Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd, miss of the season or indeed ever?!!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
A classic, he couldn't believe he missed could he

Jameson

Funny thing was in the first half he had two good shots on target from around the penalty box and I said "how often do you see AEA this far up the pitch..." or similar. At least he was there to attempt even if it didn't work out!

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I agree, yeah he should have scored and if he was left footed he probably would have done. I think the problem was that he needed to get a bit of curl to score from there and being right footed couldnt quite manage it. As already said, Revells miss for Orient was 10 times worse.

So he should have controlled the ball, turned, and shot with his left foot should he?!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think the problem was he's a centre back. Oh well we scored anyway from it and El Abd can keep stopping the goals as far as i'm concerned.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
So he should have controlled the ball, turned, and shot with his left foot should he?!

An experienced striker may well have done that if he had had the time. A centre back though wouldnt have I doubt. It wasn't as if he had loads of time to shuffle the ball onto his other foot either.

Like I said earlier I honestly don't think it was that bad a miss. I've seen many worse this season from Brighton and saw at least 2 worse than that yesterday (Jenas & Revell)

Do me a favour! Acute angle?! He was practically level with the near post! It was a terrible, terrible miss - fortunately for him he was an absolute monster at the back again, and remains on course for my Player of the Season vote.

Much as I have been championing the fact that Adam has been an EXCELLENT defender for The Albion - I would also have to admit that he'd be the worst striker ever for us (if he was asked to fill that position).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's going to be a long long time until this is surpassed as greatest miss ever for me.

[YT]kiVq5-u7MH0[/YT]

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Much as I have been championing the fact that Adam has been an EXCELLENT defender for The Albion - I would also have to admit that he'd be the worst striker ever for us (if he was asked to fill that position).

He started out in the youth team as a striker I beleive. Maybe the best decision he or the club ever made was moving him to the back.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Once they had congratulated Noone on his goal, a few of our players took the piss out of El-Abd on their way back for kick off by making 'glasses' signs at him.

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
Just got back to Notts from Brighton this afternoon. Great to watch the Albion yesterday, and yes Barnes air shot was a classic and watching him walk back to the halfway line with an air of dispare was humerous ( but probably not for him? )

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
My heart dropped when I read this, thought it said he would miss the rest of the season. :facepalm:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
An experienced striker may well have done that if he had had the time. A centre back though wouldnt have I doubt. It wasn't as if he had loads of time to shuffle the ball onto his other foot either.

Like I said earlier I honestly don't think it was that bad a miss. I've seen many worse this season from Brighton and saw at least 2 worse than that yesterday (Jenas & Revell)

I think you're missing the point, my comment on your original post was based on the fact that if he was left-footed, he would have scored. How is that the case? The ball clearly came to his right foot.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was no sitter, quite a tight angle.

Kevin Bremner at Fratton Park springs to mind as much much worse. Over the bar from about a yard out!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here