Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Eco protestors now vandalising works of art

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And alienating potential supporters at the same time, that's the problem. It's modern way of doing things, they've learnt it from politicians.

Like politicians, the only people they are talking to is the like minded with a clear plan to upload a video to Twitter.

It's also incredibly lazy. Chain yourself to a BP or Shell Building by all means and I'll back you up.

Throw a tin of soup over a painting ? Waste food ?

It's typical of a certain demographic I'm afraid, attempting to elevate protest to some form of performance art and very very very 6th form politics.
It takes all sorts to make a world. These people are trying to do something to raise awareness and hopefully make a small difference. I am not going to criticize their choice, at least they are trying something.

They are keeping the climate crisis in people's discussion so it is a small success for a small price (all that wasted food :lolol:).

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So . . . Your point here is that if someone owns anything then don't care about people in Africa?

Do you want to rethink this idea?

Sadio Mane recently talked about sending lots of money back to Africa to help his people. Yet he owns a phone (with a cracked screen apparently) and I am guessing some other stuff. How does he fit into your idea here?
My point, which I think was pretty simple, is that if any of us have a choice between buying something new or giving that money to help save lives, then we value the new possession more than we value the lives we could have saved. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact.

I don't want to rethink the idea in your first sentence because I never thought it in the first place. I can only apologise for being too deep for people to understand.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It takes all sorts to make a world. These people are trying to do something to raise awareness and hopefully make a small difference. I am not going to criticize their choice, at least they are trying something.

They are keeping the climate crisis in people's discussion so it is a small success for a small price (all that wasted food :lolol:).
The problem comes when the forefront of the discussion (among a sizeable number at least) amounts to "These people are antisocial and they are morons, why would I listen to what they say?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My point, which I think was pretty simple, is that if any of us have a choice between buying something new or giving that money to help save lives, then we value the new possession more than we value the lives we could have saved. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact.

I don't want to rethink the idea in your first sentence because I never thought it in the first place. I can only apologise for being too deep for people to understand.
Edited for being rude.

I think you are right but not sure what your point adds to the discussion.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The problem comes when the forefront of the discussion (among a sizeable number at least) amounts to "These people are antisocial and they are morons, why would I listen to what they say?
Not really a problem if you go further and answer that question. Which is really the point of what they are doing.

You can choose to ignore their point because you don't like the way they have made it (wasting food or 6th form politics) and many will. But these are not the people they are targeting.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So this was a protest to raise awareness. Seems to have worked.

No paintings were harmed I the making of this protest.

Jobs a good un.

I see that the outrageds of Sussex are conveniently ignoring the fact that no harm came to the paintings so they can continue to be outraged.

For the record, the one in Melbourne was carried out by two retired gentlemen so the rallying at the youth is somewhat misguided too.
I still see it as a selfish act.
I dont see why people who go to art galleries to enjoy art may not be able to enjoy the art because someone that day has decided to throw soup over it.
In the same token, if i was against religion and decided to trow soup at Mosques or over statues of Jesus being crucified and told moaners to wind their neck in because "it will wash off"...........should the moaners just shut up? After all, how can my actions be selfish or disrespectful if the soup can be cleaned off and no damage done.
To escalate it further chemicals removing spray paint graffiti are really good nowadays, you would never know after their use that spray paint had been used in the first place.
Where are you on swastikas being daubed on Jewish graves?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I still see it as a selfish act.
I dont see why people who go to art galleries to enjoy art may not be able to enjoy the art because someone that day has decided to throw soup over it.
In the same token, if i was against religion and decided to trow soup at Mosques or over statues of Jesus being crucified and told moaners to wind their neck in because "it will wash off"...........should the moaners just shut up? After all, how can my actions be selfish or disrespectful if the soup can be cleaned off and no damage done.
To escalate it further chemicals removing spray paint graffiti are really good nowadays, you would never know after their use that spray paint had been used in the first place.
Where are you on swastikas being daubed on Jewish graves?
Where am I with swastikas on Jewish graves???

That is quite a leap pasta. I think your logic train has derailed somewhat.

I think you are conflating vandalism and protest. I'll say this is someone was prepared to do any of those things and stick around to explain their reasons then all power to them (we know that in these cases it is highly unlikely though right?).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Where am I with swastikas on Jewish graves???

