Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dublin, Shipperley, Dichio and Raziak say 'No' to the Albion

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
lbion manager Mark McGhee has lost out to his close friend Gordon Strachan in a bid to sign Dion Dublin.

Dublin has joined Strachan's Celtic for the rest of the season after having his contract with the Seagulls' fellow Championship strugglers Leicester terminated by mutual consent.

Dublin is not the only well-known player McGhee has missed out on in his hunt for an experienced target man.

The Argus can reveal Albion also made a bid for Sheffield United's Neil Shipperley, as well as asking about the availability of Tottenham's Grzegorz Rasiak and Danny Dichio of Preston. Until McGhee signs a striker, Mark McCammon's chance of a move to outside of Sainsbury's in London Road hang in the balance.

Meanwhile, the Seagulls' hopes of landing two less experienced strikers before the transfer window shuts tonight have been held up.

They were still locked in negotiations last night to resolve a permanent deal for a player who has been at a League One club. A loan agreement for the other player has been delayed due to injury problems at his Premiership club.

McGhee will exploit a Football League inspired loophole in the transfer regulations to pursue his interest in loan signings beyond the midnight deadline.

The League's resistance to the August and January transfer window system imposed by FIFA allows for ëemergency' (short-term) loans once the window closes.

McGhee plans to make the most of the situation to add not only his forward target but other new faces to his relegation-threatened squad.

He has made no secret of his desire to sign both a leftback and midfielder and he will still have the opportunity after tonight to bring in players on loans lasting a maximum of 93 days, although they can only be signed between February 7 and the customary transfer deadline on March 23.

The February 7 starting point is due to a seven-day ëcooling off' period after the January window.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who'd want to manage or play for this club except an Albion fan or everyone else's rejects, and some of those would rather play reserve team football than come here apparently That makes depressing reading and I expect MgGhee to walk before long. How the feck is he supposed to work under those circumstances?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Icy Gull said:
Who'd want to manage or play for this club except an Albion fan or everyone else's rejects, and some of those would rather play reserve team football than come here apparently That makes depressing reading and I expect MgGhee to walk before long. How the feck is he supposed to work under those circumstances?

Which is why I appreciate him. He knows the restrictions and handicaps and still wants to be in the fight with us.
Some fans can only see as far as their noses.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Icy Gull said:

As many people have stated before other managers have had no problems bringing in quality loans, and Crewe have been signing reasonable players. There are only a certain amount of excuses left.

I would like to see the chances of Mcghee getting another job if he did walk.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
dwayne said:
As many people have stated before other managers have had no problems bringing in quality loans, and Crewe have been signing reasonable players. There are only a certain amount of excuses left.

Ahh so it's McGhee's fault, and there was me thinking it was probably money and Withdean :rolleyes: How thick am I.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dwayne said:

hmm... a manager who has never been relegated from this level of football and has a good cv of success at this level. Difficult one eh?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is annoying me for a number of reasons, however the main one is that the club could have got ships in in the summer and we could of avoided all this and also why would he want to move down now?

Also Rasiak is one of the most sought after players for Championship sides so what is the point wasting time going after him?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
dwayne said:

Crewe!! what quality decent player have they signed on loan or permanent in the last 3 0r 4 years .. granted they have produced good players via the youth system but they are like us and havent a pot to piss in or attract players

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
dwayne said:

Maybe I've gone a bit senile but I am struggling to remember which Championship quality strikers that Adams, Taylor and Coppell brought in when we needed them. Can you list them for me Dwayne?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yorkie said:
hmm... a manager who has never been relegated from this level of football and has a good cv of success at this level. Difficult one eh?

Saying that Coppell had and yet got the plum job in this league - its not all about relegation and promotion.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yorkie said:

What success has he had at this level?

He failed at Wolves with a lot of money to spend, he failed at Leicester with a lot of money to spend and the Millwall fans detested him by the time he left.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Icy Gull said:
Maybe I've gone a bit senile but I am struggling to remember which Championship quality strikers that Adams, Taylor and Coppell brought in when we needed them. Can you list them for me Dwayne?

I didn't say strikers did I

Ingamarrson
Sidwell

were quality signings

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Srtikers.

Benjamin.

Errr...Webb

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
What "quality" players have Crewe signed this season? Suhaj? Ugarte?

We could have signed Shipperley in the summer could we? How do you know this?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
dwayne said:
I didn't say strikers did I

Ingamarrson
Sidwell

were quality signings

Pretty sure McGhee is focusing on strikers due to budget limitations, Coppell was lucky enough to have Zamora here, so we already had a decent striker with experience.

McGhee has brought in Reid and McShane so he's only done marginally worse than Coppell.

Blaming McGhee is too easy

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Icy Gull said:

Perhapse it has as much to do with his management style. I expect that they are all used to being allowed on the coach home! :censored:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this is very depressing. The fact that the Argus has been constantly telling us players will be signed first before the Leeds game then Sheff Utd then Burnley, McGhee has also said it. I wish we'd just keep scthum say nothing. I'm back to thinking we are going down again this morning FFS

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Dougal said:
this is very depressing. The fact that the Argus has been constantly telling us players will be signed first before the Leeds game then Sheff Utd then Burnley, McGhee has also said it. I wish we'd just keep scthum say nothing. I'm back to thinking we are going down again this morning FFS

Why didn't you think we were going down before? Millwall have new Chairman with money being spent, Leicester have sacked that idiot Lavine. Only Crewe are worse than us! :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here