Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd, miss of the season or indeed ever?!!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We were still talking about it after Noone scored. I was almost in line and it defied belief ! In this instance, it really was harder to miss.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
yup barnes and el abd did us proud! championship quality indeed :D :p

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We were still talking about it after Noone scored. I was almost in line and it defied belief ! In this instance, it really was harder to miss.

That is just not true. It was definitely harder to drag it across the face of the goal than to score, but when he received the ball, he was not even level with the post. The easiest and most typical miss in that situation would have been putting it into the side netting. A bad miss but not easier to score than miss IMO. PS I was in C block and had a great view too. Also seen it on telly. And here is a still - dreadful, but I've seen many worse and definitely not easier to score than miss.

nonoadam.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
That is just not true. It was definitely harder to drag it across the face of the goal than to score, but when he received the ball, he was not even level with the post. The easiest and most typical miss in that situation would have been putting it into the side netting. A bad miss but not easier to score than miss IMO. PS I was in C block and had a great view too. Also seen it on telly. And here is a still - dreadful, but I've seen many worse and definitely not easier to score than miss.

View attachment 21675

The thing was though, a lot of the misses you'll see on these howler programmes are the ones in the middle of the goal where the ball bobbles and they shin it over the bar or something. With El-Abd's miss, he struck it cleanly but just completely missed the goal. That picture shows that he was under no physical pressure and just had to role it into the empty net.

His reaction was hilarious and we were still talking about it after Noone scored. Hopefully he was just saving if for a last-minute winner next week!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Ken Beamish missed an open goal from a nanometre in an important cup game once, I think against Ipswich? At the North Stand end too. We still won 2-1 but it was by far and away the worst miss ever.

More details anyone?

TNBA

TTF

I nominate Illja Sivonjic of Dinamo Zagreb

These kind of misses, where the player actually stops the ball from going in the goal, are my favourite. I remember seeing on one of those howler programmes a great effort from Francesco Baiano, later of Derby County, playing for Fiorentina. The ball has been lobbed over the 'keeper, is flying into the back of the net and Baiano slides in all of 30cm from goal to claim the strike, only to horrendously shin it over the bar. The player that took the shot was not best pleased!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There was a beauty of a miss in the Juve v Inter game last night on ESPN by Samuel Eto'o'o'o'o'o'o'o'o (complete with comedy commentating)
[yt]5DIJsaYqs8A[/yt]

I guess if the greats like El-Abd and Eto'o'o'o'o'o'o'o'o'o'o'o'o'o can miss sitters then there's hope for all of us.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
These kind of misses, where the player actually stops the ball from going in the goal, are my favourite. I remember seeing on one of those howler programmes a great effort from Francesco Baiano, later of Derby County, playing for Fiorentina. The ball has been lobbed over the 'keeper, is flying into the back of the net and Baiano slides in all of 30cm from goal to claim the strike, only to horrendously shin it over the bar. The player that took the shot was not best pleased!

Slightly different in that the "fuckwit" didn't actually miss but got the goal disallowed for offside. Must admit, this made me laugh out loud when I first saw it, made all the sweeter by Ronaldo's reaction. But what the hell did Nani really think he was doing? :laugh:

[YT]51qAKuT6ctc[/YT]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Slightly different in that the "fuckwit" didn't actually miss but got the goal disallowed for offside. Must admit, this made me laugh out loud when I first saw it, made all the sweeter by Ronaldo's reaction. But what the hell did Nani really think he was doing? :laugh:

[YT]51qAKuT6ctc[/YT]

lol! i love this because he practically cries :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here