Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

East Central Brasserie

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
By the way im sure the food at the St Georges Day bash was good as its only tasting menus the crunch come when their doing it for 500 covers on the day ,look foward to hearing about the food service ect after the event hope all bodes well for a decient venue that doesnt serve up the dross you get at the Grand or Metropole hotels.

The Metropole food wasn't THAT bad. Wine service was often sloppy, mind.

The Head Chef knows his onions and can cut the mustard - so it's different gravy. They're training the catering staff now (apparently all bar four are people from Sussex). I'm sure that there will be hiccups here and there on the first event, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Sadly, I'm missing it. :(

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Metropole food wasn't THAT bad. Wine service was often sloppy, mind.

The Head Chef knows his onions and can cut the mustard - so it's different gravy. They're training the catering staff now (apparently all bar four are people from Sussex). I'm sure that there will be hiccups here and there on the first event, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Sadly, I'm missing it. :(

You missed out "the proof of the pudding" in your metaphor melange.

Big Mart

Sep 12, 2010
Hopefully it's a decent enough place to just to small portions of the adults menu for kids.

Seems a bit of a lack of fish too; given that half of the pictures at the top are of fish, though perhaps they'll be the specials.

Just booked a table. You pay a £5 non refundable deposit per person in advance. Kids under 13 can choose from the kids menu and prices for a kids main will be from £6.50 to £10.00.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
food

Im sure the new chef at the amex is great and his staff not knocking them at all,but if you large one thinkthe food is good at the met then you must be easierly pleased last time i went you could turn your plate upside down with the dessert still stuck to it and it didnt move a inch thank god for no more nails i say!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Im sure the new chef at the amex is great and his staff not knocking them at all,but if you large one thinkthe food is good at the met then you must be easierly pleased last time i went you could turn your plate upside down with the dessert still stuck to it and it didnt move a inch thank god for no more nails i say!

I didn't say it was good. I'm saying it wasn't dross, and I am a fussy chap when it comes to my food.

I've not had a BAD meal there - but that is mitigated by the fact I've never paid for one there either. Sorry to hear about your experiences though

The Head Chef at the Amex, I have been told, trained in the Army, went to work for several top hotels, and became the head chef for John Major while he was the Prime Minister. This bloke (can't remember his name) is seriously good.

Last edited:

I didn't say it was good. I'm saying it wasn't dross, and I am a fussy chap when it comes to my food.

I've not had a BAD meal there - but that is mitigated by the fact I've never paid for one there either. Sorry to hear about your experiences though

The Head Chef at the Amex, I have been told, trained in the Army, went to work for several top hotels, and became the head chef for John Major while he was the Prime Minister. This bloke (can't remember his name) is seriously good.
"Nice peas Norma."

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Any food can be fine dining if cooked well with good ingredients, pleasant surroundings and good service.

I agree with you completely, any dish can be made into something special, but for a menu to be fine dining it needs to have more than fish and chips, veg lasagne and sausage and mash. It's fine to include these dishes (perhaps with a twist) but these should be classics and not the main part of the menu!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Fish cakes, Rib-Eye cooked rare, creme brulee. Job done.

I can't see how people think it's overpriced, do you lot only eat in the harvester? I paid £20 for a bog standard fillet steak at the Griffin in fletching the other week - that is what you call overpriced.

£25 for two courses isn't bad. If you went somewhere like Cafe Rouge you'd be paying £18-20 for a starter and a main.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Billy the Fish quoted

Fish cakes, Rib-Eye cooked rare, creme brulee. Job done.

I can't see how people think it's overpriced, do you lot only eat in the harvester? I paid £20 for a bog standard fillet steak at the Griffin in fletching the other week - that is what you call overpriced.

£25 for two courses isn't bad. If you went somewhere like Cafe Rouge you'd be paying £18-20 for a starter and a main.

£25.00 may not be unreasonable for two good courses but I would have hoped for something more imaginative than as was quoted.

By the time you add on even the cheapest bottle of wine quoted (which may or may not be appropriate) and coffee, not a cheap evening.

I truly hope that the catering at the Amex will address itself to filling 'our catering facilities' , ie larger turnover based on smaller percentage profit, but, I am not necessarily suggesting that we should be going down market. Just, I would hate to see that we have those wonderful facilities lying substantially empty night after night.

Doing so may make more of us wish to go there ,regularly.

Hope they have a rethink !

PS, referring to the menu, as an example of the need to rethink, typically "locally reared pork sausage" should perhaps have read something like "sausages crafted from locally reared pork"

Last edited:

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
More than likely. Fish is often on the specials as it doesnt keep as long as a steak for example. Probably will see 2-3 different fish specials every other day.

Bookings now being taken. Bit different to the Withdean, innit?
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~2384500,00.html

As pointed out by others, the menu looks good, but at those prices, they could have used and shown on the menu local produce and local wines. we should be showcasing the best of Good Ole Sussex by the Sea.

For £30 I want know where the pig was farmed, it's favourite colour and it's mothers maiden name !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here