Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Edu for England?

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Bit like the Di canio story INNIT

Edu will not come into the equation for England selection unless, or until, he becomes a British national.

The Arsenal midfielder, who is yet to be capped at senior level by his native Brazil, has not ruled out the idea of taking advantage of FIFA eligibility rules and switching his allegiance to England.

But the Football Association insist they cannot even consider Edu's case unless he is granted British citizenship.

"FIFA regulations say if you are a national of a country and have not represented another country at senior level, you may play for any other countries that you are eligible for.

"But Edu is not a British citizen, so this is a non-issue at the moment," said an FA spokesman.

The 25-year-old, who has been in outstanding form for the Gunners, would certainly give England a much-needed left-footed option in midfield.

He said: "I know it would be possible for me to play for England - and I am thinking about that.

"Like every player I would like to be involved at international football. And if Brazil don't pick me, then why not?"

FIFA rules allow players who are uncapped at senior level to "change" nationality if they are granted citizenship in a country where they have been resident for two years or more, or have a parent or grandparent who qualifies them.

Tottenham striker Frederic Kanoute - capped at under-21 level by France, but never in a senior match - now plays for Mali because his parents hail from the African country, while Leicester full-back Ben Thatcher, an England Under-21 international, has been capped by Wales because his grandmother was born there.

http://www.football365.com/news/story_105835.shtml

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Not sure i approve of all that but if the rules are there then why not take advantage, he'd be a useful addition to the squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bollocks to that idea!

I'm not even happy about Simon Jones in the England cricket team, and he got 5 wickets in the last test...

I was just going to start a topic on this. I can understand the rules being there for cases of family history, but I'm not sure I agree with being able to change just because you live somewhere for a while.

Here is the BBC's report on the same story.

Interesting that they also name Carlo Cudicini as another who could play for England.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
It doesn't seem right to me. I know in Rugby they do it, half the scots & welsh team seem to be made up of big lads from NZ. Surely pulling on a shirt for your country is something that you just can't compromise?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
We've never been that fussy before (see: Zola Budd, Alan Lamb, John Barnes, Greg Rusedski, er... Cliff Richard etc), so what's the problem now?

If they like this country enough that they want citizenship, let 'em play for us (especially if they're good).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't see anything wrong with it myself, Ireland have been doing it for years. Despite wishful thinking England cannot be represented (or managed) solely by direct descendants of St George.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The rules are too relaxed as they are. It should be yours or parents nationality, not grandparents. As for Edu or Cudicini gaining citizenship and playing for England, I would be strongly opposed. It would dilute any success that England do get if we knew that the team is packed with failed Brazilians.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
blue-shifted said:
The rules are too relaxed as they are. It should be yours or parents nationality, not grandparents. As for Edu or Cudicini gaining citizenship and playing for England, I would be strongly opposed. It would dilute any success that England do get if we knew that the team is packed with failed Brazilians.

Okay, well we'll have a street party when England win something*, and you stay at home, yeah?

* Unlikely, I know.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I concede there are some logical arguments for allowing the likes of Edu and Cudicini to play for England if they get their citizenship - but I am totally against the idea. It WOULD dilute the England team, and would smack of desperation on Englands part. I'll accept a foreign coach, but out on the field I want eleven Englishmen representing England, not a hotchpotch of foreigners who are only playing for us cos they can't get in their own countries national side.

You'd never see the likes of Italy or Brazil scratching around to draft in foreign nationals to bolster their squads. Thin end of the wedge isn't it ? We've already got the Premiership stuffed full of bloody average foreigners. I'd give up watching England altogether if that happened to the National side as well.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
blue-shifted said:

"Packed with"? Err, one player. I wouldn't want an England side containing 4,5,6 players that weren't English but 1 or 2 would be fine, especially if they improved the quality of the side.

Don't see where Edu would get in the though. He's not a natural wide player and I would have him behind Scholes, Gerrard, Beckham and Lampard for a place in the centre of the park.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i say give him a go on the left. he would just give that option that we need. true he is not a winger but he can pass it so well and has a great cross on him. give him a go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here