Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duplicate accounts

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What are people's views on how moderators should handle duplicate accounts on NSC?

Let's be clear: if a user has been previously banned for persistent abuse and they re-register they will be banned again as soon as their identity is known. They may keep below the radar for a while, but sooner or later something usually triggers an investigation into the specifics of their account.

This is more about when someone registers another account and uses it instead of, or as well as, their primary account. Common reasons might be...

- Mischief making
- Wanting to express some more extreme views than they are comfortable doing so with their main account
- Wanting a 'clean start', thereby informally abandoning their previous account and starting again.

As moderators we have the ability to merge multiple accounts together and can also block or delete an account if required.

I'm not going to make this a poll as a simple black/white rule might not apply, based on the particular circumstances.

Well, whadayafink?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Personally I always delete duplicate accounts and warn the 'original' user.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Personally I think it should be a single account for each person with no duplicate account but I suspect a certain Mod might struggle with that :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have more than one email address, more than one twitter account, so why not more than one NSC account? It is very easy to identify via IP addresses who the posters are, so unless it is a banned person trying to sneak back leave as is.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I think one account, but if someone wants to make a "clean start" and their new account reflects that then give them a chance

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have no problem with duplicate accounts other than if its a banned poster re-registering.

I think individual 'users' should be limited to one account. If they aren't brave enough to post something under their 'normal' username that suggests that they should probably think very carefully about posting it at all. If someone wants to 'abandon' an old username and start again they I don't see the harm in doing that - but they should let a mod (Bozza?) know and he can delete the old account. The vast vast vast majority of the 'mischief making' stuff is stupid and not at all entertaining anyway.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
can we have a way of stopping duplicates replying to themselves? Or perhaps posting under both names on the same thread?

I dont per se have a problem with duplicates unless they start to 'gang' up on users

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think if the duplicate account is used for parody or comedy purposes, fine. If it is used for extreme views, fishing, making it seem like you're more popular, etc. then they should be deleted.

If you've given your original account a bad name, then tough. You live with the consequence and earn back some good reputation, don't hide behind a new account.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
- Wanting to express some more extreme views than they are comfortable doing so with their main account

definatly merge. shouldnt be able to hide behind a second user to say somthing controversial.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
FWIW, I'm in the "leave it like it is and deal with any problem users when the arise" camp.

Then again, I got accused of being "on the warpath" for what I thought was some pretty lightweight moderating today... confused, moi?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Ones used to stir trouble and deliberately wind people up are not funny and I think there should be a case of them being highlighted by Mods as duplicates and the perpetrator unmasked. If they are harmless amusing ones then leave as is.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think individual 'users' should be limited to one account. If they aren't brave enough to post something under their 'normal' username that suggests that they should probably think very carefully about posting it at all. If someone wants to 'abandon' an old username and start again they I don't see the harm in doing that - but they should let a mod (Bozza?) know and he can delete the old account. The vast vast vast majority of the 'mischief making' stuff is stupid and not at all entertaining anyway.
agree entirely with the above.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think if the duplicate account is used for parody or comedy purposes, fine. If it is used for extreme views, fishing, making it seem like you're more popular, etc. then they should be deleted.

If you've given your original account a bad name, then tough. You live with the consequence and earn back some good reputation, don't hide behind a new account.
That's pretty much my view as well. Some of the bhadebenhams and London Pompous stuff was brilliant and it would be a shame to lose that element of NSC. I think all but the very stupid realised that they were parodies.

Pity the Bars Mar one got closed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't see the issue with duplicate accounts if they aren't used for anything bad. We wouldn't have 'London Pompous' for a start, if you deleted all of them.

Plus, how would all the haters fix it for the Honey Badger to fall at the final hurdle YET AGAIN, if there were no duplicate accounts!?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think all but the very stupid realised that they were parodies.

That is the funniest bit about them, the fact that the very stupid fall for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here