Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dropping like flies.....

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
So Nani is added to list of players out of the world cup before its even begun. I make it the following players out or possibly out:

Beckham
Ferdinand
Owen (had he been selected)
Ballack
Robben - possibly
Drogba - another possibly
Nani

Any more players?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
John Obi Mikel
Michael Essien

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Rumours going around that Nani injured himself whilst practicing his goal celebration.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Paul Scholes.

We didn't give him enough time to "think" about it, apparently.

beardosh

Dec 14, 2009
Paul Scholes.

Hardly an injury though is it?!

I applaud his reasons for not coming back - states he would feel guilty about taking another players place when they have slogged it around Europe to get us qualified.

Think we just need a keeper and a couple of defenders and we'll have one hell of a team!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Rumours going around that Nani injured himself whilst practicing his goal celebration.

I've long wondered why managers don't clamp down on back flip style celebrations. If I was Fergusson and Nani did his ankle celebrating a goal I'd go head-mental.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hardly an injury though is it?!

I applaud his reasons for not coming back - states he would feel guilty about taking another players place when they have slogged it around Europe to get us qualified.

Think we just need a keeper and a couple of defenders and we'll have one hell of a team!

Injured priorities maybe. A guy who does a 15 hour week gives up playing for his country so he can spend MORE "time with his family".
:rolleyes:

Capello offered him a way back and he threw it in his face. Not that I think he'd bring much to the table these days anyway for England, but if your Country comes calling, as a professional then never mind the excuses. You should bloody well answer that call.

You're a long time retired. When his legs pack up, I wonder if he'll regret turning his back on his country and playing at the highest possible level, having a chance of etching his name in the history books.

I have no time for Scholes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Paul Scholes.

Very harsh, I believe the conversation went

Sven "Scholesy, will you come back?"

Scholesy "No, I want to spend time with my family"

McClown "Scholesy, will you come back?"

Fabio, at the start of the qualifiers "Scholesy, will you come back?"

Fabio, a couple of months ago "Scholesy, will you come back?"

Scholesy "No, this has come as a surprise to me, and I don't have enought time to make a decision"

beardosh

Dec 14, 2009
You're a long time retired. When his legs pack up, I wonder if he'll regret turning his back on his country and playing at the highest possible level, having a chance of etching his name in the history books.

With 66 International Caps over 7 years along with 9 League Titles, 2 European Cups and numerous FA and League Cups I don't think he'll have any regrets. To be honest who has managed to 'etch' their name in the history books playing for England lately?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Get off your high horses for f*** sake. So Scholes turned England down? Maybe for HIM the World Cup just isn't as important as spending some time IN THE SUMMER with his family is. Maybe he wants a few weeks on holiday in that time that he can't get during the season, when he and his kids are young enough to enjoy it properly?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be honest who has managed to 'etch' their name in the history books playing for England lately?

Exactly. And how many players get the opportunity to ?
We're outsiders again this year, as we always are. But there's always that chance that the luck will go our way for once, and he could have been a part of it. Christ, medals for Man U are about as valuable as chocolate buttons these days. But a winners medal with England - thats a bit special. THATS history.

But instead he'll be somewhere on a beach again this summer, just like he has been for the last 5 years, and like he'll be each summer for the rest of his ginger life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very harsh, I believe the conversation went

Sven "Scholesy, will you come back?"

McClown "Scholesy, will you come back?"

Fabio, at the start of the qualifiers "Scholesy, will you come back?"

Fabio, a couple of months ago "Scholesy, will you come back?"

Scholesy "No, this has come as a surprise to me, and I don't have enought time to make a decision"

:lolol:
That would about sum it up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

It's not often that I disagree with my friend (and part time lover of course) but I would rather have one Paul Scholes in my team than a dozen JT's, Ashley Coles etc.

I do have some links to United, and he is the nicest most down to earth player they have (along with Ryan Giggs). He pulled out of international football because he couldn't stand the wankers in the England squad and the arselickers/backstabbers in the press. It wasn't anything to do with 'wanting to spend more time with his family'.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
To be honest who has managed to 'etch' their name in the history books playing for England lately?

The last I can think of is Gary Lineker winning the golden boot...at Mexico 86!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's not often that I disagree with my friend (and part time lover of course) but I would rather have one Paul Scholes in my team than a dozen JT's, Ashley Coles etc.

I do have some links to United, and he is the nicest most down to earth player they have (along with Ryan Giggs). He pulled out of international football because he couldn't stand the wankers in the England squad and the arselickers/backstabbers in the press. It wasn't anything to do with 'wanting to spend more time with his family'.

Fair play El P, you have an inside track on the guy that I do not. And the way Scholes conducts himself off the pitch is INFINITELY more dignified and preferable than some of the feral scrotes in the England team.

But I STILL maintain that as a pro, if your countries manager wants you in that squad because he thinks you can add to it, then you should put personal differences aside, personal preferences aside, and answer the call. It was, to an extent, understandable he didn't want to join up with the likes of McClown. But when a legendary figure such as Capello picks up the phone, and asks you to help win the World Cup, then surely there can only be one answer.

To then come out and say "maybe if he'd phoned me a bit earlier so I had more time to think"....I mean CHRIST :facepalm:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I disagree with you Easy.

It's Carragher that pisses me off. He does f*** all throughout the qualifying campaign, after retiring because he didn't want to be on the bench, then the chance comes to go to a World Cup and he takes back everything he said. He's not first choice so why change your mind? Oh it's the glamorous part of the tournament now so I'm in. He's not even been good this season so I blame Fabio for picking him too!

At least Scholes stuck by his retirement decision, however wrong some people view retiring from playing for your country.

This whole not having enough time to think about it business is a bit fishy though I must admit

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here