Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easter - I dont get it

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
Anway, I told you to shut it because YOU have no right to say anything about organised religion.

Timco=Dimco

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
timco said:
Why should I?, Harry H if that's your real name.

Juan, name a festival (major one that is celebrated by the vast majority not just a minority of religious zealots, cos there is one form of Christian festival in most weeks with that number its surprising they have not had more hits!) that is not an existing celebration that the Christian religeon did not leach on to get acceptance.

Well, let's start with Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Ascension Day, etc etc.

I fail to see what you actually think is the significance of the fact that some Chrisitian festivals were placed on the same day as pagan ones. I would have thought that would have made it harder for the common folk to accept them - unless they really believed, of course. Surely any pagans would have said "Stuff Christmas, I'm celebrating Saturnalia..."

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Easter keeps moving about all over the place,still a long weekend and this year off to Blackpool so cheers Jesus :drink: :drink: :drink: .
Shame he couldn't have died and risen a few times a year then we could have had more time off,around October would have been good.Shame he didn't have two birthdays like the Queen then we could have had more days off.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
oapdodge said:
Easter keeps moving about all over the place,still a long weekend and this year off to Blackpool so cheers Jesus :drink: :drink: :drink: .
Shame he couldn't have died and risen a few times a year then we could have had more time off,around October would have been good.Shame he didn't have two birthdays like the Queen then we could have had more days off.

:D:D:D:D:D

Juan Albion

oapdodge said:

Two birthdays? Your wish might just be granted in the not-too-distant future!

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Great can you have a chat with him and let us know when so I can book a holiday that weekend,presume it will be a Monday like all the other day offs ? Try not to bugger up the play offs just in case we need them this season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's always a small minority who have to spoil a perfectly decent long-overdue double Bank holiday of chocolate eggs and funny bunnies and staying in bed and double football by bringing religion into it ???

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Juan Albion said:
Well, let's start with Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Ascension Day, etc etc.

I fail to see what you actually think is the significance of the fact that some Chrisitian festivals were placed on the same day as pagan ones. I would have thought that would have made it harder for the common folk to accept them - unless they really believed, of course. Surely any pagans would have said "Stuff Christmas, I'm celebrating Saturnalia..."

You will have to give me some dates Juan I ain't got a clue when they are (as would I suspect any other self respecting non believer). I'll then do some research and get back to you.

I notice you're not defending Easter as being a nicked pagan festival (sorry the pagans prefer hijacked), nor could you defend the festival at the end of December as not being hijacked.

These are the 2 major festivals that give the religion of Christ its major publicity.

The power of marketing works, but just in case if they dare not believe the same rubbish as us, we will torture them, failing that we will hang them, then if they still don't come round to our way of thinking we will put them in the middle of a lot of dry wood and set fire to them. This will cleanse their impure thoughts so they can go into oblivion with a clear conscience.

Juan Albion

timco said:
You will have to give me some dates Juan I ain't got a clue when they are (as would I suspect any other self respecting non believer). I'll then do some research and get back to you.

I notice you're not defending Easter as being a nicked pagan festival (sorry the pagans prefer hijacked), nor could you defend the festival at the end of December as not being hijacked.

These are the 2 major festivals that give the religion of Christ its major publicity.

The power of marketing works, but just in case if they dare not believe the same rubbish as us, we will torture them, failing that we will hang them, then if they still don't come round to our way of thinking we will put them in the middle of a lot of dry wood and set fire to them. This will cleanse their impure thoughts so they can go into oblivion with a clear conscience.

Sadly you do talk crap, Timco. Can't you even read the bit that says Easter Sunday?

And answer my point - How can Christmas have hijacked anything if it wasn't actually accepted by the people over any existing festival. And for your information, Christmas was, and still is, celebrated on several days other than December 25th. Perhaps you would prefer to be an Orthodox fellah.

The fact that you don't know when any of the other days are illustrates rather well that you don't have a clue what you are talking about and are simply spouting some secondhand story you probably found in the Sun.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I don't read the sun Juan I'll leave that too you.

I don't believe in anything and that is what those that do believe in something, anything so long as I don't have to leave the playpen (See this to understand that comment and don't nick my teddy!) find threatening.

I actually don't care one way or the other what anyone else believes. You see unlike theose who do believe, what I believe does not fall apart if I am the only one that thinks that way.

But please don't come the "we won the argument or the other festivals would have survived". In the past if I (had I been alive in those times) did not fall in with the Christian thugs I would have been burned, or I would have had a whacking great H in the middle of me head. This is why the Christian religion is as accepted in this country. That and the fact that paganism was banned as devil worship.

Its a bit rich for a "Christian" to come out with a jibe on second hand information they read.

I might write crap but at least its my crap not some crap someone else wrote for me.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Going to a Church =

Going to a venue on certain days of then week, at certain times,
Worshipping a leader,
Chanting random homages,
Standing Up and singing about someone,
Sipping wine,
Eating bread,
Meeting new people, making new freinds,
Giving money to charities,

......???hang on does that sound familiar???

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Will some nasty men sell the church and make us all go halfway across the country every Sunday to pray?

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Beats arguing about football :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
Has the religion thing got anything to do with Celtic and Rangers not getting on ?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Are they allowed to play the organ at times other than before the service or will it disturb the neighbours?

Did Krispies write the hymn book?

Will people come round and tell them to sit down if they sing?

How come the Sportsman don't sell bread with their wine?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
harry_h said:
Anway, I told you to shut it because YOU have no right to say anything about organised religion.

Timco=Dimco

Hang on a minute. I think we all have a right to say what we like about any subject we fancy.

If organised religion cannot stand a little criticism then it cannot be too sure of itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here