• Just one of those things, it happens in the heat of the moment

Votes: 97 53.0%
  • Both were out of order

Votes: 30 16.4%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mistake by Sanchez imho, it was nearly handball it was so close to the edge of the area, with Duffy under it and a crowd of players absolutely no need for the keeper to be out there.

From what I saw Sanchez unnecessarily continued to admonish Duffy for not getting out of his way, and continued to do so until Duffy snapped back at him.

Everyone rushing to condemn Duffy, but unless you know what was being said, there’s no room for ‘oh he’s only young’ in no fault of Sanchez’s - in that situation the only thing Sanchez should be saying to Duffy is ‘sorry mate, my fault I shouldn’t have come for it’…

This. It was Duffy's ball to clear. No need for Sanchez to potentially strand himself on the very edge of his box

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mistake by Sanchez imho, it was nearly handball it was so close to the edge of the area, with Duffy under it and a crowd of players absolutely no need for the keeper to be out there.

From what I saw Sanchez unnecessarily continued to admonish Duffy for not getting out of his way, and continued to do so until Duffy snapped back at him.

Everyone rushing to condemn Duffy, but unless you know what was being said, there’s no room for ‘oh he’s only young’ in no fault of Sanchez’s - in that situation the only thing Sanchez should be saying to Duffy is ‘sorry mate, my fault I shouldn’t have come for it’…

Exactly how I saw it……FWIW I sit almost directly in line with the edge of the 6 yard box so had a clear view. Duffy seemed to be clearing it, Sanchez arrived as well and tried to punch (not sure if there was a call, but there was a crowd of players anyway), then Sanchez laid into Duffy immediately afterwards. Duffy replied, then Sanchez had another go - hardly surprising Duffy defended himself IMO.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Sanchez, Duffy, Veltman and Cucurella really didn't work together yesterday. Sanchez and Duffy coming for the same balls, Burnley forcing Duffy to bring the ball out of defence, Cucurella too far up the pitch and Duffy too slow to cover and Bissouma taking a days annual leave. The argument was a manifestation of all that which Sanchez started and Duffy isn't the type to walk away from an argument is he?

Such a shame Burn has gone. He was excellent before he left. Dunk doesn't look fit to me and Webster has picked up a load of niggles this year. We look better in a 3 giving the full backs the freedom to go forward. We couldn't play it yesterday as only 2 of the 4 were available (I know we played it later on but Cucarella in that spot only really worked for the last 10 of Leicester away). Let's hope for a reaction next week especially from Trossard and Bissouma who look like they have checked out. At least this shows both Sanchez and Duffy care.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not voting as its not possible without all the details (if Sanchez shouted, and what he said to Duffy etc..) but a defender with 300+ games needs to know better than getting physical with his own keeper when down 1-0 and in a vulnerable situation... keep it verbal (if anything). I very much doubt the second goal happens without this incident, its not just something affecting Sanchez & Duffy but also the rest of the team.

Anyway, shit happens. Duffy was bad yesterday, constantly in the wrong position, but overall his performances this season has been very good and hopefully he can return to that as we'll see plenty of him until the summer (probably not so much after that, but that is a later story).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From the West Upper it was impossible to tell whose "fault" it was but Duffy clearly lost the plot, unsettled the team and two minutes later committed a horredous error to gift them goal number two. Big Shane has mostly been great since his return but that was barely Celtic era Duffy yesterday. Just when we needed him to step up Weghorst gave him a football lesson.

Duffy/Veltman must be the weakest CB pairing we've ever played in the PL era. Hopefully Dunk and Webster back for Villa.

Nailed it

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Had that been Webster or Dunk who have played with Sanchez consistently they’d have both left it, it doesn’t matter where it is in the box whether it’s on the goal line or 10 yards out, a high ball like that particularly when the opposition have a 7ft striker, should always be claimed by the keeper.

For me that was a result of Duffy having not played that much with Sanchez, that’s always Sanchez claim.

Having said that the disagreement that ensued was just one of those things, wouldn’t chastise either for it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had that been Webster or Dunk who have played with Sanchez consistently they’d have both left it, it doesn’t matter where it is in the box whether it’s on the goal line or 10 yards out, a high ball like that particularly when the opposition have a 7ft striker, should always be claimed by the keeper.

For me that was a result of Duffy having not played that much with Sanchez, that’s always Sanchez claim.

Having said that the disagreement that ensued was just one of those things, wouldn’t chastise either for it.

Or Sanchez not playing with Duffy as that's always Duffy's claim and Sanchez should have been nowhere near it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I feel sorry for Potter. He decided Duffy wasn’t good enough for us 2 years ago yet the club have sold Burn and White without replacing them meaning Potter now has no choice but to play Duffy.

