Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Eco protestors now vandalising works of art

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
They should have left them bonded to the wall all night because the emergency services were having to walk with all their equipment to save oil.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Okay Harry. :wave:
Apologies for being pissy.

Just chatting to Mrs T about this (a lady of the left). Her view is that it is pointless, virtue-signaling to the converted. Change requires engaging people who have a different view. I know the OP, and several other posters on this thread, and if they think this is a fail then it is a fail.

I would like an end to the use of fossil fuels, and fracking, but being shouted at by mad people (for driving my car to the football recently) isn't going to help. In my opinion.

:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apologies for being pissy.

Just chatting to Mrs T about this (a lady of the left). Her view is that it is pointless, virtue-signaling to the converted. Change requires engaging people who have a different view. I know the OP, and several other posters on this thread, and if they think this is a fail then it is a fail.

I would like an end to the use of fossil fuels, and fracking, but being shouted at by mad people (for driving my car to the football recently) isn't going to help. In my opinion.

:thumbsup:
I'm not supporting their protest per se, but I refuse to condemn young people for the desperation they feel for a world they have little say, control or stake in.

I was studying climate change, CO2 emissions etc. at Uni at the start of the 90s. 30 years later and we're still talking about engaging people with a different view. 20 year old me would have no sense we wouldn't be fully wind / solar / tidal power by now. Not still talking about it. No wonder they feel desperate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They need to pi
Apparently, we have missed the point, because no painting was actually damaged, and it was all a publicity stunt on behalf of <look it up and fill in later>. Something to do with saving the planet. I for one certainly feel safer this evening.

(Look, apologies to one or two posters for whom I normally have huge amounts of time for not getting foursquare behind this, but even members of the green party must admit that this sort of thing is hardly likely to sway the opinion of the likes of Truss. Or indeed the likely next prime minister. Or the one after. The sort of bod who is impressed is likely to be favourite for the PM job only after the country has been reduced to smoking rubble and we are living off worms and leaves.)
It’s a personal thing of mine that I just don’t like vandalism (even if temporary just to the frame here), chucking drinks over politicians you disagree with or eg throwing eggs at John Prescott.

These people seemingly have time to be (legally) creative, to win new hearts and minds. All publicity isn’t good publicity.

All that’s been achieved here is getting nods from the niche converted and further alienating anyone else who happens to come across the story.

I’m a huge fan of the gently persuasive such as Porritt, Attenborough, but also those who take direct action to block environmental vandalism and bloodsports.

This seems rubbish messaging.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We had some geriatric protesters at the junction of the A2 and the A251 recently. I was stuck in traffic trying to turn right. One old bag shouted at me through my open window "Do you care about the future of the planet, sir?". I still haven't thought of an appropriate reply
Try "No".

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's back on display. Bit of windolene job done. They intentionally picked a piece of art that wouldn't be damaged by soup. Symbolism and all that doesn't always need to be literal.
Minimum damage, maximum publicity, they got what they wanted

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Brilliant protest, it shows me that most people are more interested in an old oil stained rag than the planet they live on. Further, that objects have more value than people. Maybe some older posters don't get that younger people might think and act differently. It's part of a process called progress.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Brilliant protest, it shows me that most people are more interested in an old oil stained rag than the planet they live on. Further, that objects have more value than people. Maybe some older posters don't get that younger people might think and act differently. It's part of a process called progress.

And the vast majority of young people would disagree with you.

Destroying art is something despotic governments, dictators and terrorists do. Doing so simply aligns them with them.

Thinking differently doesn't mean making a false equivalence between a painting and climate change, on that basis you may as well punch an OAP in the face to save the planet.

It isn't progress, smashing "innocent" things up because you haven't got the vocabulary to make your point isn't a new idea is it ?

They are going to really really regret it when they grow up. It's also really lazy, they are targeting galleries because it's easy.

I support 99% of protests particularly in the capital but there is a new breed of internet fuelled single issue idiots.

I saw climate change protestors blocking traffic on Westminster Bridge this year for hours banging their usual drums. Seemingly didn't occur to them they were blocking ambulances into St. Thomas's and keeping hundreds of very ill patients inside awake. I spoke to some of them politely and they completely oblivious to the fact that the large building they were standing outside was a major London hospital.

That's not thinking differently, that's not thinking at all. You can be a moron at any age.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And the vast majority of young people would disagree with you.

Thinking differently doesn't mean making a false equivalence between a painting and climate change, on that basis you may as well punch an OAP in the face to save the planet.

It isn't progress, smashing "innocent" things up because you haven't got the vocabulary to make your point isn't a new idea is it ?

They are going to really really regret it when they grow up.
My thoughts exactly.

In a household with teenagers who, with their mates, care about the planet, admire Thunberg, went on marches …. none want things vandalised for the cause.

Keep the arts world on side, the more influential allies the better.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Utterly pointless, privileged middle-class posh idiots backed by rich sponsors much like those shills Extinction Rebellion.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Even if they had they managed to damage the painting, what do they think they would have achieved?

Surely the soapy twats could think of better ways to push their cause.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just like the protesters, you're being obtuse.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
What these morons don't understand is the higher the cost of energy - the higher the cost of fertilizers; so farmers either have to increase the price of food they sell to the market or the the less they sell. Either way it means the cost of food increases. Throwing cans of soup at paintings just means there is less available to buy.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Virtually all young people, and older people too, value objects more than people. So you own any objects? Or have you sold them all to save lives in Africa? If you own any unnecessary object, eg. a mobile phone, that costs you money that you could be sending to Africa to save lives - then you value that object more than you value the lives of people in Africa.

It takes a very special sort of person to impoverish themselves to save lives, and very few of us - old or young - are that special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here