....or even football?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Rubbish, even the best teams in the world have at least one dirty, nasty bastard in their side & always have done.
Remember we're not talking about world class footballers here, its third division football, you'll get rash challenges, you'll get mistimed and even wreckless tackles, these aren't technically gifted players they're a mixture of journeymen & youngsters making the best of what they have.If you want technique, guile, craft and art you need to be watching the premiership, but I'd say you soon get fed up with it. Football without mistakes is shit but if thats what you want your watching the wrong team in the wrong division

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rubbish, even the best teams in the world have at least one dirty, nasty bastard in their side & always have done.
Remember we're not talking about world class footballers here, its third division football, you'll get rash challenges, you'll get mistimed and even wreckless tackles, these aren't technically gifted players they're a mixture of journeymen & youngsters making the best of what they have.If you want technique, guile, craft and art you need to be watching the premiership, but I'd say you soon get fed up with it. Football without mistakes is shit but if thats what you want your watching the wrong team in the wrong division

Sorry, yes, I now recall all those hard as nails Brazilians through the years.

"technique, guile, craft and art you need to be watching the premiership"........er, do you watch the Premiership? If it slowed down a bit there might be some time for technique, guile, craft and art . The lack of these attributes is exactly the reason why I dont watch the Premiership but choose to watch German and Spanish football. I'm not sure why you are now bringing mistakes into the discussion. I dont have a problem with mistakes. I do struggle with the headless chicken graft over guile approach. I agree we are watching 3rd tier football....but I've seen numerous 3rd tier teams over the years attempt to play football and it is much more pleasing to watch than the current power play that Adams is attempting to use. I recall Swansea walked this division last season by playing football.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
is your opinion

Exactly the way I saw it, you must sit near me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I've been thinking about this comment. Let's take some of the best teams in the world over the years, say Brasil, Germany, Spain, France, Italy. Can you name the one dirty blah blah player in these teams?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
It was right on front of where I sit and I was amazed he didn't get a red for it. Although he caught the ball on the way through it was almost by accident. To me it looked a deliberate attempt to take the other player out. The last time I saw a tackle like that it was the one on Darragh Ryan at Peterborough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It happened in front of me and my initial reaction was "ooh, he's off" shortly followed by "hang on, it looked like he caught the guy's right ankle, but he's gone down clutching his left knee..."

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I can't believe that anyone who actually saw the event saying anything other Adam heading for an early bath. Mind you, he's that dirty, he probably wouldn't have had a bath anyway.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I've been thinking about this comment. Let's take some of the best teams in the world over the years, say Brasil, Germany, Spain, France, Italy. Can you name the one dirty blah blah player in these teams?

brazil - the only side i'm strugglingwith but iseem to remember that their defence has never been averse to the odd dig or tug of the shirt

germany - kohler notorious for his " strength " & got sent off in his final game

spain -Goikoetxea - why do you think he was called the butcher of bibao? put the boot he used to do a hatchet job on maradona in a glass case + santamaria who was a hardman for spain AND uraguay

france - vierra - not a complete phsyco but more than happy to mix it with anyone who crossed him or his team mates, balde - hard enough to butt stuart pearce & live

italy benetti - epitomised the dont lose at anycost 70's Italy + matzzeratti - unpredictable but always likely to chop at someone + gentile the dirtiest nastiest slyest of them all.... excactly what we need,

Wish you'd mentioned argentina & uraguay , this thread would go for a dozen pages.

by the way dont think im comparing any of our lot with these.:lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
brazil - the only side i'm strugglingwith but iseem to remember that their defence has never been averse to the odd dig or tug of the shirt

germany - kohler notorious for his " strength " & got sent off in his final game

spain -Goikoetxea - why do you think he was called the butcher of bibao? put the boot he used to do a hatchet job on maradona in a glass case + santamaria who was a hardman for spain AND uraguay

france - vierra - not a complete phsyco but more than happy to mix it with anyone who crossed him or his team mates, balde - hard enough to butt stuart pearce & live

italy benetti - epitomised the dont lose at anycost 70's Italy + matzzeratti - unpredictable but always likely to chop at someone + gentile the dirtiest nastiest slyest of them all.... excactly what we need,

Wish you'd mentioned argentina & uraguay , this thread would go for a dozen pages.

by the way dont think im comparing any of our lot with these.:lol:

Fair enough the Spanish chap and Matzzeratti. Not really convinced the others are out and out nutters though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here