Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dunk to Chelsea?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh yeah.....

2000/1 Leicester

A couple hundred quid on Lewis moving will change the odds dramatically as they cover themselves very quickly even if there is nothing in it. Remember how short odds we saw Hughton for the Watford job 6/5 at one stage all because talk sport mentioned his name once as a suitable candidate and some plum builder from Walthamstow probably put £5 on it.

Even longer, Leicester were 5,000/1 and quite a few of their fans took it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

That price move will take less than a fiver with those risk averse jokers.

Could be rubbish but a (Millwall) Friend has just had a betting tip saying that Lewis Dunk is at Chelsea at the moment and to grab the odds 4/1

Edit. Odds dropped to 2/1. Not a good sign.

I could support Lewis going in the summer. He’s peaking, and although I love the guy he’s had a few errors in him this season. £50m would be a fair price.

But to sell him now with our PL status on the line is a huge gamble I feel. Bookies are never wrong so it’s a bit concerning.

Guys, surely we all know by now these odds mean nothing! Limited stakes & a few bets and the odds are slashed as they worry about inside knowledge. Of course, it could happen but I wouldn’t take any notice of any transfer / manager odds ever - or at least with a pinch of salt!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As hard as it would be seeing Lewis wearing a shirt other than the Albion's you couldn't begrudge him the big money move, the opportunity to prove that he can play European football and the chance to cement a place in the England squad. The timing would not be good now, but come the summer, the Albion making £50 million and still having good centre back options, would seem in line with Tony's plan to bring some long term sustainability through player development and sales.

However, were Chelsea to splash out £50 million on Dunky and still find the £600 billion+ it would cost to prise Zaha from the Croydon saltmines, we could end up seeing the two of them as teammates...... Dunk and Zaha..... In the same kit.... sharing a joke and slapping each other on the back.... I suppose this could provide some common ground between us and Palace fans. Both of us would be throwing up in our own mouths.... I wish this thought hadn't occurred to me..... I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is no evidence that he is going. I cannot see any circumstance in which that would be allowed in this window. Summer, yes.

Trouble is, a simple rumour starts by a desk journalists hand and folk make it fact.

I am totally confident he will be here in February.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Dunk and Zaha..... In the same kit.... sharing a joke and slapping each other on the back.... Zaha promptly flinging himself to the ground like he’s been shot....

Amended for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Lawrenson may have been of his time, but I would say he was already at his peak with us before continuing at Liverpool. He was an absolute star defender, who outpaced and outplayed the equally expensive star player of the day Trevor Francis, and made him look Sunday League. That's why Liverpool signed him. Lawro would walk in to today's Brighton team and still be a star.

This. Nothing to add.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Lawrenson may have been of his time, but I would say he was already at his peak with us before continuing at Liverpool. He was an absolute star defender, who outpaced and outplayed the equally expensive star player of the day Trevor Francis, and made him look Sunday League. That's why Liverpool signed him. Lawro would walk in to today's Brighton team and still be a star.

I don't think you can compare the two that easy. Today's footballers are faster and physically stronger which allows them to foul in much more subtle ways. But even if you can do that comparison imo Dunk is better because of his commitment when he plays, heart on his sleeve and all that. When he makes a mistake you can see his energy in trying to fix it. Lawro didn't have that level of passion.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I don't think you can compare the two that easy. Today's footballers are faster and physically stronger which allows them to foul in much more subtle ways. But even if you can do that comparison imo Dunk is better because of his commitment when he plays, heart on his sleeve and all that. When he makes a mistake you can see his energy in trying to fix it. Lawro didn't have that level of passion.

This is ridiculous. I love Lewis but Lawro was starting every game for the best team in the world at the time.
When Lewis has won a bunch of trophies at Liverpool, Real or Barca come back to us

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is ridiculous. I love Lewis but Lawro was starting every game for the best team in the world at the time.
When Lewis has won a bunch of trophies at Liverpool, Real or Barca come back to us

But Liverpool of 2020 would beat 80s Liverpool about 10-0. It's ludicrous to compare the two, football is lightyears faster and more skilful now.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

Yes. Lawro had pace, which Dunky through no fault of his own, does not. He also had the skill of a midfielder. He played for the Republic against England (Keegan and all) in midfield and dominated the game, as highlighted by the late Jimmy Hill.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
But Liverpool of 2020 would beat 80s Liverpool about 10-0. It's ludicrous to compare the two, football is lightyears faster and more skilful now.