That is quite a leap pasta. I think your logic train has derailed somewhat.

I think you are conflating vandalism and protest. I'll say this is someone was prepared to do any of those things and stick around to explain their reasons then all power to them (we know that in these cases it is highly unlikely though right?).
Its a ridiculous leap.........however, the graffiti will wash off so no damage done, right?
Any relatives will only have been mildly inconvenienced whilst the cemetary was closed for cleaning.

Is luzzing paint, whether through using a can or a bucket, vandalism or protest? It will wash off, so no damage done right?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It has achieved what it set out to do.

The idea that hearts and minds can be changed depending on the types of protest, is ridiculous.
Outrage your natural enemies and get them to share your message, is far more useful tactic, than watching your echo chamber like your instagram posts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It has achieved what it set out to do.

The idea that hearts and minds can be changed depending on the types of protest, is ridiculous.
Outrage your natural enemies and get them to share your message, is far more useful tactic, than watching your echo chamber like your instagram posts.
have they? no one is talking about the issue, only about how they disagree with the method of protests.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Apparently, we have missed the point, because no painting was actually damaged, and it was all a publicity stunt on behalf of <look it up and fill in later>. Something to do with saving the planet. I for one certainly feel safer this evening.

(Look, apologies to one or two posters for whom I normally have huge amounts of time for not getting foursquare behind this, but even members of the green party must admit that this sort of thing is hardly likely to sway the opinion of the likes of Truss. Or indeed the likely next prime minister. Or the one after. The sort of bod who is impressed is likely to be favourite for the PM job only after the country has been reduced to smoking rubble and we are living off worms and leaves.)
Nothing is persuading the powers at be to take action on the climate crisis. That’s their point. Little media or political will to make changes. If there were there would be no need for publicity seeking actions. If one believes in the science we are screwed. Change needs to happen. It’s not, so what to do?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
have they? no one is talking about the issue, only about how they disagree with the method of protests.
Only because you are only registering the responses from your own echo chamber and choosing to ignore any other responses.
My immediate response was "what's this about then?"

I Paid attention to it.

The point of these protests is the reach they get online. It's clickbait and it works.
Even if 80% of responses are negative and 19% are people who already agree with the argument, the 1% converted to the cause is worth having.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Only because you are only registering the responses from your own echo chamber and choosing to ignore any other responses.
My immediate response was "what's this about then?"

I Paid attention to it.

The point of these protests is the reach they get online. It's clickbait and it works.
Even if 80% of responses are negative and 19% are people who already agree with the argument, the 1% converted to the cause is worth having.
i based my view on the tweets responding to theirs proudly publicising their action. no explaination given (of the cause), and no one defending their cause (including many vegans against it). "calling on the government to give us a livable future" what does that mean, or have to do with milk?
just a publicity stunt by people not yet equiped to follow up with an actual message.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
And alienating potential supporters at the same time, that's the problem. It's modern way of doing things, they've learnt it from politicians.

Like politicians, the only people they are talking to is the like minded with a clear plan to upload a video to Twitter.

It's also incredibly lazy. Chain yourself to a BP or Shell Building by all means and I'll back you up.

Throw a tin of soup over a painting ? Waste food ?

It's typical of a certain demographic I'm afraid, attempting to elevate protest to some form of performance art and very very very 6th form politics.
Disagree.
Make the same old tired protests and get very little attention from anyone
Trigger the Gammons and watch it spread like wildfire.

They are after exposure, the fact it's being shared by like-minded and enemies alike is the whole point of the protest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given our troubles and some of our fans actions some hilarious double standards in this thread

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
The irony is they went out and bought a tin of mass-produced soup, without realising that factory production and distribution of food has more impact on the environment than a painting which has just sat there for the last 100 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nothing is persuading the powers at be to take action on the climate crisis. That’s their point. Little media or political will to make changes. If there were there would be no need for publicity seeking actions. If one believes in the science we are screwed. Change needs to happen. It’s not, so what to do?
Vote* Green/Lib Dem?

If they can muster a range of credible policies then, there you go.

Direct action does have traction but only when most of the public back the protests. Presently the protesters are alienating the public.

*or Labour, perhaps.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
These people are a godsend to the anti climate change lobby, who can point the finger at the ‘ idiots who want action against climate change.
I support the cause but criminal damage is no way to achieve the right end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here