Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Albion legend - Lewes Meeting

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Marvellous stuff, Ed.

After all this hard work, I think they should name the stadium coach park after you.:)

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Wonderful Speech Lord B, lets hope that LDC take in some of this.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Adding my congratulations to everyone else Lord B. The description of how the meeting was handled by the Council is no surprise to anyone who works in Local Government.

We've got the bastards on the run!

Halftime Oranges

Oct 22, 2003
Rottingdean
Lord Bracknell said:
I don't do gist.

You'll get word for word:-

Thank you, Chair.

I find myself standing here this afternoon in a state of astonishment.

I’m here to present a petition to the Council, objecting in the strongest possible terms, to this Council committing any further expenditure in pursuit of a challenge to the Government’s decision to grant planning permission for the community stadium in Brighton.

This petition will, I am sure, come as no surprise to members of the Council. You have all received many letters and e-mails since the Cabinet Committee took its decision, thirteen days ago, to go to the High Court and start proceedings against the First Secretary of State.

So, members of the Council, you may not be particularly astonished.

But I am.

The first thing that astonishes me is that, with little over one week to rally support among residents of the district, we have managed to collect 5,165 signatures. From Lewes residents.

5,165. That is more people than signed the petition organised by Norman Baker and Lewes Liberal Democrats against the incinerator plans for Newhaven.

That in itself is an astounding fact.

But even more astonishing is that, if it hadn’t have been for the people of the district, this highly contentious decision of the Cabinet would not have found its way on to the Agenda of this Council meeting.

Because of the timescale set out in the Town and Country Planning Act, the question of a High Court challenge is deemed to be such an urgent matter that it has to be pushed quickly through the Cabinet Committee, meeting in secret, with no opportunity for members of the Council to ask questions in public, to canvass the views of the people they represent or even respond properly to correspondence received. Let alone debate the decision.

As I say, astonishing. And all the more so, if we believe the stories that are flying around about Councillors being instructed not to question the decision or respond direct to questions from electors.

This decision should be debated. Firstly, because of the risks that the Council is taking.

When, last year, Solihull Council considered challenging John Prescott in the High Court over a planning decision, their Cabinet decided not to do so, on the grounds that it would be irresponsible to commit the £50,000 necessary to fund the initial stages of a challenge and risk “significantly more” money in the event of losing the case. Irresponsible. And they are a Council with an annual budget of £229 million.

But, we are told, Lewes is only risking £25,000. You must know some very cheap lawyers. Or perhaps you are relying on other people to pay most of the costs? According to Falmer Parish Council’s website, the estimated costs, at this stage, are £60,000. Contributions (of £5,000 each) have apparently been promised by the South Downs Society (that’s the Downsmen) and the South Downs Joint Committee (the organisation that used to be the Conservation Board). And Falmer have offered to split the remaining £50,000 with the District Council - £25,000 each.

Today we now hear from Councillor Commin that the costs may be £65,000, with Falmer apparently promising £30,000.

But, last week, Falmer Parish Council admitted on their website that they don’t have £25,000, let alone £30,000. They have £15,000.

So what is the risk to the Council? More than members have been told, that’s for sure.

That is why the people of Lewes District are right to be angry. If this case is lost – and who believes that the Government won’t contest it vigorously? And expensively? – the costs could rise significantly. And we are genuinely fearful for our public services.

And if the Council is hanging its case on the expectation that a High Court judge will find that planning law somehow prevents any development in protected countryside, the case will be lost.

Only three weeks ago, a House of Lords Committee decided that there was no basis to allow an appeal against the decision of the High Court, confirmed by the Appeal Court, that it was perfectly legal for a planning authority to permit major development in a National Park, notwithstanding its protected status, where it was held that the development brought significant economic and regeneration benefits to a deprived local economy. Exactly the circumstances that John Prescott has found to apply in the Falmer Stadium case.

If that is this Council’s case, you will lose it.

The Cabinet Committee’s decision to commit funds to this adventure is taking a reckless risk – of unknown quantity – with Council Tax Payers’ money.

5,165 residents of Lewes District have signed this petition. Please listen to us. And please think again.

I love you :love:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Fantastic work Lord B and also a superb effort by every single person that went out collecting signatures. Heroes the lot of you.
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Sussex Express vote now 7% Yes 93% No.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ed, you are the man for the hour. I'm proud to know you.

A superb speech and straight to the point.

