Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easter - I dont get it

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
OK forgive me for my ignorance but theres just something about easter that i just dont understand.

easter = jesus dies and rises from the dead - yes or no???

so from this, where the feck do we get
a) a big fluffy bunny
b) chocolate eggs
c) the urge to pay 10 times more for chocolate than you would at any other time of the year

however it started , it means we get a 4 day weekend so i cant complain

please enlighten me on this

thank you please

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Easter means that? I always though it meant was time for the:

RED LION BEER FESITVAL

Shoreham-By-Sea, 9th - 12th April

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Last edited:

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
As a Catholic I think it's mad that Easter is celebrated in this way. Christmas is just as commercialsed. If you travel to Italy, France, Spain or Ireland during Holy week it is kept holy.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
harry_h said:
As a Catholic I think it's mad that Easter is celebrated in this way. Christmas is just as commercialsed. If you travel to Italy, France, Spain or Ireland during Holy week it is kept holy.

Check out the parades in Spain!:ohmy:

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
We have chocolate eggs because a egg symbolises new life like Jesus rising form the dead.....

...And chocolate companies can make a few million quid :nono:

bobbyzee

Feb 17, 2004
Division 1
i understand the hot cross bun thing...but the rest beats me..
i'm atheist anyhow...!:clap2:

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
The Spanish parades are have a meaning. They don't make money out of it and its there way of celebrating Jesus's resurection

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Someone locked Jesus in a big choclate egg and he escaped by eating his way out.

He got Willy Wonker's pet bunny to mend the hole and all the people wondered where had disappeared to so thought they would celebrate this magic for several years to come by having an extended weekend.

So basically Jesus was a lazy bugger who wanted some extra days off work so pulled a crazy stunt to get extra holdiay?

:jester:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easter represents the end of Lent, when the fasting period for Christians ends. Therefore they are allowed to indulge in luxuries, such as eggs and chocolate, just as they do on Shrove Tuesday, except instead of chocolate pancakes we now have Easter Eggs. The Rabbit used to symbolise the oncoming of Spring, but is now of course linked to a clitoral stimulator

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
fatboy said:
Someone locked Jesus in a big choclate egg and he escaped by eating his way out.

He got Willy Wonker's pet bunny to mend the hole and all the people wondered where had disappeared to so thought they would celebrate this magic for several years to come by having an extended weekend.

So basically Jesus was a lazy bugger who wanted some extra days off work so pulled a crazy stunt to get extra holdiay?

:jester:
...see thats what i thought it was , my fave bit in church was when the bunny took on the umpa lumpa !

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
braders7 said:
...see thats what i thought it was , my fave bit in church was when the bunny took on the umpa lumpa !

:D:D:D:D:D:D

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
See you are falling for the trap in believing the claptrap that is organised religion.

Easter (and just about every other Christian festival) is a pagan festival that has been over taken and corrupted to fit the needs of those proselytising this particular religion.

Easter makes no sense because it has nothing to do with jeasus it is the pagan festival celebrating the end of winter.

What better way of getting yourself accepted than taking over something that already exists and calling it something else. Beats having too start from scratch and convincing people to give up one festival for another.

This site is interesting reading but I don't give any guarantees on accuracy.
http://www.bright.net/~1wayonly/easter.html

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
timco said:
See you are falling for the trap in believing the claptrap that is organised religion.

Easter (and just about every other Christian festival) is a pagan festival that has been over taken and corrupted to fit the needs of those proselytising this particular religion.

Easter makes no sense because it has nothing to do with jeasus it is the pagan festival celebrating the end of winter.

Timco, that is a very silly statement. Yes, the dates of some Christian festivals were chosen to coincide with pagan festivals but that doesn't mean the festivals have anything to do with the original festival. Easter has taken over nothing from any pagan festival in any of the churches I'm familiar with. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
If the umpalumpa beat up the bunny on a sunny we would have a hot cross bunny.

*Have coat on already.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
harry_h said:
Shut up Timco, if that is your real name

Why should I?, Harry H if that's your real name.

Juan, name a festival (major one that is celebrated by the vast majority not just a minority of religious zealots, cos there is one form of Christian festival in most weeks with that number its surprising they have not had more hits!) that is not an existing celebration that the Christian religeon did not leach on to get acceptance.

I did not say that the existing Christian festival was anything to do with the original festival. I just said they took over the dates of the original festival and changed it.

I have even had some religious people tell me that the egg is the symbol of the rock that Jesus rolled away from his grave.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here