Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebay

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I'd love to move away from receiving/sending payment in paypal. The fees cut out much of the (poor) margin we make. But as Ebay own Paypal the less ebay charge for listing, the more paypal seem to take.

We love cash on collection, but it isn't always possible. We then write a receipt for our books, but as I say, not everyone is local.

One thing that grates me is these bloody PayPal fees. If I could remove that I would at least make another 35-60p profit on each item I sell. Would it be too much hassle for the customer to do a bank transfer online?

Failing that I don't know how much it is for your own POS machine and whether or not it works out more expensive once you factor in time to process these orders.

PayPal has everyone by the balls. I don't care about the 3.4% percent, the part that pisses me off is +20p rubbish. The +20p must be there profit. Multiply that by 1 million orders a day. Nice business if you can get it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Horse clippers
Daihatsu Fourtrak
Plastic racing bridle

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
As I mentioned in the above post. Braun toothbrush heads...£3.50 for 4. Although they are in what appear to be Braun packaging and are less than half price, I think they are knock offs, they don't fit quite as well and the brush bit actually fell of one of them.
The Xenon headlight bulbs were bought in an attempt to make the old Citroen Xsara a bit less dim at night, I wouldn't have thought it possible to make the lights less affective but it is. Still for £6.80 what can you expect.:facepalm:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
One thing that grates me is these bloody PayPal fees. If I could remove that I would at least make another 35-60p profit on each item I sell. Would it be too much hassle for the customer to do a bank transfer online?

Failing that I don't know how much it is for your own POS machine and whether or not it works out more expensive once you factor in time to process these orders.

PayPal has everyone by the balls. I don't care about the 3.4% percent, the part that pisses me off is +20p rubbish. The +20p must be there profit. Multiply that by 1 million orders a day. Nice business if you can get it.

its called a monopoly

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I just make sure that what I am selling covers these fees, you generally know roughly what something will sell for, so you cover the "costs" in the starting price, then it doesn't matter what it sells for. If it goes ballistic, then so what, you're getting far more than you were expecting anyway.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
2 x laptop a/c adaptors
10 x training bibs
Luke Wright Sussex CCC training shirt

I've got about 150 eBay positive feedbacks now. I agree a lot with what Tebebear says. Ebay has slipped into car-boot territory in the last few years and PayPal, whilst great for buyers, is a bit expensive for sellers. However, PayPal is great for transferiing money for other purchases outside of eBay. I bought an old BHA programme from someone on NSC and simply transferred the money into his PayPal a/c. :thumbsup:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Schluter Ditra Mat
Makita Trim saw blades
Motorcycle instrument bulbs

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
As I mentioned in the above post. Braun toothbrush heads...£3.50 for 4. Although they are in what appear to be Braun packaging and are less than half price, I think they are knock offs, they don't fit quite as well and the brush bit actually fell of one of them.
The Xenon headlight bulbs were bought in an attempt to make the old Citroen Xsara a bit less dim at night, I wouldn't have thought it possible to make the lights less affective but it is. Still for £6.80 what can you expect.:facepalm:

Every chance they are copies. There's plenty of 'copy' Colgate toothbrushes & toothpaste plus other assorted toiletries knocking about in less scrupulous wholesalers in the Shoreditch/Brick Lane area. Same thing with the lithium batteries you see on eBay. They're not the genuine article.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree a lot with what Tebebear says. Ebay has slipped into car-boot territory in the last few years

The complete opposite is true. eBay now sell far, far more brand new and fixed price goods than they ever have done, and it's increasing all the time. This is intentional on eBay's part.

I guess what you describe could be a side effect of that, in that eBay are now far more focused on corporates using eBay for end of line and discontinued sell-offs and are neglecting the small trader and those just looking to 'get rid of stuff' now and again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here