He could and perhaps should have chosen Roberts?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Or Sanchez not playing with Duffy as that's always Duffy's claim and Sanchez should have been nowhere near it.

:facepalm: Duffy got absolutely bullied by Weghorst yesterday are you really telling me it’s safer to leave that ball to someone who got bullied all day by a giant than leaving it to Sanchez who is already 6’4 and probably has 9ft jumping reach with arms extended?

That ball is Sanchezs all day, especially in a game like yesterday where our centre halves got bullied.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It reminds me of the Rolling Stones story of them waiting for Watts and as Charlie walks into the room hears Jagger saying ‘where’s my ****ing drummer?’ To which Charlie walks up to Mick, punches him and says ‘I’m not your ****ing drummer, you’re my ****ing singer!’.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:facepalm: Duffy got absolutely bullied by Weghorst yesterday are you really telling me it’s safer to leave that ball to someone who got bullied all day by a giant than leaving it to Sanchez who is already 6’4 and probably has 9ft jumping reach with arms extended?

That ball is Sanchezs all day, especially in a game like yesterday where our centre halves got bullied.

Sanchez had to go an awful long way through everybody, Duffy was already there and my memory leads me to believe got a decent contact on the ball.

(But I'll happily walk that back in the unlikely event I ever watch the 'highlights'.)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sanchez, Duffy, Veltman and Cucurella really didn't work together yesterday. Sanchez and Duffy coming for the same balls, Burnley forcing Duffy to bring the ball out of defence, Cucurella too far up the pitch and Duffy too slow to cover and Bissouma taking a days annual leave. The argument was a manifestation of all that which Sanchez started and Duffy isn't the type to walk away from an argument is he?

Such a shame Burn has gone. He was excellent before he left. Dunk doesn't look fit to me and Webster has picked up a load of niggles this year. We look better in a 3 giving the full backs the freedom to go forward. We couldn't play it yesterday as only 2 of the 4 were available (I know we played it later on but Cucarella in that spot only really worked for the last 10 of Leicester away). Let's hope for a reaction next week especially from Trossard and Bissouma who look like they have checked out. At least this shows both Sanchez and Duffy care.
Could have played a back three of Veltman-Duffy-Roberts. These days I suppose it's considered a big ask to bring in a young defeder with no first team experience for a starting role. Could have brought on Roberts when we went to a three though, and given Cucu the chance to let rip.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

The defensive pairing looked as out of sorts as we did at home to Wolves…..oh that included BDB …and Veltman, probably first time they’d played together, as I’d suggest Duffy and Veltman did yesterday…but let’s face it the whole team were off it ..including young Tariq imho

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly how I saw it……FWIW I sit almost directly in line with the edge of the 6 yard box so had a clear view. Duffy seemed to be clearing it, Sanchez arrived as well and tried to punch (not sure if there was a call, but there was a crowd of players anyway), then Sanchez laid into Duffy immediately afterwards. Duffy replied, then Sanchez had another go - hardly surprising Duffy defended himself IMO.

I sit in line with the penalty area, and to say it was nearly handball by Sanchez is an exaggeration.

It’s not about fault, but about what happened afterwards. Leave it to the dressing room, shoving on the pitch is not a good look and in fact plays into the oppositions hands.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Daft from big Bob if you ask me.
There's only one person in the squad he's never going to beat in a fight and it's Duffy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I sit in line with the penalty area, and to say it was nearly handball by Sanchez is an exaggeration.

It’s not about fault, but about what happened afterwards. Leave it to the dressing room, shoving on the pitch is not a good look and in fact plays into the oppositions hands.

It was beyond the pen spot (not that I’m not guilty of creative license) I think Sanchez landed near the 18yrd line when he came down, I sit in line with the pen spot and was surprised he came that far out. I also think you made a good point that Duffy is a senior member of the side and an experienced international - perhaps vice versa a younger player shouldn’t be be quite so demonstrative with his criticism.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The defensive pairing looked as out of sorts as we did at home to Wolves…..oh that included BDB …and Veltman, probably first time they’d played together, as I’d suggest Duffy and Veltman did yesterday…but let’s face it the whole team were off it ..including young Tariq imho

The amount of times we have over hit passes to TL yesterday and the preceding games is a source of frustration for me. It doesn't need to be an inch perfect pass if it's a foot race there is only going to be 1 winner. You are right though, they were all off it and as per the original post none more so than Trossard (appreciating he had a tough assignment at 0-2 but he was nowhere near his best at Man U either) and Bissouma. If they have checked out - next week should help inform us - then we may as well start preparing the likes of Caicedo now as I really don't want to see Bissouma doing a Liam Bridcutt for the rest of the season. Roberts as well as per [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] if he isn't going to play now, then when? Relegation isn't going to happen and neither is Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here