However, if we slow this Liverpool down to 80s levels (pork pie before the match, three pints at halftime) and then went toe to toe, or indeed imagined that the 80s Liverpool we’re suddenly as fit and fast as their contemporary counterparts, well, I bet you a six pack of pork pies who’d ****ing win.

It’s like saying that Steve Vai can play quicker than Hendrix at his peak, yet Hendrix moves me and Vai makes me weep for the simple blues refrains of yore.

It’s faster, it’s quicker, but I can’t agree it’s ‘better...’ the dry ice in your eyes has clearly dulled your wits.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
However, if we slow this Liverpool down to 80s levels (pork pie before the match, three pints at halftime) and then went toe to toe, or indeed imagined that the 80s Liverpool we’re suddenly as fit and fast as their contemporary counterparts, well, I bet you a six pack of pork pies who’d ****ing win.

It’s like saying that Steve Vai can play quicker than Hendrix at his peak, yet Hendrix moves me and Vai makes me weep for the simple blues refrains of yore.

It’s faster, it’s quicker, but I can’t agree it’s ‘better...’ the dry ice in your eyes has clearly dulled your wits.

Yes, you are correct, if you make one thing worse and another thing better, the thing that is then better will win.

Your music comparison doesn't work either, because I was discussing results, not style.

Apart from that, you've played a blinder. :thumbsup: :wink:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

So training methods have changed.
Lawro was the equivalent of Van Dyke in a couple of years time if he wins a big bunch more trophies.
To compare him with Lewis at the moment is ridiculous

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Depends which 'rules' were applied.

80s refereeing, tackling and limited subs would see the 2020 team all limping off injured after about 5 minutes.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Discussion is about who the greatest Brighton player is/was so Lawro's time with Liverpool doesn't count. Lawro was at Brighton a lot less time than Dunk who has performed consistently well over that much longer period. If the question was who was the greatest player to spend some time playing for Brighton then the answer is Vicente. Best footballer in Spain at a time Spain were best footballing country. So your 'ridiculous ' falls short for me...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yes, you are correct, if you make one thing worse and another thing better, the thing that is then better will win.

Your music comparison doesn't work either, because I was discussing results, not style.

Apart from that, you've played a blinder. :thumbsup: :wink:

I’m rather proud of it nonetheless... Its funny, I read it (your post) as alluding to fitness and the athletics of the modern game, coupled with alleged improved skill... I remain convinced that if the 80s team was emerging in today’s game they’d be better than this current Liverpool team. You won’t change my mind.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Whose pitch will they play on, and by whose rules? That would make a lot of difference. Today's footballers probably have no idea of the amount of effort and energy required to even stand upright on some of the pitches used back then, let alone change direction at speed. Plus the fact that it was perfectly legal for the likes of Tommy Smith to launch himself feet first from three yards away....................

Certainly wouldn't be 10-0.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m rather proud of it nonetheless... Its funny, I read it (your post) as alluding to fitness and the athletics of the modern game, coupled with alleged improved skill... I remain convinced that if the 80s team was emerging in today’s game they’d be better than this current Liverpool team. You won’t change my mind.

I don't need to change your mind, nor will I try to. You are arguing a completely different point to the post of mine that you originally responded to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whose pitch will they play on, and by whose rules? That would make a lot of difference. Today's footballers probably have no idea of the amount of effort and energy required to even stand upright on some of the pitches used back then, let alone change direction at speed. Plus the fact that it was perfectly legal for the likes of Tommy Smith to launch himself feet first from three yards away....................

Certainly wouldn't be 10-0.

My post was assuming it would be on today's pitches.

And you're right.

It would probably be more like 12 or 13-0. It would be laughable.

My favourite example of this is always Glen Johnson. Absolutely mediocre modern footballer, yet has a highlights reel that if he was playing in the 60s he'd be seen as one of the best players of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here