Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy and Celtic's latest embarassment

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
In that game McAllister and Connolly got assists. Hopefully thats a sign for tonight.

Stumpy Tim

That is a good point, but on the other hand if your team is well set-up from a shape perspective, pure 1:1’s shouldn’t occur that frequently.

I guess it is risk and reward. Playing for Hughton's Brighton or a team like Burnley, there will always be protection right in front of the back four. Potter's Brighton is set up well, but it is different - it is set up to retain possession to avoid those situations. However, when we do lose possession a player like White is better at defending 1:1's than Duffy. That's not a criticism of Duffy, but a recognition of strengths.

It would be like asking Connolly to be a target man rather than playing off the shoulder.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Oh dear.

Celtic lose to St Mirren at home for the first time in 31 years :lolol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54671303

But concerningly.....

It was harsh on St Mirren, yet they responded within minutes. Not for the first time this season, Shane Duffy was found wanting. The centre-back failed to deal with a routine cross from Kyle McAllister as Durmus superbly took the ball down and dispatched his first league goal of the season.

Those predicting he'd rip up the MTL are still wrong it seems. What to do with him when this is over. Will anyone want him?

But interestingly he was the highest rated palyer in the team according to the BBC stats... but that was a low 3.75 but still 1 more than the next highest. Shane is getting shown up but it looks like the rest of those around him are poor as well.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hughton played to his strengths, forcing teams to throw in crosses. When exposed to forwards 1:1 he's decidedly average

He should go to Forest.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasn't he a bit shit before he joined us, I seem to remember Blackburn supporters being glad to get rid. Always rated him myself but maybe it was the DD partnership that made him a success here.

Gordon Greer went in the other direction. I had a look on their forums. They definitely felt they got the short end of the stick in the deal.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
But interestingly he was the highest rated palyer in the team according to the BBC stats... but that was a low 3.75 but still 1 more than the next highest. Shane is getting shown up but it looks like the rest of those around him are poor as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was a bunch of Ranger's fans taking the proverbial.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'd be interested to know how his current fitness statistics compare to what he was like when he left Brighton.
He seems a bit slower and heavier and I would guess he's not in a good place mentally.
Shane only turned 29 on 1st Jan. It would be great if he could find a progressive looking championship club that has a strong fitness regime and where his experience of challenging for promotion can be shared.
He still has six years of a decent level of football in him.

If Hughton survives the season at Forest I’d expect he’d be high on his list of captures for a tilt at promotion. Right now I’d happily make our money back on him, what was it £4m or something?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
For all those saying it was about about the Dunk partnership - he played well on occasion when Dunk was suspended, and turned in some of the greatest defensive displays for all time for Ireland alongside the likes of Ciaran Clarke and Richard Keogh.

I do think both the media and Celtic fans have made him the focus of attention when there is something much deeper that is wrong with that side.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As I said on the main Duffy thread, having watched the guy play for some years now I think he’s a far far better player than Celtic are seeing right now.

Can only be poor management, wrong system, surrounded by worse players... and with the general shit show under Lennon with the pasting he’s getting from Scottish fans you can imagine his confidence must be incredibly hit.

Unfortunately he’s going to have to cut his losses and move to another club. I honestly believe he’s easily good enough for the PL still. Imagine him at Burnley for instance.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Oh dear.

Celtic lose to St Mirren at home for the first time in 31 years :lolol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54671303

But concerningly.....

It was harsh on St Mirren, yet they responded within minutes. Not for the first time this season, Shane Duffy was found wanting. The centre-back failed to deal with a routine cross from Kyle McAllister as Durmus superbly took the ball down and dispatched his first league goal of the season.

Those predicting he'd rip up the MTL are still wrong it seems. What to do with him when this is over. Will anyone want him?

We blew our chance to get 10+ mill for him, west ham were sniffing back then too, under 5 now for sure.... Hughton may have a sniff, but shows the folly of not getting rid of an unwanted player. He's massively devalued up there, and thats a lesson I hope we learn?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
mmm lot of people thinking Duffy was no good but yet he was our player of the season 2 years ago.

Can't argue with people who are watching him week in week out but the guy is better than this , we know that. Is he partying too much or is just the formation ? . Might wake up sometime and realise this was a year to make history.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We blew our chance to get 10+ mill for him, west ham were sniffing back then too, under 5 now for sure.... Hughton may have a sniff, but shows the folly of not getting rid of an unwanted player. He's massively devalued up there, and thats a lesson I hope we learn?

I do think we hedge our bets with a lot of these loans so that we've still got a decent Championship squad if we go down and lose a few. However, I can't ever see Duffy suiting Potterball. I pointed it out almost as soon as GP was appointed and was told on here there was no way our player of the season would be dropped. We absolutely should have cashed in on him in particular. Many of our loans make sense, but Duffy should have been sold.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We blew our chance to get 10+ mill for him, west ham were sniffing back then too, under 5 now for sure.... Hughton may have a sniff, but shows the folly of not getting rid of an unwanted player. He's massively devalued up there, and that's a lesson I hope we learn?

Probably we weren't keen to sell to a rival - but in retrospect getting £10M from WHU would have been good, as they're well away from us this season. Wouldn't have been happy with him improving West Brom though.
Be nice if we could get him out of Celtic and loaned elsewhere before tomorrow evening; unlikely though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here