Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Educating the Youth of Today

What is even more annoying was a teachers reaction at my step-daughters parents evening at school. We commented to her English teacher that her spelling, grammar and punctuation were not very good, bordering on non-existent. The English teachers reply was "well we don't bother too much with that sort of thing nowadays, but your daughter has a wonderful command of Shakespeare"

Well whop-de-f***ing-do ! She understands Shakepeare but can't spell, well that will get her a good job won't it!
If that is true, then it's very worrying.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I just wish I'd done it earlier in my life.

Better late than never!! My littlun starts school in September and i just hope he gets some good teachers as they do make a difference!

Think of all the satisfaction you will get from doing it as a job!!

Oct 25, 2003
What is even more annoying was a teachers reaction at my step-daughters parents evening at school. We commented to her English teacher that her spelling, grammar and punctuation were not very good, bordering on non-existent. The English teachers reply was "well we don't bother too much with that sort of thing nowadays, but your daughter has a wonderful command of Shakespeare"

Well whop-de-f***ing-do ! She understands Shakepeare but can't spell, well that will get her a good job won't it!

sounds about right sadly

i was going to say that they would care more about her having an understanding of shakespeare, as it would help her pass exams, BUT it dawned on me that having poor spelling and grammar CAN cost you in assesment, especially if she intends on going onto higher education

VERY short sighted by that teacher in my view

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My favourite is still the story about the two chavs chatting at a railway station along the lines of..
"I'm bored, let's go nick a dog"

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I'm going to be a teacher

:thumbsup:

Thats great news. Working with kids, contrary to popular belief, is great fun and hugely rewarding. Good luck, Im sure it'll be a great decision. (You couldn't give some on here an English lesson while you're at it could you?)

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Unfortunatly, I believe that in years to come, text language will be officially part of the English Dictionary :(

To be honest though, schools these days are not doing enough to encourage children to use proper English.

When I was at secondary school (which I only left 3 years ago), we were being taught about Shakespeare and poems of which both use Old English which very little is used today, of course we should be learning about these things but too much time is being spent on these instead of learning about modern day literature.

Learning about Shakespeare and poems is not going to help many people in their careers in future life.

I still think we should be seeing more things like this, albiet minus the squirrel.

[yt]VXbrSALG684[/yt]

Crezhell

Aug 11, 2008
My dad was being sarcastic you muppets :jester:

your opinion would be valid...however i lose a lot of respect for it considering you list your favourite international teams as holland and argentina. follow your ruddy country, wots wrong with england you lunatic. that is all.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Bad grammar, spelling and punctuation are not the exclusive domain of chavs however. The young student officers I tutor are mainly fresh out of university and you would think that they would be fairly clued up. Alas the standard of english language skills are often shockingly poor. I send them off to take statements from victims, witnesses etc and often find myself wincing with embarassment when I read the statements and incident reports they submit.

Even more worrying is that I was told recently that the benchmark standard for officers wishing to join has been significantly lowered as we are struggling to recruit adequately skilled candidates. Many of those skilled and often older more experienced people who would previously have applied to join are being put off by the University based probationer training. The end result is that we now only seem to be recruiting kids aged 19-24 with no-one with any life experience.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Its not just bad grammar, spelling and punctuation though. It seems to be a lot of lifes basic skills, and things that I think should just be common knowledge.

A while back, a few girls on the bus to work were going to college in Lewes. The bus got stuck in a traffic jam outside Lewes prison, and above it, is a flag flying in the wind. So the girls had a discussion about which flag it was.

The first girl put the question to the group, which flag is it?
A second girl said it is the English flag.
Another of the girls told her she was wrong, as her dad has an England flag and it is just red and white.
So they all agreed they didnt know which flag it was as it had blue on it.

I looked up to see what the fuss was about, it was the Union Jack.
I could see other people do the same as me, and try and stop laughing out loud.

I just wanted to shout at them, "Its the FCUKING UNION JACK"

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
How much do newly-qualified teachers get PAID, roughly?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Its not just bad grammar, spelling and punctuation though. It seems to be a lot of lifes basic skills, and things that I think should just be common knowledge.

A while back, a few girls on the bus to work were going to college in Lewes. The bus got stuck in a traffic jam outside Lewes prison, and above it, is a flag flying in the wind. So the girls had a discussion about which flag it was.

The first girl put the question to the group, which flag is it?
A second girl said it is the English flag.
Another of the girls told her she was wrong, as her dad has an England flag and it is just red and white.
So they all agreed they didnt know which flag it was as it had blue on it.

I looked up to see what the fuss was about, it was the Union Jack.
I could see other people do the same as me, and try and stop laughing out loud.

I just wanted to shout at them, "Its the FCUKING UNION JACK"

Union FLAG. It's only the Union Jack if it's flown from a ship.

Union FLAG. It's only the Union Jack if it's flown from a ship.

Not according to wikipedia (or rather, not historically).
Union Flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly though, the flag institute (yes, there is such a place) says that civilian ships are not allowed to fly the Union Jack; they need to fly a version with a white border apparently.
British flags

N.B. I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong on the first point; I know wikipedia is a crap source!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here