:clap: :clap:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
That speech is FLAWLESS, absolute QUALITY.

We are very lucky to have you on our side.

f***ing well played!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Thanks for all your hard work on this Lord B and well done on such a brilliant speech :clap2:

Voting is still on 92% no.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why is it going down?
93% to 87% in half an hour?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
If this is anything like the BBC polls, should you want to vote twice, if you clear your cookies then it might let you have another vote.

Not that I'm advocating vote rigging or anything...

Dandyman

In London village.
Lord Bracknell said:
I don't do gist.

You'll get word for word:-

Thank you, Chair.

I find myself standing here this afternoon in a state of astonishment.

I’m here to present a petition to the Council, objecting in the strongest possible terms, to this Council committing any further expenditure in pursuit of a challenge to the Government’s decision to grant planning permission for the community stadium in Brighton.

This petition will, I am sure, come as no surprise to members of the Council. You have all received many letters and e-mails since the Cabinet Committee took its decision, thirteen days ago, to go to the High Court and start proceedings against the First Secretary of State.

So, members of the Council, you may not be particularly astonished.

But I am.

The first thing that astonishes me is that, with little over one week to rally support among residents of the district, we have managed to collect 5,165 signatures. From Lewes residents.

5,165. That is more people than signed the petition organised by Norman Baker and Lewes Liberal Democrats against the incinerator plans for Newhaven.

That in itself is an astounding fact.

But even more astonishing is that, if it hadn’t have been for the people of the district, this highly contentious decision of the Cabinet would not have found its way on to the Agenda of this Council meeting.

Because of the timescale set out in the Town and Country Planning Act, the question of a High Court challenge is deemed to be such an urgent matter that it has to be pushed quickly through the Cabinet Committee, meeting in secret, with no opportunity for members of the Council to ask questions in public, to canvass the views of the people they represent or even respond properly to correspondence received. Let alone debate the decision.

As I say, astonishing. And all the more so, if we believe the stories that are flying around about Councillors being instructed not to question the decision or respond direct to questions from electors.

This decision should be debated. Firstly, because of the risks that the Council is taking.

When, last year, Solihull Council considered challenging John Prescott in the High Court over a planning decision, their Cabinet decided not to do so, on the grounds that it would be irresponsible to commit the £50,000 necessary to fund the initial stages of a challenge and risk “significantly more” money in the event of losing the case. Irresponsible. And they are a Council with an annual budget of £229 million.

But, we are told, Lewes is only risking £25,000. You must know some very cheap lawyers. Or perhaps you are relying on other people to pay most of the costs? According to Falmer Parish Council’s website, the estimated costs, at this stage, are £60,000. Contributions (of £5,000 each) have apparently been promised by the South Downs Society (that’s the Downsmen) and the South Downs Joint Committee (the organisation that used to be the Conservation Board). And Falmer have offered to split the remaining £50,000 with the District Council - £25,000 each.

Today we now hear from Councillor Commin that the costs may be £65,000, with Falmer apparently promising £30,000.

But, last week, Falmer Parish Council admitted on their website that they don’t have £25,000, let alone £30,000. They have £15,000.

So what is the risk to the Council? More than members have been told, that’s for sure.

That is why the people of Lewes District are right to be angry. If this case is lost – and who believes that the Government won’t contest it vigorously? And expensively? – the costs could rise significantly. And we are genuinely fearful for our public services.

And if the Council is hanging its case on the expectation that a High Court judge will find that planning law somehow prevents any development in protected countryside, the case will be lost.

Only three weeks ago, a House of Lords Committee decided that there was no basis to allow an appeal against the decision of the High Court, confirmed by the Appeal Court, that it was perfectly legal for a planning authority to permit major development in a National Park, notwithstanding its protected status, where it was held that the development brought significant economic and regeneration benefits to a deprived local economy. Exactly the circumstances that John Prescott has found to apply in the Falmer Stadium case.

If that is this Council’s case, you will lose it.

The Cabinet Committee’s decision to commit funds to this adventure is taking a reckless risk – of unknown quantity – with Council Tax Payers’ money.

5,165 residents of Lewes District have signed this petition. Please listen to us. And please think again.

Wonderful. Excellent work, Ed.

:clap2:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
brackers1qa.jpg
2005_1053.JPG

(Apologies Roz for doing a bit of croppery on your work without asking. All for a good cause though.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here